Why do we listen to music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

Escape, pure and simple. It does something to my mind, disconnects something somewhere that allows deep introspection and thought. It takes me to another place.

Bemagnus and She is anyway like this.
  2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I consciously avoid listening to music as background; I try to reserve the greatest form of art for times when I can devote my entire attention to the music. As to why - Jeffczar indicated escape. Hmm...maybe. I can certainly envision using music as an escape, but I'm not sure that that's why I listen to it. Sometimes I listen to music to become more in tune with something rather than as a means to escape from something else. But his point is valid. If the music doesn't take you somewhere else, has it served its purpose? Many of us who wait for buses with ear buds in might say "of course." As someone who will not denigrate music to the point of it being a diversion/distraction, I say "absolutely not."

Peter Pyle, Bemagnus and Jeffczar like this.
  3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

It s very interesting following this thread. It s obvious that for many of us the musicexperience has a profound effect.
    Ocasinally I can have music in the background but its not optimal. Because if the music grabs my attention I lose whatever it is Im doing. Music might be an escape but it can also be the opposite and actually bring me closer to myself. Like meditation in a way.

4. Bemagnus

To really fokus on musilistening takes time . Most people-me included- doesn t have all that much time. So I guess one has to use it as background sometimes. I drive a lot and the car is one space thats great for music though

5. Spacement Monitor

Spacement Monitor Forum Resident

It's all part of Jann Wenner's evil plans.

6. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

I find it exciting & stimulating to listen to. A world without music is a sad world.

Front 242 Addict and Bemagnus like this.
  7. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Music takes me to my happy place. I let it wash over me and I disconnect from everything else while I'm listening. It's only me and the music. And I soak it in. And I must add, I listen to it the way it was intended to be listened to... from beginning to end... always.

Bemagnus likes this.
  8. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

So we can play with our toys.

9. Deryl Johnson

Deryl Johnson Well-Known Member

Originally I listened because I played bass in a jazz band, and I was picking up some tricks and listening to the different styles of other Bassists. Now, music is a time machine that can take me back to any year that I want, and some of the awesome musicians that are out there (Albert Lee, for instance) are so uncannily good that it's almost like going into the future, because it seems impossible for anyone on Earth to play any instrument that well.

Bemagnus likes this.
  10. Bemagnus

Albert Lee sure is one of the best guitarists in my book .Hearing people like him play is not a bad reason for listening to music

11. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Listening to music... When reading about it just won't do... ;)

She is anyway likes this.
  12. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

To dance like we've got ants in our pants.

Urban Spaceman likes this.
  13. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

To escape reality! Why else? :D
    ---------- Chris

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it feeds our soul...

15. Bemagnus

And empties our wallets. But its Worth it

Michael likes this.
  16. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

"Frequency Fulfillment"

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I was watching the Ginger Baker documentary and there's a part where he states he doesn't listen to music. I can see a time where I'll do the same. I find myself liking quiet more and more. Maybe after so much music has passed through you it becomes noisy in there.

For now I still enjoy music. I think it's more of a comfort than it is a charge now. There are times where music inspires me but not as often. Same with it being an escape to another place in my mind and heart. Still happens but not as often.

Last night I was goofing around with the guitar. Hadn't for a very long time. Nor had I sang for a long time. I started singing "Cold Cold World" by Blaze Foley. My voice sounded weak deep and tired. I recorded it on my phone. I sounded pretty real. Like I meant it. And while I sang I got that good sad feeling.

I sent it to my best friend who is an ex. I knew she'd understand. And she did. I wasn't sad just ready to sing a song that meant something. We talked about the song and why I picked it and she complimented me on how my singing the song touched her. We examined the song and like always she was able to lead me to discover more about the song and what it means and how it applies to life and growth as a human being. I grew some emotionally and as a human being last night. All because of a song.

That's music.

You should enjoy it, who knows when that won't come again ever.

Urban Spaceman and Bemagnus like this.
  18. RomanBlade

RomanBlade Forum Resident

Like for many people, music is enjoyment and pleasure. However, music would have the ability to send chills down my body. Even as a 6-year-old kid I remember hearing the song A Whole New World that was on Disney's Aladdin and it blew my mind. I'm sure I had other instances where music magnetized my senses but this has to be the earliest and most powerful reaction I had to music that I can remember because of the young age. Throughout elementary school I would ride the school bus to and from school and the bus driver would play the radio which had all the popular pop songs of the time playing so music was always a part of my life from a young age. Many people have said that music was like a soundtrack to their lives which I can totally relate to. So many times I remember deeply immersed in the popular music of the 90s as if I was in a hypnotic state as I stared out the window of the school bus in the 90s throughout elementary school and transitioning into elementary school when pop music of the late 90s really took a turn for the worst and coincidentally so did my outlook on life.

19. Michael

Indeed...money well spent when one learns to control the passion!

20. Bemagnus

Must say this thread is turning out very interesting. Reading all this stories about music makes me reflect about my own listenining and collector habits. Thanks everyone for that

21. Bemagnus

I would say that the lack of selfcontrol when it comes to collecting have caused some problems before. Not anymore because 1 I don t collect as much 2 I can afford it

22. Michael

years ago I was bad! I often bought multiples of my favorites! no more...

23. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I just thought of another answer.

Can't dance........................................

24. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Ok... another answer...

I was cleaning the seeds and stems out on this cardboard thing and discovered this black round thing inside..................................

25. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Endorphin fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.