George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Pt3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

So you want more bonus tracks on the other albums, but Living in the Material World should be left alone?

2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

they all need more bonus tracks but no need to add to something that already got the remastered treatement a few years ago. although its an easy to acquire track this is getting into who territory. changing already remastered editions to include more bonus material

3. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Wow! Great work, there. IIRC, doesn't the remaster of Somewhere In England (2004) feature a different mix of Unconsciousness Rules?

theMess likes this.
  4. Were there bonus tracks on any of the Beatles albums ? Ah no

5. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

I am digging the opening song.

heatherly likes this.
  6. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

On first listen, the 2006 remaster does seem to have more clarity than the 2014 samples on iTunes. Probably a case of different EQ choices made by the two teams of engineers.

My preference at this early stage with limited listening would be the 2006 version. It's always been the best sounding George Harrison CD in my collection and maybe that won't change anytime soon.

7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yes because they did anthlogy and bbc session releases for this

Naughty Chord likes this.
  8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I'm sticking with the 2006 LITMW. Good enough for me!

pdenny likes this.
  9. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

reading through this thread again, I have to say I'm a bit surprised by the negativity toward the most recent ATMP, and the vagueness of the criticism. this remaster, particularly the hi-res release, is, for my money, as great as this album has sounded in any format and just serves to enhance its perfection. what is it people don't like about it and why do they prefer the older CD?

10. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The Ebbetts CD is the only listenable one. The mastering on the most recent CD is awful.

11. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Have you compared the Ebbetts CD to the 2010 hi-res download (40th anniversary)? I have never heard the Ebbetts but quite like the 2010 ATMP.

For me, only a remix can further improve the listening experience of the album. Hopefully someday.....

12. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

It seems to start very abruptly to me, as if a tiny bit of the intro was cut off. But I only have it on boot; I've never heard the actual Greenpeace CD, so maybe that's just how it sounds. But it belongs on "the list" even if it's not on MY list -- that's why I mentioned it.
    Again, I went with the version that was available commercially. I have the single mix on a boot, but I'm more accustomed to the album mix and don't mind it.
    Leaving aside the remix issue (I agree that it's probably the original mix), I suspect that it was originally going to be on a proposed 2-CD Let It Roll collection (and valuable as an exclusive track), but when that idea was scuppered, the "Bangla Desh" single didn't make the cut.
    Well, it seems likely to me that they wanted to preserve the "integrity" of the original LPs by having having them intact on separate CDs. George may also have feared that if the bonus tracks were left alone on a CD with the Apple Jam LP, a lot of people might never listen to them. Both of those concerns might have been more valid in the music-listening world of 2001 than now, but it was likely George's decision, and they left it that way.
    I don't see the big deal with it, honestly, especially in an age where anyone can burn a CD of sides 1-4 if they want (as I did in 2001) -- and most people will listen to the album as a playlist anyway.
    Yes indeed, but as with a few other tracks, I went with the one that more widely available. I wasn't indicating a preference for one over the other.
    Ah, thanks for that -- more audio to rip!

theMess likes this.
  13. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Yes, the 2004 remaster for some reason used the originally submitted mix of the song, replacing the one that appeared on the 1981 LP and original CD. I suppose that could be added to the list, but (a) I don't really like the song, and (b) the mixes aren't all that different. And (c) maybe they are different, and I just don't remember because of (a)!

Peter_R likes this.
  14. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

The family seems to not want the Dark Horse tour 'out there'. We'll never see it now.

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  15. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Have we ever heard those harmony vocals on the Dark Horse demo before? Don't remember them being on the bootlegged version!

theMess likes this.
  16. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I will probably buy the box. Maybe not immediately though.

17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I hope that isn't Dhani and Jeff Lynne doing any vocal overdubs on that demo. Let George's demos remain as demos. Please....

Arnie

theMess and Naughty Chord like this.
  18. Arnold Grove

The mix of Unconsciousness Rules on the 2004 CD of Somewhere In England is also about 30 seconds longer. But if you don't like the song in the first place, then 30 more seconds of it won't please you too much.

Arnie

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  19. Arnold Grove

And the 2006 remaster of LITMW is arguably a better-looking package too, especially the deluxe edition in a mini-box with an extra DVD of its own.

[​IMG] <---This is the 2006 deluxe edition!

Arnie

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    theMess, ponkine and helter like this.
  20. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Then they should have also gone with the colorized album cover since George presumably had a lot of input on that.

21. botley

botley Forum Resident

The original cover was included in the 2001 version's booklet, so maybe this one will have the colour-tinted one in its booklet too.

22. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

We do like to get strung up on consistency as and end in itself, rather than just enjoying some good music...

23. Arnold Grove

And that's why I'm putting Electronic Sound on right NOW!! ;) Arnie

anthontherun and theMess like this.
  24. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Fair point. Maybe consistency is more important here...

JimC and Arnold Grove like this.
  25. It's not the cover and the same photo. You need to look it up real close, but in the 2001 booklet one, GH is staring at the camera instead of looking at an angle.

botley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.