VPI Classic 1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jack Flannery, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident Thread Starter

I currently have a Pro-Ject Xperience with a Blue Point #2 on it. Except for some rumble issues, the table performs OK. However, I seem to have a desire for a Classic. I realize I would probably be better financially served trying to get rid of the rumble and buying more vinyl but, well, you know. Given there are no dealers in Houston, I'll probably wind up buying one and having it shipped. What cartridges are you all using on these things?

2. Jack Flannery

Of course, I could have used the search function a little better. Jeeze.

3. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

I have an older HW19 Mk.IV that I use a LOMC Lyra Argo i on. Works great.

4. cmndrums

cmndrums Forum Resident

Galen Carol Audio is in San Antonio if you don't mind the drive.

5. Jack Flannery

I ride a Vespa or Moto Guzzi. If I head that way I might check them out. I live in an audio wasteland.

6. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I use an Audio-Technica AT150MLX on mine, and couldn't be happier. I originally had the cartridge in my Denon DP-62L table, and when I desired a turntable upgrade I chose the Classic.

I planned to upgrade the cartridge at the same time, but the place I ordered the table from (Music Direct) suggested I upgrade only the table so that I could hear the difference it made, and maybe later upgrade the cart and phono stage.

Well I was floored enough so that three years later I'm still running the AT cart in the table, and through the same pre-amp, a Crown SL-2.

Kudos to Music Direct. I shipped them the cart and they set up the Classic with it prior to shipping me the turntable, so it was pretty easy work when I got it. I also bought the Gingko Classic table top dust cover for it and it looks great!

7. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I have used a Dynavctor 20x and a Lyra Delos on mine and would happily use either one again. The Lyra is installed now and I am delighted with it.

8. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

ellingtonic and Steve Hoffman like this.
  9. Jimbo912

Jimbo912 Forum Resident

I have a Benz-Micro Ebony on mine which retails for the same price as the VPI. Seems crazy,but I got the Ebony for $800 as they screwed up my order for a Glider and sent an Ebony instead. They told me to just keep the Ebony

10. Jack Flannery

My preferred dealer in Grand Rapids sells Grado and I don't know what else. I'm heading up there in a couple of weeks so I'll see what they have.

11. csampson

csampson Forum Resident

I have a Dynavector 10x5 on my Classic 1 and it sounds great.

12. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

1300 for one on agon now.

13. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Dynavector XX2 mkII on my Classic 2. Dynavectors pair well with VPI tables.....lots of good feedback on these combos if you do some searching. I've been really pleased with mine so far.

- Buck

whaleyboy likes this.
  14. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I'm very happy with the Soundsmith Zephyr II on my Classic.

15. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Using Lyras on mine. Wonderful.

16. Upinsmoke

That is my next step up. I need to do more research on Delos or Kleos. Does the Kleos really warrant double the price? I've been using the gen 1 of the Zephyr but have not been finding that nirvana with the cart. That's not to say that the cart is not a good one, just for my ears and system I'm missing something on it.

17. jeff kleinberg

jeff kleinberg Senior Member

I have a Kleos Sl, I haven't even thought about another cart. It is amazing from NIN to Bach.

18. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Not having heard a Delos I can't comment. And I think most of us are aware that increasingly larger expenditures are required to gain incremental improvements.

Having said that, the Kleos is wonderful, as is the Helikon I had before it.

Bear in mind Lyras fall into the neutral/analytical range of sound, similar to Dynavector (I had a XX-2 in the past), but better IMO.

19. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Dynavector 20x 2 (low).

Sings like an angel on my Classic 1.

If you can, buy it from a good dealer and have them install it properly (or any higher end cartridge).

Proper installation makes a big difference no matter what brand you buy.

20. Chris F

Chris F Well-Known Member

I have a 2M black on mine. I am planning to eventually move up to a Lyra (probably Kleos) or a Ortofon Cadenza Bronze but for now the 2M black is a very nice cartridge and pairs well with the 10.5 arm.

21. rocky dennis

rocky dennis Forum Resident

+1. Galen is great to deal with. He set me up with my Classic I and Lyra Delos cart.

The new generation of Lyra carts are less "analytical" than the previous generation. The Helikon was too clinical sounding for my taste. I think Lyra struck a nice balance with the Skala. The Delos sounds more like the Skala than the Helikon. I find Dynavector carts are generally more on the warm side than the current generation of Lyras, which has its appeal too. I've had both Lyras and Dynas on VPI tables. Both sound wonderful on VPIs. It comes down to a matter of taste.

22. Upinsmoke

Cartridge then speakers will probably be the next step up. I'm just not getting the feeling I want from the Zephyr.

23. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

I've got the Delos on my C3 right now, love it. Kleos sits in waiting.

However, you mentioned something that has not been addressed: "rumble". You refer to getting rid of the rumble, which tells me that it may not be specific to your Pro-Jekt. To me, the last thing you want to do is to switch out a less-expensive setup that exhibits rumble...with a MORE expensive setup that exhibits rumble. In fact, I'd venture to guess that the Classic may be more sensitive to placement, especially with a more-sensitive cart, than your Pro-Jekt.

I'd run down that rumble issue first, and then do the upgrade. Less aggravation and frustration. When you bring that big heavy Classic home you want it's new 'home' to be ready to go and properly sussed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.