THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT (a.k.a. THE CREEPING UNKNOWN) DVD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this on DVD (that I can play?) This is a 1955 Hammer film from Gt. Britain with Brian Donlevy in it..

Thanks!

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Nice little film....has this one ever been issued on DVD? :confused: If it had been like to think I'd have a copy in the collection....

:ed:

3. Ed Bishop

4. Steve Hoffman

X The Unknown is from 1956 and Quatermas 2 (known to us in the USA as "Enemy From Space") is the sequal to the film I'm trying to find.

BTW, Quatermas 2 is an excellent film. It was shown in the early 1960's all the time on the Million Dollar Movie. It's the one with the rocks falling from space and infecting the villagers and the whole thing ends up at the Shell Oil Refinery with big blobs of aliens growing inside. 'Member?

I'm looking for the first film, actually it's Hammer Films' first horror movie..THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT (a.k.a. THE CREEPING UNKNOWN in the USA).

Anyone have it?

GuildX700 likes this.
  5. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Steve, do you have a multi-region player? I picked up the R2 version a few months ago and it's great. It's supposed to be better quality than the R1 version and it comes with a nice booklet. I have all the Quatermass stuff on DVD (except the 50's TV serials which are rumored to come out sooner than later). Let me know if you want to borrow it or I can run you off a VHS....

Todd

http://www.bensons-world.co.uk/dvd/products/7/7000000077726.asp

6. Steve Hoffman

No, I just have my crappy $200.00 player. Bummer.

7. Todd Fredericks

Steve,

I know you love a lot of British stuff and films from around the world. I highly (very highly) recommend you look into getting a multi-player. They're not that expensive and it opens the door to a lot of stuff that has never (and may never) have a R1 release.

8. Ed Bishop

I may have to go that route also...no wonder I hadn't seen it around! A few others are available but not THE one....sheesh!

:ed:

9. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, me too...

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

..there are many players bought for a song that can be adapted to play all region DVD's...Toshiba makes one for under a hundred.

11. Todd Fredericks

Very true, Michael! Maybe the player Steve has is one of them already? A lot of them can be adapted by going into the service menu. Again, anyone who is a lover of film/TV/etc. should have access to the different region DVD's. It opens up a world of choice....

12. Steve Hoffman

I have a Panasonic DVD-RV-32...If that helps.

13. Todd Fredericks

14. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Steve, I don't know if this helps, but there is an Anchor Bay twofer of Quatermass & the Pit and Quatermass 2 available from a number of online retailers. Is that what you are looking for? I picked up a DVD cutout of Quatermass & the Pit on Anchor Bay a while ago and it is better than average (considering the age of the film) transfer. I believe Warner Bros. (and Universal?) has the rights to many of these old Hammer films.

Gary

15. Todd Fredericks

Gary, 'Quatermass 2' is the sequel to the 'Quatermass Xperiment' with Brian Donlevy and 'Quatermass & the Pit' (very well done) is the late 60's color one. Steve is looking for the first Quatermass film in R1. These 3 films are based on the BBC serials which aired in the 50's. Rumor has it (and I hope it's true) that the TV episodes are going to be released and restored (by the Dr. Who Restoration Team at the Beeb).....

16. Steve Hoffman

I thought the TV versions were lost? No?

17. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

18. Todd Fredericks

"September 16, 2004

There is a fairly solid-sounding rumor going around that BBC Video intends to release a box set of all of the episodes produced in the 1950's that were telerecorded. This would include the first two episodes of the first series, which virtually no one has seen since they were originally transmitted. It is also very likely the restoration team responsible for processing all Doctor Who releases would have the chance to bring their magic touch to this project. It is probably not a coincidence that the edited Revelation Films DVD release of Quatermass and the Pit, which has been in release for some years, is going out of print, as that company's contract is expiring. In addition, a DVD of Nigel Kneale's 1954 BBC teleplay of 1984 is going to be released soon, only in region 2, of course (the only DVDs of Quatermass in region 1, so far, are the feature film versions of the second and third series)."

Apparently everything exists apart from The Quatermass Experiment #3-6. A lot of stuff has been turning up over the years....

Todd

19. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

20. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

21. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The Quatermass Xperiment is being released on Blu-Ray in December by MGM/Kino.... but no DVD release? WTF?? :mad:

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's a drag...looks like those who want the DVD will pay highly for it...

23. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I bought the DVD Quatermass and the Pit (USA known as "5 Million years to Earth") because I saw it when I was around 8 or 9 years old, it was one of the few films that gave me nightmares.

zobalob likes this.
  24. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Overall the British 'serious' approach to the Quatermass material made it great.

zobalob likes this.
  25. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

There *is* no R1 DVD, that's the whole problem!
    (I don't count the MGM manufactured-on-demand DVD-R as a "proper" release, but I guess it's the only option!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.