Poll: Ya dig Sheryl Crow?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Used to / changed my mind / sold her catalog. Only females to keep my interest in 56 years are Linda Ronstadt, Carly Simon, Patsy Cline, and Dusty Springfield.

2. Kit2010

Kit2010 Too far gone

Saw her at Glastonbury in 97. Highlight of the weekend for me. She was pretty much at the top of her game for catchy numbers by then, though I like how her later stuff has become more spiritual and kinda serious too.

3. SomethingAnything

SomethingAnything Forum Resident

Your results will be skewed, methinks.
    'Frankly, I don't give a damn [about her]' is just too tempting a button. :)

4. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I have never been a big fan of chic pop singers.

Huck Caton likes this.
  5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Never met her.

6. billh

billh Senior Member

I sort of liked her song "Soak Up The Sun" and actually bought the CD. But when she said I should only use one piece of toilet paper I smashed up the CD and flushed it down the toilet.

7. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I think that she is really underrated as a songwriter if you like that 70's/classic rock vibe , which I do. Incredible and effortless singer.

Her writing is as good as Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham, and the Eagles and all other of those people from back then.

I also love the musicians she has in her bands, Shaun Pelton on drums, Peter Stroud on lead guitar etc........they have been kick ass. She dont get them unless she is kick ass, Add to this her being in Clapton's Crossroads club. I hold that in high regard.

I think she's earned every dollar she's made, and would love to spend an afternoon playing music with her. She is way more talented than most give her credit

mando_dan, John Grimes and Remy like this.
  8. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

This is the same way I feel. The s/t album is classic, the others (including Tuesday Night Music Club) not so much. Every album seems to be a bit worse than the one before.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Nice enough to look at.
    She has a few songs that are catchy.

But, overall, I've long thought she was a somewhat average artist who, through luck and astute marketing, had a career with some longevity.

I still remember the story that Aimee Mann told: She was under consideration to be signed by A&M at the same time they were considering Sheryl Crow. A&M ultimately picked Crow and turned down Aimee telling her manager that they only had money/room for one pop singer/songwriter chick. I suppose they chose wisely, as Crow definitely plays the game nicely, whereas Mann has never been willing to do so. But, assuredly, Mann is the greater talent...(IMHO)

Sean V likes this.
  10. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I don't like her vocals or her songs. I find her generally annoying and I really don't see what makes her so popular. The best I can say is that a couple of her songs start out with a nice groove.

11. AdamCalifornia

AdamCalifornia Forum Resident Thread Starter

Come on, even her sexy legs don't turn on? :nyah:

12. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

Her second album (Sheryl Crow) is really good and worth owning. Everything else...meh (although she does put out a good single every now and then).

13. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

the female Kid Rock...

14. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

I used to like her music a lot, to the point I'd seek out b-sides and her contributions to soundtrack and tribute albums but she lost me completely with C'mon C'mon and the Kid Rock duet and has never won me back over since. On the rare occasion I'll listen to something off one of the first three albums but that's it.

15. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Didn't she used to date a bicycle riding guy ? :shh:

16. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Bland as bland can get.

Moshe likes this.
  17. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

She dated Pee Wee Herman?

Ringmaster_D and TonyR like this.
  18. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I like her a little.

A few songs I like and I few I find annoying.

19. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

She's okay. I like "My Favorite Mistake".

20. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Bland to mediocre.

21. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

I know nothing of her music honestly, I do know whenever I hear the song 'Everyday is a Winding Road' and "Soak Up the Sun" on the radio I have to listen to it. The guy who taught the "Digital Recording Class" at my community college was actually the engineer for those two songs, and apparently one a technical award for them. Perhaps out of respect for him, or just because they actually are pretty well recorded songs, to my ears at least, I always have to stop the dial.

22. PiratesFan

PiratesFan Forum Resident

I don't really like her voice. It's thin and whiny. But I really dig the song "Everyday Is A Winding Road," even though it's pretty much a rip-off of "Stuck In the Middle With You."

23. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I'm sure that was a joke, presented by fake news shows as a serious statement. No doubt because they didn't like her t-shirt.

I like the Globe-Sessions the rest wears thin

24. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I thought "All I Wanna Do Is Have Some Fun" was pretty good, but I still don't own her first album, and that song got so much radio play it became kind of annoying. She really came into her own, though, with her second two efforts, Sheryl Crow and The Globe Sessions. Those made me a fan. If you like classic rock in the vein of Tom Petty and Fleetwood Mac, you are bound to find those albums to be very solid efforts all the way through.

I saw her twice. Once on a double bill with the Wallflowers, or maybe the Wallflowers were just opening, and then later at Woodstock '99. I'll never forget the Wallflowers part of the show because as a prank, she came out on stage wearing a cheerleading skirt and a Syracuse University sweatshirt (the show was in Upstate NY), and started twirling and tossing a baton like a pro. It was pretty funny. At the end of her set, she was joined by members of The Band, I can't remember which ones, and they did "The Weight" and a few others. Excellent show.

After The Globe Sessions, I thought her work became steadily less solid. C'mon, C'mon was OK, Wildflowers was sort of boring, and I thought Detours was almost unlistenable. So, she kind of suffered a precipitous drop in output quality after her 90s heyday. But I'll always listen to Sheryl Crow and The Globe Sessions. Good stuff.

So, I voted "I like her", but I used to really like her. She sort of paved the way for classic rock recycler acts like Ryan Adams, Jack White and others. Although I think Ryan and Jack are both super talented, and I don't use the term "recycler' in a dismissive way.

25. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I like her. Two very good albums (Sheryl Crow and The Globe Sessions) and a greatest-hits-album worth of solid singles. She put some guitar rock at the top of the charts at a time when that wasn't the easiest thing to do.

Tokyo Ghost and Yannick like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.