Rosetta Hightower, Orlons lead vocalist, RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

Rosetta Hightower, the lead singer for the group The Orlons, has died at the age of 70. Some sources are listing her cause of death as a brain hemorrhage.

The Orlons were formed in the late-50's as Audrey and the Teenettes while Hightower, Marlena Davis and sisters Shirley, Jean and Audrey Brickley while they were still in Junior High. Audrey and Jean soon quit the group after their mother refused to let Audrey appear in clubs, and the Teenettes moved on as a trio.

While in high school, they added Stephen Caldwell and changed their name to the Orlons. Len Berry, lead singer of the Dovells, told them they should audition for Cameo-Parkway Records and, although they were not signed at first, they were added to the label's roster after their third try.

At first, the group was used for backup vocals, including Dee Dee Sharp's Mashed Potato Time and Gravy (With Mashed Potatoes), but they were finally allowed to cut their own music including their first two singles, I'll Be True (1961) and (Happy Birthday) Mr. Twenty-One. It was their third single for Cameo,The Wah-Watusi, that shot them up the national charts, peaking at number 3.

In a time with numerous one-hit wonders, the Orlons managed to put together a string of five top twenty hits, following Wah-Watusi with Don't Hang Up (1962 / #4), South Street (1963 / #3), Not Me (1963 / #12) and Crossfire! (1963 / #19).

A number of lineup changes came after their hit streak ended but they continued to tour, including in England where they remained popular. The group finally broke up in 1968 and Hightower decided to stay in England.

Post-Orlons, Hightower became an in-demand backup singer for sessions, recording with the likes of John Lennon, Joe Cocker, Madeline Bell, Kiki Dee and Lesley Duncan. She also married record producer Ian Green and recorded two solo albums.

Rosetta's son, Ian Green, Jr., is a producer and remixer with Paul Oakenfeld.

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2014/08/passings-rosetta-hightower-lead-singer.html

bluemooze likes this.
  2. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

Aww man...she was so good!

RIP

3. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

4. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Sad news. RIP.

5. John54

John54 Senior Member

Rest in peace. Not Me is my favourite of the band's!

6. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Sad news. Great singer. On Lennon's Power to the People and Cocker's With a Little Help From My Friends. The Orlons did a great cover of Heartbreak Hotel circa 1965. But this will always be my favorite song of theirs:

Beech likes this.
  7. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I don't think she was the lead vocalist on their first two releases that were not hits, and the first release with her lead was Wah-Watusi and they were off and running

8. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

There is an old joke, about waiting for the next record from that tight-knit group, The Orlons.

I remember most of their big hits, though I did not know about the members as individuals.

But I'm moved to say, thank you, and RIP.

9. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Just a passing note about Philly music history.The "Len Berry"mentioned in the obit is really "Len Barry"who had a couple of hits as a solo:"1-2-3"and "Like A Baby".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.