Price Tracker: Beatles Mono Vinyl box set

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by ptijerm, Jun 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Received my box from PopMarket yesterday afternoon. Mint condition. The whole thing is super cool. Looked at the book and listened to side 1 of Please Please Me. Like I said, it's all super cool but I don't think it's for me. Not sure what I was expecting to hear, but I don't think my system is capable of delivering it. I now feel that I don't want to spend another $272 on Beatles music. If anybody in the Boston area wants to come to Arlington they can have it for $260. Send me a PM.

2. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

I would advise you to keep listening before you make any rash decisions. Check out the 2nd and 3rd lps in the Mono Masters. If that doesn't change your mind then sell it.

3. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Just common sense, right? :)

4. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

My USPS experience has not been optimal. Sent Priority Mail 3-Day on Monday. No tracking details until yesterday when it was misdirected to the wrong local zip code.

I paid for Priority mail hoping to minimize the time USPS would handle it. Ugh.

September 12, 2014 , 10:42 pm Delivery status not updated

September 12, 2014 , 9:45 am Arrived at USPS Facility CORPUS CHRISTI, TX 78412

September 12, 2014 , 8:42 am Out for Delivery CORPUS CHRISTI, TX 78412

September 12, 2014 , 8:32 am Sorting Complete CORPUS CHRISTI, TX 78412

September 12, 2014 , 4:49 am Arrived at Post Office CORPUS CHRISTI, TX 78412

September 8, 2014 Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS

5. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Well, Amazon chooses the shipper. My box has been on/off a so many times in 2 days, I'm expecting damage when I receive it. In which case Amazon will absorb the cost of their shipping decision.

I regret buying from Amazon and will stick to my usual audiophile dealers from now on.

6. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yup. If I had it to do over I also would have gone w one of the audiophile dealers. It would have been the same price - $335 or so. I didn't realize amazon.ca would be shipping out of BC rather than Toronto, which really increases in-transit time and the opportunity for mishaps.

However, having gone the amazon route, I will expect to fully leverage their simple and - to-date - highly satisfactory return policy to ensure that the package and contents meet my expectation for a delivered premium item like this.

As of last night my box had arrived in Commerce City, outside of Denver, for Tuesday delivery. (Amazon never specified which carrier, so we shall see.)

On a brighter note, while waiting and fretting on this y-cable approach for optimizing mono, I was delighted to discover that my Sony STR-D1090 actually has an A+B speaker switch, so I am ready to put it to good use!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  7. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME????????
    I thought this was NOT supposed to happen again.
    Sheesh!
    the beave

8. The Beave

This is absolutely CLASSIC!!!!
    the beave

9. The Beave

Holy ****!
    the beave
    the GREAT BEATLE DEBACLE CONTINUES, SMEARING ALL THE GOOD WILL THAT WAS STARTING TO HAPPEN.
    the beave

10. Naughty Chord

Finally received my BIOH box today. Box had been dropped on multiple corners and badly punctured on 2 sides. Actual white LP box has stress creasing and a crushed corner. Multiple LP covers with spine and/or sleeve splits and corner bends. USPS, you suck!

I guess I'm going to find out how easy it is to return things at BIOH. They've been helpful so far so I'm hoping for the best.

11. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

Just got this email today from BAM:

Thank you for your recent purchase at Booksamillion.com. We'd like to give you an update on your order #610300000. In our system, your order is still pending.

Although we've reached out to numerous sources in an attempt to fulfill your order, we've been unsuccessful. We apologize, but the items below have been backordered or cancelled.

If items were backordered, your order is still pending in our system. It could take two to four weeks to ship these items, and shipment is not guaranteed.
    If items were cancelled, there were insufficient quantities available. The item(s) will be cancelled from your order in our system.

Qty Item # Description

1 5099963379716 The Beatles: Mono Box Set

12. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

Thats why I quit buying records through the mail. Good luck on your return.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  13. Based on the positive reviews, I'm now very tempted to get this set. As it stands, Bull Moose - whom I feel comfortable ordering from - has the LP box set for $337. But, depending on how the chips fall, it looks like I can pick up the albums individually for app. $275 ($20 for the single albums, $35 for the White Album and $60 for Past Masters).

From what I can tell all I'd be getting extra by ordering the box is, well, the box itself and the book. For those of you who have the set, is the extra cost of the box $62 justified or am I better off getting the LPs individually?

Wish I got in on the Pop Market deal as the point would be moot.

14. Naughty Chord

Thanks. I've had pretty good luck online with only a few disappointments. But this experience could very well shape my future buying habits one way or the other.

Since many here expressed initial reluctance to buy this box from BIOH because of the potential return experience I'll let you guys know how things go.

15. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

I ordered the box set from BAM for $300. So the extra $25 is a no brainer. BAM is now out of stock. Now what to do?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  16. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

Beave; You also ordered from BAM the same night as me, did you get an email saying your order was back ordered?

17. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I was trying to decide that same thing as well. The book is really nice and the box is actually pretty durable. I did take all of the records out of the sleeves to prevent ringwear so I do have a really nice box with just the jackets and book in it. I would have easily paid $40 for just the book and I got a deal on the BooksAMillion sale for $287. I am glad that I popped for the whole thing.

jim249 and Shawn like this.
  18. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

Was it shipped USPS or UPS? Thanks

19. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

Judging from Ebay, if you buy the box, you could always sell the box and/or book and make some money back. If your going to order it or the LPs from Bull Moose, be aware that the single LPs generally seem to only stay on sale for a week or so after release. I don't remember how long the stereo box was on sale after release. I just went to buy Rubber Soul at the local store, they were all out of it and Revolver.

Shawn likes this.
  20. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I paid for expedited shipping so it was sent 3 Day Select via UPS. I ordered it last Sunday and it arrived on Thursday night.

It was only $5.99 I think - pretty cheap.

jim249 likes this.
  21. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

Amazon.CA is at $356.53 this morning.

22. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

Amazon.it is at € 299.90 for those who are interested

23. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Was pleasantly surprised to see that deepdiscount didn't actually charge me for shipping on this, despite a $12.99 shipping charge showing up on the order invoice. Wound up getting it for $282.63. :)

Now we'll see how accomodating they are when it comes to replacing my defective White Album...

Davidmk5 likes this.
  24. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

OK - I think it's time for plan B. My buddy in Southern Cal tells me he got his set from amazon.ca today - with a $38 COD charge for the customs handling. My delivery is scheduled for tomorrow, and I'm not happy about the prospect of that kind of surcharge in addition to amazon.ca charges. I'm thinking about refusing delivery on the amazon.ca package tomorrow evening and then placing an order w either Music Direct or Acoustic Sounds, which I would hope to get yet this week. It sounds like both of them have been pretty good about immediate shipping, properly packaged in original manufacturer's carton. Anyone have any other comments on either them re their shipping or returns?

(I also noticed that one of the posters above (markp) is getting his set delivered to the Bay Area from Toronto, while my set is being sent from the amazon.ca facility in BC to St Louis. Crazy.)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  25. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

That sucks!! I would have never even thought of any customs fees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.