Rare Lennon interview who wrote what ? Lennon and McCartney

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by helter, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

And...why WOULDN'T he offer the song to the Beatles first? That was the band he was in. He hadn't officially signed out of the band yet. Other than "Give Peace a Chance", he hadn't released any music outside of the Beatles previously had he ? I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Maybe that's why he mentioned ( groused?) in December that if the song had actually gone out as a Beatles record, it might have gone to # 1.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    theMess likes this.
  2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

One thing that this conversation has raised in my mind is the influence of Cold Turkey on Let Me Roll It. This has never been confirmed by Paul, but I know that many critics and fans at the time pointed out the the production and guitar riff on Let Me Roll It does seem to reference and/or have been inspired by the production and guitar riff on Cold Turkey. Lennon of course returned the favour with Beef Jerky.

So, if Paul was involved in turning it down, it is interesting that he was seemingly inspired by it.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Nope. And "Give Peace a Chance" was not a studio recording, and was more a chant than a proper song, so I suspect he viewed it as fitting in more with his sonic collage albums with Ono. "Cold Turkey" on the other hand, could easily have been a Beatles song.

theMess likes this.
  4. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

How was Beef Jerky a response?

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I've always thought of "Let Me Roll It" as a deliberate parody of the JL/POB album's sound in general, rather than any specific song. I don't think it resembles "Cold Turkey" any more than it does "I Found Out" or "Well Well Well." The drumming on it seems inspired by "Mother." I think he was just going for an overall sonic parody: lots of echo on his voice, plodding Voormanesque bass, slashing riff-oriented guitar, nasally Lennon-style vocal, the primal scream at the end.

MoonPool and theMess like this.
  6. Glenn Christense

Exactly.

MoonPool and theMess like this.
  7. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

What ever happened to this as a thread about who wrote what between McCartney and Lennon?

All the stupid supposition about whether or why or when Cold Turkey was recorded?

Nothing to do with the OP.

Cold Turkey is an example of Lennon's ego and self centered attitude run rampant IMO. Who cares? (like the Two Virgins thing, here's my ***** and look at Yoko's boobs)

His next single should have been " Nice Steamy Poop"

While we are at it lets argue about "Your Mother Should Know", one of the gems of the Beatles catalog

Jeeeeeesh!

24voltsdc and noahjld like this.
  8. Glenn Christense

The obvious response is...ignore the "Cold Turkey" talk that annoys you then , and post something insightful regarding the songwriting of Lennon and McCartney.Have you contributed to the thread previously ? Have your contributions been ignored or something ?

theMess and Clarkophile like this.
  9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's called thread drift. It happens in discussions. Not a big deal. I've never understood why people complain about it. It's not as though our posting about "Cold Turkey" somehow prevents other people from posting about the original thread topic. If you're not happy with what's being discussed in this thread, either don't read it, or post something in it you would like to discuss.

theMess and Clarkophile like this.
  10. Ephi82

I just think when you have a thread topic you should stay on track with what the OP wanted

I think was an interesting topic and its a bit frustrating to run into lots of discourse about a second rate Lennon song, that's all peace

11. Ephi82

OK, I guess I am being to rigid. I like the OP's original thread topic and was hoping for more insight.

I guess if hijackers want to drift the thread into "Cold Turkey" waters, I'll just get off the boat!

12. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

It seems that John had the same attitude with Cold Turkey that he had with Ballad of John and Yoko, he wanted to record and release it quickly.

Beatlened and theMess like this.
  13. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

the answer is that i don't necessarily. it it only the fact that there is no other verification and if question marks were raised on other matters I would regard them in the same light also. But also remember i am on the fence on this,, i am not sure either way....yes other quotes that are the same would probably rule out a misquote...

14. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

in relation to rare Lennon interviews...while Lennon lived in Thy, Denmark around 1970, my father's friend went up there and interviewed him, he still got the tape. Very rare! :)

theMess likes this.
  15. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Well, it's not a John Lennon quote, so it's likely true, eh fellas?.

16. muffmasterh

i think it is very possible if not even likely that he wanted to offer it first to the beatles ? the question is did he actually offer it to them , and doubts have been raised on this. My own suspicion is that when he realised the beatles would not be able to record anything for a few months he did it himself with whoever was to hand but that is just a suggestion, no basis in fact, the only fact we have is a journo said that he said he offered it, thats all we have.

theMess likes this.
  17. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

John's guitar playing on this demo is great. But why did he let Yoko sing it?

