Can the Bob Dylan 1965-1966 LP Trilogy Be Topped?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Expectant One

Expectant One Well-Known Member

Sure, some examples:

The Beatles - Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper
    Metallica - Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All
    Yes - The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge (though this one is especially thanks to the latter two albums)

And then we have the 80s Iron Maiden albums, where I don't really know where to start and where to end the trilogy (7 mind-blowing albums in a row!), but Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is my favourite trilogy by them. :)

If I enjoyed "Highway 61 Revisited" more, this post might not be worth writing, though. Bringing and Blonde are just amazing.

2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

This is an interesting three-great-album-in-a-row example:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

You omitted their best album Sound Magazine, which was #3

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

So we have another Partridge Family aficionado. ...
    ;) Arnie

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I woke up in love this morning

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

You might think he loves you for your money/ But I know what he really loves you for/ It’s your brand new leopard-skin pill-box hat...

;) Arnie

7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Guess its up to each and every listener to decide.But there are other great trilogies that arguably had the same impact
    Revolver
    Sergeant Pepper
    The White album

Pancat likes this.
  8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

When I saw David Cassidy drinking alone at my local "Cheesecake Factory" at 4 in the afternoon a couple weeks after being arrested for DWI I briefly considered going up to him and being like, "On your own/far away from home/there doesn't seem to be a friend when you're alone" but he'd have probably punched me in the face.

Aghast of Ithaca likes this.
  9. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Other than Revolver/Pepper/White Album, I don't think so. People have been listing favorites, but as far as sheer lyrical genius, musical innovation (in this case, establishing a new genre of music), and peer influence...including rewriting the rules by establishing authenticity as the most important criteria for judging a vocal...not only have they not been topped, I don't think they ever will be.

IronWaffle likes this.
  10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Well, if it's a matter of innovation...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

sjaca, Jeffczar, rockinlazys and 2 others like this.
  11. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aftermath and 905 like this.
  12. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

It's the best of the three. :p

The intensity and focus of the acoustic side is incredible. Things get increasingly stoned and sloppy over the next two albums, great as they are.

13. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rodney Toady likes this.
  14. bfackler

bfackler Senior Member

My interest in music goes back to the Twist craze as heard on Chicago's WLS. My first performers that became an obsession were The Beach Boys. My life was changed by The Beatles and the rest of the British Invasion. With that being my musical perspective, I would say that Bob Dylan's trilogy of 65-66 albums are the greatest in the history of rock and roll.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  15. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

One of the few persons I have heard calling Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde sloppy. Guess some if it were made during the influence but I wouldn t exactley name Like a Rolling Stone or Sadeyed lady of the Lowlands stoned. Those and much of the other tracks on these albums are timeless works of art that will be studied and awed when most other pop/ rockmusic are long forgotten. If I had to pick one album as the rock eras greatest I guess I d pick Blonde on Blonde.

16. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

If you listen to Bringing It All Back Home...the live recordings from Newport '65...Positively 4th Street...Highway 61 Revisited...Please Crawl Out Your Window...Blonde on Blonde...and then the Live 1966 recordings, all in sequence, you can't help but feel the intensity of an artist testing the boundaries of expression.

“...The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.”
    Jack Kerouac, On the Road

17. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Well, Quadrophenia was the next studio album after the incredible Who's Next...it doesn't matter how many years after it came out?? I just think that Tommy, Who's Next and Quadrophenia make up one heck of a trilogy!

18. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Today ,Pet Sounds,Smile
    Rubber Soul,Revolver,Sgt Pepper

Pancat likes this.
  19. Moth

Moth fluttering by

You seem to be forgetting Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!), Beach Boys Party!, and that Smile was never released.

20. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I think that's your criteria, but there have been plenty of three album runs that people can easily say are just as good...and the'd be right. Whether your looking at how Metallica changed Heavy Metal, The Beastie Boys changed Rap/Alternative music, how Jane's Addiction changed Metal/Alternative music, how Led Zeppelin was the prototype for light/heavy hard rock, How the Allmans defined Southern Rock, etc... There are three album runs that establish new genres of music and influenced artists going forward. If a partucular run speaks more to an individual, then they are right in saying so.

21. There are numerous artists who have just as much a point and who actually can sing. Singing ability is certainly not the only important point in a singer/songwriter, but it is important for me. It's especially important that a singer's voice is not actually irritating.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  22. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Although I'd probably just do White Music through Wasp Star! :) Seriously, I couldn't be loving every XTC album any more than I have lately...

23. live evil

live evil Senior Member

Some of the responses to this thread have made me laugh out loud and and scratch my head (often at the same time).
    I'm not naming names, but seriously?
    You may not like Dylan, but I seriously doubt anyone can argue with the cultural significance of that particular 3 album run. If you're commenting in a forum such as this, on a thread such as this, then these 3 albums are important - period.
    There are other 3 album runs that come close for artistic and cultural value (most if not all of them have been mentioned), but then I think there are people just throuwing some "nice" 3 album runs up against the wall to see if they stick.

sjaca, Jeffczar, scobb and 2 others like this.
  24. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

You see, I take the question in the title literally. Can they be topped says nothing about cultural significance. It's 100% subjective, and the answer for a lot of people is yes. I don't listen to cultural significance. I listen to music I enjoy.

25. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Considering this is the only band to beat the Beatles in a pole on the Steve Hoffman forum it must follow that this is the best "trilogy" of all time?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.