George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Pt3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Box looks nice but the price......I'll have to wait for a price cut. They say the albums will be released by themselves. Wonder if sometime down the road the same for the DVD? Speaking of the DVD, does anybody have info on what is on it, besides the 7 1/2 minute video clip?

2. RockWizard

Three hours? Must be heavily compressed. Always thought the limit for good image was two hours....

I'm thinking about the box a little bit more now. Lets see - multiple versions of ATMP already bought, have the previous "box" of LITMW. I'm keeping fingers crossed the DVD will eventually be sold by itself as the one for the last box. Sad part about all of this and it is a issue by itself - after the "teases" on the Dark Horse Years DVD and the one for LITMW of the Japan show, still no complete release. If they can put those tracks out, they HAVE to possess the full show in the same quality.

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Very happy to see this box coming out, but doubt I will get it. At least not right away. I'm quite satisfied with the versions I have of the four 70's albums, and will probably just pick up Wonderwall. Trying to decide if buying downloads of the bonus tracks will satisfy me or if I'll get the standalone releases. Unless of course the price goes down...

4. FredV

FredV Senior Member

That happened with the Dark Horse box set with the DVD of videos issued with the set. A few months after the set was released the DVD was issued separately.

5. FredV

FredV Senior Member

theMess likes this.
  6. $60 for thin air 97 for the 3d physical box :tiphat:

Millington likes this.
  7. RockWizard

That's probably the route I'll go. The first two CD's - a toss up for me. Probably get Extra Texture and Dark Horse. My days of impulsively dropping $$$ down for music are gone, no matter who it may be. Getting very expensive.

8. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

The most prominent Apple Years typo award goes to the top banner at georgeharrision.com where it says "6CD and DVD." While there are 6 albums, there is no way there are fewer than 7 CDs. Right?

9. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

or, from Amazon, where most people will go, it's $125. so you're paying more than double the price for some plastic, cardboard and a DVD.

10. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

This is what it says on the Wonderwall wiki page:

"Among a number of factual inaccuracies in the album credits, Harrison omitted his name from the list of performing musicians, leading to an assumption that he had merely produced and arranged the music; recent commentators have recognised his contributions on keyboards and guitar."

"Harrison's name also does not appear among the performers on the album sleeve, and many commentators have traditionally credited him only as producer and arranger at the sessions. After consulting Barham for his book While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Leng credits Harrison as a performing musician, and Spizer also recognises him in his track-by-track list."

"In addition, according to Colin Manley, Harrison provided the steel guitar part on 'Cowboy Music', even though Manley is credited on the album sleeve."

"On 'Ski-ing', Clapton plays 'a bluesy fuzz-tone [guitar] riff', Spizer writes, over a heavy tambura drone. While Spizer and Everett credit all four electric guitar parts (two of which were taped backwards) to Clapton alone, the latter has said that 'we put down this thing [on tape] and George then put backwards guitar on it.' Madinger and Easter suggest that the tambura might well have been played by Harrison."

theMess, She is anyway and Tord like this.
  11. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Unless you buy it at Bull Moose which has it at $96.97 with free shipping.

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/16848058

Bull Moose likes this.
  12. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

13. SoilyCompany76

SoilyCompany76 Forum Resident

I don't know if this has been said but you can by "Mãya Love" on iTunes right now. It must of been a mistake by the distributer.. Anywho the mastering is far superior to the '92 CD.

I really wish they'd put the "Dark Horse" years box on the market because I only own "Cloud 9" from that collection. However I own all the Apple CDs including ATMP + LITMW in their remastered state as most people here do. For the price I think I'll stay away from the box and pick up "Dark Horse" & "Extra Texture" and maybe ATMP if it's a new remaster or the 2010 one since I hate the 2001 version. I may pick up "Wonderwall Music" as well. Who knows, maybe?

14. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

OK, I went back and added some stuff that I had deleted, to make the list a little more complete. This is not comprehensive by any stretch, but I wasn't interested in collecting every track he strummed a guitar on. But it's still a pretty big list -- see below, with notes to follow. Tracks that are not easily available and/or affordable (after the Apple Years box is released) are in BLUE.

