Ken Burns - "The Roosevelts"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Sep 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

...and football.

lbangs likes this.
  2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Very enjoyable. Great pictures.

3. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

If it's any consolation, I just finished the Roosevelt's and liked it. That said, last night's game was quite good...

4. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

Really?!? Can't like a Ken Burns special and a bit of football. Good to know...

5. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

I'm a big fan of Ken Burns' style of documentary. Just recently bought The Dust Bowl and Prohibition on blu-ray.

I'm watching The Roosevelts as I type this. Fascinating stuff. The familiarity of the storytelling style is part of what makes these documentaries so interesting; it focuses on the people behind the history.

Although I believe that Burns has potentially many subjects and themes to explore, his time frame seems to be limited from the mid 19th Century to the mid 20th. Even his Jazz series tended to peter out by the 1960's. But I'm always looking forward to each new presentation.

6. Slowhead

Slowhead Forum Resident

It has been interesting. Those people got things done.

guy incognito likes this.
  7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I watched the first episode tonight and loved it. I'm almost embarrassed to say this is my first Ken Burns doc and I found it and the style really compelling. I think it's asking too much of the audience though to show this every night for a week. Who has that kind of time? It should be on once a week like Masterpiece.

8. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Agreed. I missed the first installment as my wife and I were on the road, driving back from out of town and I forgot to DVR before we left.

I thought the 2nd installment was very well done and enjoyed it. But I checked my local PBS listing and they will now have me captive for the week through Saturday unless I DVR and then...try to find the time to watch them all in my spare time. I may be just as well bite the bullet and save the DVR space.

Still....well done so far Mr. Burns ....:)

9. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Enjoying it. I wasn't aware of the contention between Mark Twain and TR.

10. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut

Watching it too

11. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I started watching it just the pictures of old NY are compelling by themselves. I can't fault Ken Burns because his work is excellent, but I can't help thinking some other talented Documentarian should get a shot once in a while.

Ken is thorough but he always just gives us the prevailing conventional wisdom on any given topic. He rarely surprises me and he doesn't take risks. PBS uses him as a brand and he get ratings and he raises big corporate bucks, so it works for them.

drasil, marcb and Atmospheric like this.
  12. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I never knew Eleanor led such a sad, horrible life.

13. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

TR was fascinating. But I hadn't realized he was so reckless and, well ... insane. His actions with the Rough Riders around San Juan were totally reckless and he was LUCKY to have survived. It was almost suicidal. His attack on the Philippines was idiotic imperialism run amock. That said, he was in the mold of LBJ in a way - he knew what he wanted, why he wanted it, and worked diligently and smartly to get it done, without hesitation. There's a lot to be said for that. I am especially looking forward to the FDR part. Didn't know he was such a weak, mama's boy type until I guess after college. It will be interesting to see his transformation into a great leader.

guy incognito likes this.
  14. shokhead

I kinda thought TR went for it and really didn't care if he lived or died after his wife and daughter passed.

norman_frappe likes this.
  15. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

All I have to say about this series is.............Bully ! Bully ! Delightful !

16. shokhead

:laugh::agree:

17. chodad

chodad Hodad

Not only a great documentary of the Roosevelts but also an interesting snapshot of those times.

18. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Guess I missed that part. Doing some internet scrolling, and there is a new book out about this. Also did not hear the word "Armour" mentioned in the beef trust problem. They mention the men involved, but leave out the brand names, or did I also miss that?

19. shokhead

Yep, love the pics.

20. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Football! What football? :) The first two episodes were excellent. My plan to DVR them and watch the games didn't work out. Just five minutes and I was hooked.

chrischerm and audiomixer like this.
  21. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Some excellent books out there on TR. One of the best is the recent "The Bully Pulpit" by Doris Kearns Goodwin.

22. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

23. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Watched both nights so far, and it's good. I didn't know Teddy has so reckless, and FDR's mother is a piece of work.

24. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

His first wife died from a kidney ailment two days after giving birth to their daughter, Alice, but the child survived and lived into her 90s.

25. shokhead

Maybe it was his wife and then his mom?

norman_frappe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.