Beatles mono VINYL box set (Part #13)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slane

slane Forum Resident

There's some background 'oohs' and stuff, but the main 'ahs' are Paul.

Onder, Dinstun and SamtheMan like this.
  2. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I want to add my support to those who say these records should be cleaned before playing. I've only purchased three individual albums, MMT, SP, and White. I used a dry Discwasher on them before playing, and I thought that would be enough. Wrong. I played MMT and SP first....MMT sounded fair, SP sounded pretty good. Then while I was listening to side one of the White, near the end of "Julia" I began to hear a bunch of distortion as though something was scraping the record! I admit, I freaked a bit. At that point, I added some D4+ to my discwasher ( yeah, it's all I've got, can't afford some of those fancy record cleaners just yet) and distortion was gone. Whew! I was beginning to think it was just my lot in life to always have imperfect Beatles' records. MMT and SP both had slight warps. I put on White and it's perfectly flat! Yea! Maybe I've finally gotten one without flaws! Then the distortion..........oh well, all's well that ends well!

ParloFax likes this.
  3. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Well I am playing mine at the moment and I have only wiped them with a micro-fibre dry cloth and they sound fine, dead quiet, I have never heard While My Guitar sound so good :)

4. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

So if side 2 of MMT is essential Pepper era singles couldn't you just use that as side four of Mono Masters?

5. vadthebad

vadthebad Well-Known Member

Nah. The main "Ah..." is John. Paul is on the background with "Ooh...", definitely.

Dusty Ol'Rekkids and irender like this.
  6. slane

slane Forum Resident

Nah.

7. Huck Caton

Huck Caton Well-Known Member

Nope.

8. vadthebad

John sings the aaahs according to George Martin’s and Geoff Emerick’s testimonies.

9. moofassa_ca

moofassa_ca Senior Member

Sounds like John to me.

10. A question about cleaning new vinyl LPs. Probably not worth a separate thread since you guys are already at it.

What if you first spin the LP as is, and the stylus comes off perfectly clean; can one assume then that the record is OK (needs no wet cleaning)? If a record comes from a "dirty plant" or production line and has residues like what's pictured a few pages back, wouldn't this build up on the stylus anyway, thus alerting to the necessity of cleaning? I have a pretty good magnifying glass for this... And I hate cleaning for nothing.

11. Els opinions

Els opinions Forum Resident

I don't. I clean my stylus before every needle drop. I hear the difference if I don't

12. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

I've noticed that a lot of the early Ringo songs sound particularly good. What Goes On sounds great.

Gavinyl, Millington, Robin L and 2 others like this.
  13. slane

slane Forum Resident

Maybe Ringo did the mastering ;)

Gavinyl, Adam9, hi_watt and 2 others like this.
  14. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

I guess I am, too. I bought the Orotfon 2M SE (limited edition Beatles mono cart) and a spare tonearm specifically so I could spin the new vinyl in true mono. My ARC preamp has a mono button so I didn't really NEED the cart, but it sure does look cool! :agree:

googlymoogly and hi_watt like this.
  15. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

Well - I only have 2 original LP's to judge by;
    "More of the Monkees" - Stereo, and Mono. I wouldn't give either one any awards for sonics.
    Maybe others were recorded better.

16. I used to be positive it was John... Now not so much! There is so much echo and stuff in this bit, it is hard to tell...

John sings very good in his verses, for a not so easy song. Pretty out-of-tune here and there in the "Ahs" bit...

lightbulb likes this.
  17. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

The truth finally comes out. Ringo is the real Starr of the Beatles.

18. vadthebad

John's voice is more "from his head", whereas Paul's is more "from his chest". Echo cannot change this. Remember, how Paul sang "Aaaaah, look at all the lonely people..." from ER? Now, try and compare it to John's "Aaaah" from ADITL and you will get it.

AnalogJ, CMcGeek and ParloFax like this.
  19. Bashkar Menhon

chacha likes this.
  20. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Just got through LP 1 of the White Album, the only Beatles album I know perfectly from start to finish. It's been a constant in my listening rotation since way back. Perfectly flat and dead quiet save a few tics before Don't Pass Me By. Outstanding job with this. I fear Helter Skelter may slay me!

bluemooze and hi_watt like this.
  21. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

One two ...... Three four

Maidenpriest likes this.
  22. irender

irender Forum Resident

Sounds just like John. Ooo's sound just like Paul.

23. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Your rich then :laugh:

Gavinyl, struttincool and Millington like this.
  24. CMcGeek

CMcGeek Loves records maybe too much

I used to have the first 4 Monkees LPs in mono, and actually, "She" on the 2nd album MOTM always sounded really cool in its mono mix

Millington and 389 Tripower like this.
  25. golobali

golobali Forum Resident

I got my box from amazon.it and after I read so many positive comments I'm a little bit disappointed, my records are not warped but almost every record that I heard until now (listened chronological until "For Sale") has for my taste some clicks too much between the tracks although I cleaned them with my rcm before listening. It doesn't make a difference if I listen over my stereo-Ortofon-Rega or monobridged-Shure-Dual turntable. Some records were not accurate deflashed (is this the right word?) so I had to take care if there are vinyl crumbs on the records before I cleaned them. The spindle hole from "For Sale" is also a little bit to small and the record is clamped on my spindle, I can't change it on the fly as I normally do. Return or not to return, that's the question, the difficulty is, I don't really talk or write italian ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.