01. The Inner Light [Session Highlights] (1:31) Living In The Material World FILM [DVD bonus feature] (soon to be replaced by Wonderwall bonus track)
    02. While My Guitar Gently Weeps [demo] (DVD) (1:02) Living In The Material World FILM [DVD; partial with dialogue]
    03. Long, Long, Long [remix] (3:06) Living In The Material World FILM [Giles Martin remix from the DVD, with full ending from 2009 remaster]
    04. Isn't It a Pity [demo] (2:59) Let It Roll - Songs Of George Harrison [iTunes bonus track]
    05. Run Of The Mill [demo] (1:56) Early Takes Volume 1
    06. Beware Of Darkness [demo] (3:22) All Things Must Pass [CD bonus track] (soon to be replaced by remastered version)
    07. Let It Down [demo] (3:56) All Things Must Pass [CD bonus track] (soon to be replaced by remastered version)
    08. I'd Have You Any Time [early take] (3:06) Early Takes Volume 1
    09. My Sweet Lord [take 1] (3:34) Early Takes Volume 1
    10. Awaiting On You All [take 1] (2:41) Early Takes Volume 1
    11. What Is Life [backing track] (4:27) All Things Must Pass [CD bonus track] (soon to be replaced by remastered version)
    12. Behind That Locked Door [early take] (3:29) Early Takes Volume 1
    13. All Things Must Pass [early take] (4:40) Early Takes Volume 1
    14. I Live For You (2000) (3:38) All Things Must Pass [CD bonus track] (soon to be replaced by remastered version)
    15. Deep Blue [b-side] (3:47) Living In The Material World ALBUM [CD bonus track]
    16. Sue Me, Sue You Blues [demo] (3:03) Living In The Material World ALBUM [DVD bonus track]
    17. The Light That Has Lighted The World [demo] (2:23) Early Takes Volume 1
    18. Miss O'Dell [b-side] (2:33) Living In The Material World ALBUM [CD bonus track]
    19. Miss O'Dell [alternate] (2:31) Living In The Material World ALBUM [DVD bonus track]
    20. I Don't Care Anymore [b-side] (2:41) Best of George Harrison [Disc 2] (my CD comp; soon to be replaced by official version)
    21. Hari's On Tour (Express) [Live 1974] (4:53) Songs By George Harrison Vol. 2 [Genesis EP]
    22. For You Blue [Live 1974] (4:14) Songs By George Harrison Vol. 1 [Genesis EP]
    23. Woman Don't You Cry For Me [early take] (2:44) Early Takes Volume 1 (NOTE: Yes, I know this might be from 1970, but this is where I put it!)
    24. Learning How To Love You [early mix] (4:15) Thirty Three & 1/3 [iTunes bonus track]
    25. Blow Away [demo] (3:07) George Harrison [iTunes edition]
    26. Here Comes The Moon [demo] (3:39) George Harrison [CD bonus track]
    27. Save The World [demo] (4:30) Somewhere In England [CD bonus track] (There's also the Greenpeace version, which I only have on boot and seems incomplete)
    28. Life Itself [demo] (4:25) Songs By George Harrison Vol. 2 [Genesis EP]
    29. Flying Hour (4:37) Somewhere In England [iTunes bonus track]
    30. Tears Of The World (4:04) Thirty Three & 1/3 [CD bonus track]
    31. Sat Singing [remix] (4:29) Songs By George Harrison Vol. 1 [Genesis EP]
    32. Lay His Head [remix] (3:54) Songs By George Harrison Vol. 1 [Genesis EP] (I have the 45, but this was easier)
    33. Mystical One [demo] (6:02) Gone Troppo [CD bonus track]
    34. I Don't Want To Do It (2:52) Let It Roll - Songs Of George Harrison (I think I actually used the Porky's Revenge CD, because Let It Roll crossfades slightly with applause from previous track)
    35. Hottest Gong In Town (3:39) Songs By George Harrison Vol. 2 [Genesis EP]
    36. Zig Zag (2:46) Cloud Nine [CD bonus track]
    37. Run So Far [with Eric Clapton] (4:08) Journeyman [Eric Clapton]
    38. Poor Little Girl (4:34) Best of Dark Horse, 1976-1989
    39. Cockamamie Business (5:17) Best of Dark Horse, 1976-1989
    40. Maxine (2:49) Volume Three [LP]
    41. Ride Rajbun (4:58) Best of George Harrison [Disc 4] (my CD comp; track taken from alternate source)
    42. Prabhujee (8:04) Chants Of India [Ravi Shankar]
    43. Mama You've Been On My Mind [demo] (3:05) Early Takes Volume 1
    44. Let It Be Me [demo] (2:56) Early Takes Volume 1
    45. Dehra Duhn [live] (0:40) The Beatles Anthology DVD (with looped ending to allow for fade -- NO Geoff Emerick comments!)
    46. George Plays The Uke [DVD] (1:37) Living In The Material World FILM [DVD bonus feature]
    47. This Guitar (Can't Keep From Crying (4:03) 70's Unreleased Album Roughs (soon to be replaced by new version) NOTE: Interestingly, the new 2014 version is about 10 seconds shorter than the 2006 version.
    48. Distance Makes No Difference With Love (4:13) Go Cat Go! [Carl Perkins]
    49. Love's Got A Hold On Me (3:46) Dear Mr. Fantasy - The Jim Capaldi Story
    50. My Sweet Lord (2000) (4:57) All Things Must Pass [CD bonus track] (soon to be replaced by remastered version)
    51. Horse to the Water (2007 Remix) (5:14) Best Of Friends [Jools Holland] (there's also the original 2001 mix)
    52. Nama Parvarti [DVD] (1:44) Living In The Material World FILM [DVD bonus feature] (This is the chant George and Dhani do at the end of the song "Brainwashed." No idea if the mix is different.)

