Sleater-Kinney: remastered catalog, Start Together vinyl box set to be released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by couchdave, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. couchdave

couchdave Founding member of Mystik Spiral Thread Starter

All seven studio albums have been remastered. They are available digitally starting today (September 2), with October 21 the release date for CD, vinyl, and a limited-edition vinyl box set (3,000 copies) called Start Together.

Quote from the Rolling Stone story:

Sterling Sound's Greg Calbi remastered the albums from their original analog tapes. "For such ferocious music, it was actually a very delicate process," Calbi said of the box set. "I found, in dealing with one of the earlier albums, that my signal path and compression, including my Burl B2 convertor, gave me a more resonant, deeper sound on the guitars than the originals. Because the band rarely, if ever, used bass, I felt that this added to the aggressiveness and power of the band overall.

"I believe this treatment added a subtle, yet important, dimension to the band, and I explored each of the other albums with the same intention. Above all, their music, from inception, stands the test of time for the cleverness and emotional impact they brought to their genre."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...reer-spanning-start-together-box-set-20140902

2. bobfrombob

bobfrombob Forum Resident

Need a copy of "The Woods" on vinyl for sure. Not certain I need the box.

3. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

Will The Woods be just as brickwalled this time around? Unlike most insanely loud, clipping/distorted masterings, with The Woods it at least seemed like a deliberate aesthetic choice, but maybe that could have been accomplished without going to such headache-inducing extremes. Love that album, though.

Looking forward to hearing remastered versions of all the albums.

I'd love a collection of all their B-sides and other non-album tracks (there's enough for a decent 1-disc rarities comp).

4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I have The Woods and The Hot Rock on vinyl, but I wish I hadn't read this story, because I want the whole box, but can't really afford it right at the same time as the Beatles mono box, the Basement Tapes set, the Zeppelin reissues, etc. etc. :cry:

AJK74 and JoeRockhead like this.
  5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I wish they'd give us the option of this music without the brickwall compression. If they're worried about cost, make it a download-only via their website, I don't care, just make it available.

6. search&destroy

search&destroy Well-Known Member

luckily i have all original releases on vinyl:wiggle:

AJK74 and PearlJamNoCode like this.
  7. tzatziki

tzatziki Active Member

stoked to get the Woods on vinyl. isn't it supposed to sound harsh and bricked though?

8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The remastered albums are already available as a download at HD Tracks.

9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The vinyl is an improvement over the CD. A lot of the distortion/loudness is baked into the recording and mix itself.

10. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

Great news, a bit pricey, but a unique opportunity to acquire all the discography in one box, I'm also glad that they didn't make this a Record Store Day exclusive.

11. Vinylbob

Vinylbob Forum Resident

The Woods vinyl is just as brickwalled as the CD. I got both when it came out. Neither is playable to me, just awful sound. I have all the original LP's and singles from when they came out, plus backup sealed copies, and a test press of Hot Rock, so I don't think I'll be buying this new set. From Doctor to One Beat I thought the pressings were really good.

12. BrentNC

BrentNC Forum Resident

The Wood is my go to example for a musically great album I can barely listen to because of the compression.

RubenH, serge and AlienRendel like this.
  13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Not true. The DR for the vinyl is almost 3X the CD (the CD is around 3). Not saying there isn't distortion and clipping on the vinyl as that's the sound they wanted but the brickwalling on the CD is significantly worse than the original vinyl.

14. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Sounds nice, but I'd rather have the band get back together and do something new. I'd buy that.

PearlJamNoCode and levi like this.
  15. Vinylbob

Vinylbob Forum Resident

Agreed, it is a little better but still awful sounding. I love the comment from Greg Calbi that he is adding "a subtle, yet important, dimension to the band".

16. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

You may be right that the CD is worse (I honestly don't know), but different DR values for vinyl vs. CD can be misleading and shouldn't be used as proof.

bleachershane likes this.
  17. Vinylbob

Vinylbob Forum Resident

I really doubt that they could get along...

18. tzatziki

tzatziki Active Member

they will reunite in 2015 i think.

PearlJamNoCode likes this.
  19. Vinylbob

Vinylbob Forum Resident

20. bluelips

bluelips Forum Resident

Were the albums originally recorded all analog?

21. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

How do they compare with the original CDs (I'm curious especially about the very early albums).
    Thanks!

22. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

I've never heard that there was any bad blood or animosity in the band.

23. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Holy cow ... has it really been almost 10 years since The Woods?

I miss the hell out of that band. :cry:

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

I can't wait. I don't need this, however.

And yes: The Woods sounds the way it does intentionally. It's part of the charm.

25. tzatziki

tzatziki Active Member

Yeah, this breakup was on generally good terms. Any talk of animosity is unfounded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.