The Yes Album by Album Thread (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Skipped the live stuff, but spun the studio Keys 2 just now. Twice, actually. Better than I'd remembered, but still no one definitive world-beater track. Mind Drive is a really good try, but still fails to be riveting as prior 18:00 epics were. Otherwise, several engaging passages if nothing else, and I guess this becomes the Yes MO going forward.

Surprisingly lazy lyrics by Anderson this time out, but instrumentals like Lifeline and Sign Language make up for it. Kinda like the Vangelis influence I sense, though I'm not overly wild about his solo stuff.

And the band played on.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  2. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Do something thing unpredictable. I want to bask in your learnedness. :help:

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I always thought that the riff that starts at 2:08 was probably a Page riff. It reminds me of Achilles a little. The rest of the song, I am not sure where else his musical stamp is. But that Holst like riff has to be him.

JETman likes this.
  4. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Do we really need more of the predictability displayed by yet another Johnny Quest thread asking us "what are your 16 favorite chords that Keith Richards played between 6 and 8 in the morning while high?" OR another hyperbole-fest about how Macca is the 2nd coming of the Messiah OR another hand-wringing complaint-fest about how we deserve to get the Dexter sound out of our Beatles US Albums CDs?

That's how your comment comes off.

I may not agree with everything RRB says here, but I give him loads of credit for trying to have a mature discussion about music. Why pollute it with some predictable comment about a musician who has nothing to do with the discussion?

5. Rose River Bear

6. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

I bought KTA 2 and Open Your Eyes in late November '97. I was pretty excited to get two brand new Yes releases on the same day! Anyway, KYA 2 like its predecessor, had me like the live tracks and be underwhelmed by the studio tracks. Mind Drive was an exception though. I really love it. I still find the Keystudio version far better, since it has Rick's intro restored. I do have two versions of KTA 2: one that was pressed on gold discs and a mini-LP replica, which was promo item when I worked at Borders.

jay.dee and Rose River Bear like this.
  7. Harvest Your Thoughts

Are you aware of the XYZ sessions?

8. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

I hear it too. For all we know, Squire and White received permission from Page to use it in any way they wanted to.

9. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

You're deflecting. Leave it alone.

10. Harvest Your Thoughts

I'll take that as a no.

11. Rose River Bear

That makes sense. Maybe someday the sessions will be released.

12. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

You're like a typical poster here. Dare to stand out. I feel no need to answer your question as it's irrelevant to the discussion here. The last time I had this level of maturity was about 3 months after I was conceived.

13. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

I believe Jimmy Page said the XYZ stuff might get released one day a couple of years ago in Rolling Stone. Alan White claims there's some material from the XYZ sessions that hasn't been bootlegged.

14. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

THAT would be a surprise. Given the shape Page was in at the time, I doubt they'd be any great shakes. I saw him in 1985 with the Firm and he was still a mess. Squire and White are probably doing him a favor by keeping them under wraps.

15. Rose River Bear

You beat me to it. I thought how much of a wreck Page must have been at that point (XYZ) with John Bonham's death and his drug use.

JETman likes this.
  16. One Louder

Apparently Robert Plant was invited to take part and he declined. There was also the matter of having to work something out between Brian Lane and Peter Grant which would have probably been kind of like a bear fighting a shark.

17. Harvest Your Thoughts

So you're saying your maturity still hasn't changed?

18. Harvest Your Thoughts

They all do sound a bit sleepy in those sessions.

19. Rose River Bear

I agree. I would never get between those two guys during an argument.
    [​IMG]

20. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I believe Grant killed XYZ. he would start his bullying to the point where people back off.
    BTW :D Bears and sharks fighting each other won't work, one is a land creature, the other is a denizen of the deep.
    Sharks and crocodiles will work great fighting.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  21. One Louder

I wasn't really striving for realism in that analogy but cool clip all the same.

22. Harvest Your Thoughts

That's either a weird sounding voice over, or a weird sounding computerised voice over... hard to tell!

23. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Union's mostly crap - only listen to Lift Me Up and Saving My Heart simply for nostalgic high-school-heyday nostalgic reasons and Shock To The System, but it's the live version from Yes Years VHS. Can't say I blame Wakey for chucking it out the window on I-75 in Florida.

Picked up Yes Years in late 1992 ($35 or so) on CD, ran home - copied all the stuff I hadn't heard before onto one SA-X 90, which was essentially everything after Tales minus the 90125/BG songs. Must have played the tape over a hundred times and it never left my car for at least a year. Awaken alone probably blew out my cheap Pioneer 6x9's because I was so impressed with it.

Talk could have been really good if it wasn't such an orgy of digital tomf**kery and some of the lyrics didn't sound like they were penned minutes before the studio time ran out. "When the world brings you down, you can search you inside" - BARF!

Bought Keys in late 1996 after seeing the tracklist and noticing Howe & Wakeman were back. Was really stoked to hear it! Then I heard it. Zzzzz....

Haven't bothered with anything since other than seeing them twice during the OYE tour.

But...I'm always on the look out for albums from TYA up to Relayer of various pressings. CTTE (W. German) was dropped off today at work. Very impressed with the packaging. Those Germans really know how to put together a good product.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Great thread thanks!
    I started with part 1 , but all the album covers are missing now from most of the posts.

25. Rose River Bear

I guess the moderators do that to save computer space. Glad to see you on the thread for the final leg of the tour. :)

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.