You could also add "In The First Place" (which personally I think George performs on), and when the Apple Box comes out the early take of "Dark Horse" will of course be added. There are other minor things that George contributed to (the Rubyhorse track, "Anna Julia," etc.), but these are all the tracks I have that George wrote, plays or sings on. Oh, I guess I should have added "Absolutely Sweet Marie" from the 1992 Bob Dylan tribute concert. There are a handful of others, too -- but if I were to "curate" this list into a releasable, mass-market CD set, I'd cut it down to 2 CDs and about 40 tracks. All of the little fragments are easily cut, and some of the less-than-gripping demos (I'm looking at you, 6-minute "Mystical One"!) would be cut in favor of the more "posh" demos like "Life Itself." I would certainly make sure that all the tracks highlighted in blue were put back into print. Personally, I will incorporate the absolute best of these into my own "best of George" playlists, and the rest will make a very nice "Rarities" playlist -- at least, until whatever comes next materializes.

trueblue, wayne66, NOS300B and 16 others like this.
  15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I don't know. I'm still partial to this one: http://www.georgeharrison.com/albums/electric-sound/ since they actually got the NAME of one of his albums wrong in the webaddress. It was listed wrong on the page itself as of about two weeks ago (!), but someone corrected it and is, no doubt, now feverishly searching to find out what year sessions for Extra Texture began...

16. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

The prices of these box sets is getting ridiculous. It would be one thing if they would include a decent amount of bonus/unreleased material.

I'm interested in this set since I don't have any physical copies of the Apple albums, but I'll wait for the price to go down. IMO this should sell for around $70 with amount of material you get. don't think I even paid $125 for the Beatles mono box...

theMess, slane, Paper Wizard and 3 others like this.
  17. well...oh well. So the good, the bad, and the ugly from my perspective:

The good:

Dark Horse & Extra Texture finally getting the remaster most of us have been waiting on.

Bangla-Desh finally remastered (but also remixed?)

packaging (I think)

further Harrison releases will have to be something new.

The bad & The ugly:

No Wonderwall mono

ATMP track order

No live footage on DVD

(if) the actual remasters suck. (and esp if the fabled 2010 ATMP remaster goes OOP)

Most of the albums have already been remastered

No straight take of Miss O'Dell on CD

Peter Tork's banjo left out???

The price

What? No liner notes from Clapton on Bye Bye Love? :angel:

I was kind of expecting exactly what we got. I'm not overly upset, but I am a little miffed. Some years back when everyone was asking "What's the hold up with the DH & ET remasters?" Harrison's estate something along the lines of "Be patient and you'll get a bonanzaa!" which I assumed would be clips from the live show and a slew of B-sides and outtakes. Then some footage was showcased in the LITMW doc and that gave me more hope. Now I'm just left scratchin' my head.

Whatever though. I'm thinking Simply Shady is gonna sound noice!

18. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The new DVD has about 37 minutes of content. It contains all of the previous DVD content from the 2006 deluxe edition of LITMW plus some other items. Here is the full list:

DVD [exclusive to The Apple Years box set]:

• George Harrison - The Apple Years Feature (2014) [7:27]
    Produced by Peacock
    Directed By Olivia Harrison

• All Things Must Pass (bonus feature in 2001 album package) [8:03]
    Produced by Radical Media

• The Concert for Bangladesh EPK (2005) [6:03]
    Produced by Olivia Harrison and Jonathan Clyde
    Edited by Claire Ferguson

• Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) (video from Live In Japan, 1991; on 2006 deluxe edition of Living In The Material World) [3:43]
    • Miss O’Dell (alternative version from 2006 deluxe edition of Living In The Material World) [2:31]
    • Sue Me Sue You Blues (acoustic demo version from 2006 deluxe edition of Living In The Material World) [3:04]
    • Living In The Material World (feature from 2006 deluxe edition of Living In The Material World) [3:34]
    Produced by Abbey Road Interactive

• Ding Dong, Ding Dong (original promo video, 1974) [3:46]
    Directed by George Harrison
    Filmed by Nick Knowland
    Film Restoration: David Dean & Gwyn Evans

• Dark Horse (original promotional clip, 1974) [:30]
    Created by Capitol Records

Arnie

botley likes this.
  19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

According to one of my sources, Peter Tork's banjo playing can be heard on the track Drilling A Home on the Wonderwall album.

theMess likes this.
  20. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Well, in the accompanying promo clip, they get the sequence of the albums wrong twice, in different ways, in the space of two minutes, so I wouldn't be surprised!

21. Bull Moose likes this.
  22. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

Just placed my order at Bullmoose..
    Looking forward to it!
    Let the countdown begin.. 20 days :goodie:

23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Bullmoose got my McCartney orders, and now they're getting this Harrison order. Keep up the great prices!

24. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

I've never ordered through Bullmoose before, but depending on how smooth my Harrison box goes, I may switch my mccartney ones over

25. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

If only they bloody shipped outside the States! :cussing:

Here we are at the mercy of the Amazons....

vitorbastos123 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.