Aerosmith on Hdtracks any good?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fitzysbuna, Sep 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member Thread Starter

just wondering if its decent and worth getting ?

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

They are the best versions available IMO. They are not ultra dynamic but they make anything else sound anemic.

pscreed and fitzysbuna like this.
  3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Also, any other version to my ears has a weird sibilance that I did not hear until I got the HD tracks versions.

4. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Do you have Get A Grip from HD Tracks. I just popped over and listened to the previews and they sound like they might have a little more life than the original CD, but it's really hard to tell with such short clips and not being able to compare at the same volume. If you have it, how's it sound?

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It doesn't. The original CD of "Get A Grip" is pretty loud to begin with. The HD Tracks release is just as loud. Vinyl is your best option if you're looking for some punchiness from those songs.

6. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Cool. Thanks for saving me the $15!

7. agentalbert

I'm curious about "Night In The Ruts" and "Rock In A Hard Place", but those albums don't get much attention, so I don't know if anyone here has bought them. At HD Tracks prices, I'm not willing to guinea pig.

8. agentalbert

I've been able to hear a few tracks from "Get Your Wings" and I'm pleased so far. The EQ is very nice. While the numbers might say these are compressed somewhat, they don't sound harsh at all to my ears.

9. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I got Wings and Toys. Both sound good to my ears. I'll probably end up getting Rocks and S/T too.

10. ChrisScooter1

ChrisScooter1 Forum Resident

I got the classic five (S/T, GYW, TITA, Rocks, DTL) and while these are clearly not "audiophile" recordings, the HDTracks versions, to my ears, are natural and respectful of the source. They are the best sounding digital versions I've heard and sound right to my ears...guitars are authentic, the dynamics seem right and they sound like the era. Fun to listen to. Lots of great amp buzz and crunch to pick out. :)

11. batman144144

batman144144 Nocturnal crime fighter/audio enthusiast.

Has anyone compared these to the recent vinyl releases, particularly Toys in the Attic and Rocks that were released over the last two Record Store Days? I have the Toys vinyl and it sounds better than any version that has come before, to my ears. I've had the vintage vinyl, the Sony gold CD, and the SACD. All of them were more or less equal to each other: very dull and flat. The new vinyl managed to wring some fidelity out of the recording I'd never heard before. I'm guessing these hi-res downloads are copies of the masters that the vinyl was pressed from. Does anyone have any more info?

12. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I have a buddy who has some of the new lps. I seem to recall he liked them too. He has some old ones too. I'll try to get him to post here.

13. cageyc

cageyc Forum Resident

I purchased all the "classic" Aerosmith albums on HD Tracks, from the first through "Done With Mirrors," and they all sound pretty good--much better than the early '90s reissues--but there are a couple of mastering glitches in the title track from "Draw The Line." Not a big deal, but still a bummer, considering that the Columbia albums are all new "Sterling sound remasters from the original analog tapes," according to the HD Tracks descriptions. The "Done With Mirrors" album is not a remaster, but it does sound better than the domestic CD, and about on par with the Japanese mini lp CD version.

14. JWolf

JWolf Member

The SBM versions from Box of Fire are really good. Better than the crappy 24-bit disasters. You can really hear the lack of dynamics big time. It's a shame that such a great album was allowed to be ruined.

Here is the DR log from the SBM.

foobar2000 1.3.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2016-04-07 01:00:34

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Aerosmith / Aerosmith (SBM)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR11 -0.12 dB -14.11 dB 3:41 01/08-Make It
    DR11 -0.73 dB -14.02 dB 3:45 02/08-Somebody
    DR10 0.00 dB -13.70 dB 4:28 03/08-Dream On
    DR12 0.00 dB -13.69 dB 7:02 04/08-One Way Street
    DR12 -0.26 dB -14.05 dB 4:29 05/08-Mama Kin
    DR11 -0.15 dB -12.90 dB 4:12 06/08-Write Me
    DR11 -0.23 dB -14.07 dB 5:02 07/08-Movin' Out
    DR12 -0.46 dB -14.68 dB 3:13 08/08-Walkin' the Dog

Number of tracks: 8
    Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 845 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

And here is the log from the crappy 24-bit loudness Wars version.

foobar2000 1.3.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2016-04-25 15:03:41

Analyzed: ? / Aerosmith

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR7 -0.50 dB -9.31 dB 3:41 01/08-Make It (2012 Remaster)
    DR7 -0.50 dB -8.98 dB 3:46 02/08-Somebody (2012 Remaster)
    DR7 -0.50 dB -11.03 dB 4:28 03/08-Dream On (2012 Remaster)
    DR8 -0.50 dB -10.26 dB 7:03 04/08-One Way Street (2012 Remaster)
    DR8 -0.50 dB -10.57 dB 4:29 05/08-Mama Kin (2012 Remaster)
    DR8 -0.50 dB -9.96 dB 4:13 06/08-Write Me a Letter (2012 Remaster)
    DR7 -0.50 dB -9.98 dB 5:03 07/08-Movin' Out (2012 Remaster)
    DR8 -0.50 dB -10.42 dB 3:14 08/08-Walkin' The Dog (2012 Remaster)

Number of tracks: 8
    Official DR value: DR8

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 3040 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

Opeth and rxcory like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.