Artists whose commercial potential you got 100% wrong

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Judge Judy, Jul 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Django

Django Forum Resident

Rodrigo y Gabriel

RickH likes this.
  2. mfp

mfp Senior Member

I remember hearing this song and thinking : This is gonna be huge.

I was wrong, the record flopped, and even the critics trashed it. I still think it's a very good song.

3. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Very true. I thought Symphony Or Damn would be the reboot. "Delicate" should have been a smash (why "She Kissed Me" was used as the flip was beyond me, as it would have been another great single). And "Do You Love Me Like You Say You Do" seemed perfect for the radio at the time.

Although I will say (and I know I'm in a very small minority), I love every second of Neither Fish Nor Flesh. Did from the first spin.

4. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

It's a very good thing that there's no stock market for pop stars or I would have gone broke years ago. A couple big misses:

D'Angelo - what the hell?

Clay Aiken - I would have bet big that the grandmas and little girls who swooned over him on AI would have kept him at the top of the MOR charts for years.

Oh, well. I lose enough money on traditional stocks.

5. I thought Rap would be a flash in the pan.

junk and Peter Pyle like this.
  6. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Where do I start? Madonna, rap, dance music in general from the last 20 years, and pretty much every Top 40 act in the last decade or two as well.

I'm at the point now where nothing really surprises me anymore. :(

7. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

I didn't expect Rihanna to be as successful as she is. I thought she would have a career like Ashanti's.

HeavensAbove likes this.
  8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Ben Kweller.
    I really thought/think he's a great songwriter. Success on a grand scale has eluded him. A true musical talent.

fourfeathers likes this.
  9. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I've never even heard that. I liked it though.

10. nbakid2000

She was already blowing up before that performance.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, her 15 minutes of fame a a clotheshanger that can be autotuned in the studio are long long over and she's still around. Kind of shocking, really.

sunspot42 and zen like this.
  12. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Which shows that I was more than 100% wrong.

13. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Not to mention blowing up on this forum. Remember how if we didn't think that she was full of awesomeness that we hated women?

14. craigh

craigh Well-Known Member

I thought that Rachel Sweet would have been the next big thing in the early 80's with that voice & her first two albums. Well her third & fourth albums went steadily downhill as well as her music career.

15. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

I thought Nevermind would sell 50,000 copies. Mind you, that's 10,000 more than Geffen thought it would.

16. violarules

violarules Senior Member

As a gay man who loved Cyndi as a little kid, I guess I could have predicted that single-handedly. :D

Her unflinching advocacy sure doesn't hurt, either.

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You were right, weren't you? I mean, it DID sell 50,000 copies - it kept selling more after that, but that doesn't negate the fact it did sell 50,000 copies! :D

18. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

"Change" isn't slow. It would work well in a club. "Symptoms of Loneliness & Heartache" and "It's Got To Be Real" could have worked there as well.

19. Nevermind was an album I didn't think would break big, but I certainly thought it should - I was thinking "geez, there's no reason these guys couldn't be big, I think a lot of people would like this album if they got to hear it!" But, it nevertheless seemed to me like the sort of album that might top out at a quarter million at a push, if they did a lot of touring and got some breaks. I figured Soundgarden would be the band to make the major breakthrough for the Seattle scene, and while they did very well indeed, they weren't Nirvana!

20. nbakid2000

What album is that from? I found what appears to be a single on Amazon but not much else. What year is it?

21. zen

zen Senior Member

Back in 1981, I never thought a bunch of 70's prog rockers (ie: Howe, Wetton, Palmer and Downes) would come up with an album that would hit #1........ for nine weeks!!

22. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Out of the Millennial Latin explosion I would have never pegged Enrique Iglesias to still be racking up Top 20 Pop hits today. I figured Ricky Martin would be the big long term act. Granted, this opinion was made before he recorded campy crap like She Bangs and Come With Me to kill his English career.

mosogotamravip likes this.
  23. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Queen...hard to believe that in 1974 I doubted the group would make it outside of the hard-rock, progressive-rock underground
    here in the States. I had purchased the group's first two albums and was crazy about them, especially the Queen ll album. I discovered the group through reading Circus magazine. Of course the group's 3rd and 4th LPs exploded and the group became huge!

24. mfp

mfp Senior Member

The album is called Don't Kill Rob, and IIRC it was released in 2000.

25. nbakid2000

After much searching, I tracked down the artist and read about who he was and what that album was. I purchased it for 1 cent on Amazon. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.