Mr Big is BACK!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Veech, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

not a fan in any way, but everytime I go used CD shopping I notice these guys are HUGE in Japan,
    seriously, they have their own section and there's at least 10 title everywhere...

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  2. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I just ordered 3 used Mr. Big CD's on ebay from Japan. I love these guys but my collection was missing a few titles.

3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

True that, they have a ton of Japanese releases, mostly live, and also some singles/EPs that haven't come out elsewhere.

Hey, since you are located in Japan-land, and another of my favorite bands (Dizzy Mizz Lizzy) is huge over there (from what I've heard anyways), have you ever seen any DML stuff like t-shirts or similar memorabilia for sale anywhere? They toured in Japan as recently as 2010 (their short-lived "reunion" tour).

4. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

yeah I've seen a lot of their CDs, not not nearly as Big as Mr.....I'll let you know if I ever find amy other merch...

5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks.

6. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

celticbob likes this.
  8. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Glad you like it. It's a great album. One of those albums where it's consistently good yet nothing really stands out amongst the pack.

9. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Just scored a sealed copy of "Actual Size" for $23.

Put all my Mr. Big albums on my phone to prep for the new one.

Off to read celticbob's review.

celticbob and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Hey Man has some spectacular tunes (like Out of the Underground), but like most of their early albums, there are 3-4 tunes that don't really work for me, too.

I find Get Over It to be more consistent, but it loses a little something without Paul Gilbert's sense of humor. Very nice to hear Richie Kotzen singing with Eric Martin. They got stronger vocally.

Actual Size smooths over some the rougher edges and might be their most consistent album. I like almost all the songs, but it misses some of the wild and crazy things that Sheehan and Gilbert would try. Although Sheehan wrote some of the songs, his bass sound isn't so dominant, and it makes the record less distinctive for that. Reminds me a bit of Skyscraper (another solid album) in that respect. Not surprisingly, Sheehan quit the band after the album cycle was finished.

artfromtex likes this.
  11. Doesn't matter. Kip Winger has done a few embarrassing songs, but his hit-to-miss ratio is pretty good. And when he and the band are really one, they can be fantastic. There's a reason they are still making records.

12. artfromtex

Since Pat can't tour, wouldn't it be cool if they got Greg Bissonette to fill in?

13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

They announced that his replacement for the tour will be Matt Starr (from Ace Frehley's band). I'm not familiar with his work, he's been with other bands but I don't know much about him.

14. artfromtex

Just noticed that Pat Regan produced the new album. The terrible reign of Kevin Shirley is over!!! ;)

Rosskolnikov likes this.
  15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Just got the new album today, from Japan. Sprung for 2 different "fancy" versions. The one with the extra CD of re-recordings has mind-blowing packaging (a 3D optical illusion outer sleeve that is pretty cool).

Just listened to the actual album (twice). Pretty good. Sounds like it could have been taken from the same sessions that spawned What If; IE: same writing/production style. If you liked that album you should dig this as well. Good stuff, am not disappointed.

supernaut and dvcarrick like this.
  16. kethdredd

kethdredd Forum Resident

I wonder if this will see a vinyl release? Frontiers doesn't seem to release anything on vinyl

17. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I asked my contact at Frontiers and their PR guy and both said no plans that they know of. :(
    Sometimes the Frontiers stuff comes out through Soul Food in Germany. I got my Winger, Uriah Heep and Sebastian Bach that way. I never did get the California Breed LP after. Too many albums not enough $$ or time.

18. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I'm sorry, but everytime I hear the name Mr. Big these days, I feel like getting up and going straight to Wendy's and ordering a Pretzel Bacon Cheeseburger.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  19. kethdredd

kethdredd Forum Resident

The cowbell gets me every time.

20. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Sheesh. Gonna have to find out exactly what's in there.

Description says this:

"Special box set release from MR.BIG commemorating the 25th anniversary of the band's career. Consists of 18 CDs and 2 DVDs, including unreleased studio takes, rare tracks, live tracks, and plenty more (subject to change). Japanese original release. Features hardcover packaging (30cm x 25cm) with a slip case. Contains lots of reproductions of their tour collectibles such as laminated pass, flyer, and ad materials for press. Comes with lyrics and a Japanese description. *The DVD disc is encoded for region 2 (Japan, Europe, and Middle East), and no subtitles are included."

22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

More info about it courtesy Melodicrock.com:

http://www.melodicrock.com/articles...clusive-first-info-mr-big-anniversary-box-set

Mr. Big will celebrate 25 years as a band with a huge Japanese only exclusive box set to be released on December 10 (date could be pushed back a little).

Details of this 18CD + 2 DVD set have been sketchy so far, but I have uncovered a little exclusive information!

First of all – the label blurb reads:

“Special box set release from MR. BIG commemorating the 25th anniversary of the band's career. Consists of 18 CDs and 2 DVDs, including unreleased studio takes, rare tracks, live tracks, and plenty more (subject to change).
    Japanese original release. Features hardcover packaging (30cm x 25cm) with a slip case.
    Contains lots of reproductions of their tour collectibles such as laminated pass, flyer, and ad materials for press. Comes with lyrics and a Japanese description.
    *The DVD disc is encoded for region 2 (Japan, Europe, and Middle East), and no subtitles are included.”

One other description: “precious sound, live recordings, rare footage, archive the Goods…”

Ok, now to add to that – I have confirmed that the box is still being compiled but will feature only material from the band’s reunion in 2009 onwards!
    It will feature (amongst other things), quote: “Live stuff from two tours, rarities, demo's etc…”

Quite frankly, this could be the best box set ever released (and the biggest!).
    The set is VERY limited in numbers and is priced at approx US$260. I need one!

You can pre-order with confidence from CD Japan, who I use all the time via this link:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/aff/click.cgi/ZRcokempdVE/514/A867157/detailview.html?KEY=IEZP-100

Meanwhile, Eric Martin’s ‘Sucker For A Pretty Face’ and ‘Somewhere In The Middle’ are all being reissued on HQCDs November 19.

Since I am a huge fan of the latest Mr. Big albums post-Gilbert reunion, in light of what they are saying that the box is all post-reunion stuff, I am springing for it.

CDJapan only has one copy available for preorder left at this point btw.
    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/IEZP-100

I actually doubt that the WHOLE box is only post-2009 but am still hopeful that the majority of it will be, and will be stuff that I don't have. I already have the re-recordings disc for the new album, and the recent Live in Japan 100th Anniversary gorgeous boxset, and I suspect those will be in here but....we'll see...if it is limited goes out of print and turns out I have it all I can always turn around and recoup my $$ selling it off later.

23. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

why can't pat tour?

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

25. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.