18. I'm always fascinated by the public/media back-and-forth between John and Paul in the 70s. My first impression is that this is a light-hearted game of musical tag. But then again, was Paul a vegetarian by the time of Beef Jerky?

theMess likes this.
  19. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

If I may summarize:

We as well as John and Paul are in complete agreement over who wrote what except for two songs, Eleanor Rigby (John claims he wrote more lyrics than Paul gives him credit for) and In My Life (Paul claims he wrote the song's melody from John's lyrics, John says Paul helped with the middle 8 (more like the "chorus"than a middle 8)).

John says he offered Cold Turkey to the Beatles but that's impossible because no other Beatle has mentioned it although they haven't been asked.

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, doubts can be raised about anything. I could say that I don't think John really advised Paul to keep the line "the movement you need is on your shoulder" in Hey Jude. John never verified this story, and there's no other evidence it happened. So now "doubts have been raised" about its accuracy too. Maybe John really told Paul that line sucked.

The point is, anybody can raise doubts about anything. But if the doubts are not based on evidence, nor being raised by someone with insider knowledge or who was directly involved with the events in question, why should we take them seriously?

21. muffmasterh

of course, but the HJ ref you cite is not really like for like is it not even close ? I mean Paul has said that on CAMERA, if John had said the Cold Turkey thing on Camera I for one would give it more credence over what a journo says he said. But yes Paul could be lying about HJ but i do not think so do you ? and I am not saying John lied because even if I did not believe him ( and i am on the fence on that ) as there will always be the doubt about the quote, one word added or taken away by the journo and the whole context changes.....the doubts for me are on the LACK of evidence, ie all we have is what a journo quoted John as saying, not a film VT or tape

Seltarb likes this.
  22. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Wow, this argument has really gone down the rabbit hole of hair-splitting and berserk rationalization, with McCartney apologists tying themselves in knots to insinuate that Lennon didn't do something that it was perfectly natural and logical for him to do (i.e. offer his new single to his band to record and release).

I fail to see what's at stake here if we just believe the only evidence we have about anything regarding this incident: John's account. It's perfectly straightforward and logical that Lennon would first offer his new song to his band, just as it's perfectly straightforward and logical that the band would demur for whatever reason (too busy in their personal lives; not wanting to trample on George's first A-side release; reservations about the highly contentious subject matter of the song and its suitability as a single; simply not wanting to go back into the studio so soon after recording and launching Abbey Road). And there's supporting evidence for the essentials of the anecdote. It's not the first time Lennon had a sense of urgency about a song he wrote for proposed single release ('Revolution', 'Give Peace a Chance', 'The Ballad of John and Yoko' - at this point in his career it would be out of character for him NOT to want to record and release a personal song like 'Cold Turkey' immediately), and it's not the first time his proposed A-side was vetoed by the rest of the band, to his annoyance ('I Am the Walrus', 'Revolution', the POB-ified 'What's the New Mary Jane') - though in the case of 'Revolution' this annoyance was tempered by his concession that 'Hey Jude' was a great single.

And where did this notion that 'Cold Turkey' was second-rate come from? It's a fantastic song, and a gripping Lennon performance, and it's totally in step with the heavier, bluesier sounds of the time. It's a classic single and it could have been a classic Beatles single.

zobalob, MoonPool, ParloFax and 7 others like this.
  23. muffmasterh

" It's perfectly straightforward and logical that Lennon would first offer his new song to his band, just as it's perfectly straightforward and logical that the band would demur for whatever reason (too busy in their personal lives; not wanting to trample on George's first A-side release; reservations about the highly contentious subject matter of the song and its suitability as a single; simply not wanting to go back into the studio so soon after recording and launching Abbey Road). And there's supporting evidence for the essentials of the anecdote. It's not the first time Lennon had a sense of urgency about a song he wrote for proposed single release ('Revolution', 'Give Peace a Chance', 'The Ballad of John and Yoko' - at this point in his career it would be out of character for him NOT to want to record and release a personal song like 'Cold Turkey' immediately), and it's not the first time his proposed A-side was vetoed by the rest of the band, to his annoyance ('I Am the Walrus', 'Revolution', the POB-ified 'What's the New Mary Jane') - though in the case of 'Revolution' this annoyance was tempered by his concession that 'Hey Jude' was a great single. "

I agree with all that 100 per cent...........where i disagree is that was that John's account ?? it may be but there is doubt as it exists only in print to a journo

Oh and please do not include me in as part of an McCartney Apologist, for that is one thing I am not.....

Seltarb likes this.
  24. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

You must be referring to the Bosphorus Strait that cuts through Istanbul and forms part of the boundary between Europe and Asia. I've been there, a great adventure. I'd advise staying on the boat, though. There's quite a bit of maritime traffic, and the waters run deep in parts.

theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  25. Ephi82

?ok?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.