Why are people COMPLAINING about the new U2 album!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bcaulf, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

The only thing I have to say about this "comment" that would be constructive is that I'm just a little pleased that not one person who read this thread choose to "like" it. Makes me think there's hope yet for reasoned discourse on the SH forums.

Tuco likes this.
  2. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

For me, it's a simple equation.

U2 is a band that, for many years, has seemed to operate under the assumption that "you love us, *of course* you love us." To me, they're the Dallas Cowboys of rock and roll. No, I don't like you, and you sure don't represent rock and roll to me.

So U2 hooks up with Apple, a corporation that does what modern corporations do. Both U2 and Apple conspire to do something on a grand scale that is so eye-rollingly them that it's practically self-parody. But it was all in earnest...such Orwellian earnest.

Stuart S and DDTM like this.
  3. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

Uh that's not a groundbreaking thought. Certain fans just accept anything ______ do as great. (Fill in the blank with any artist or band EVER). Go ahead with that thought process. Try it. Try "Rush". Try "Kanye West". Try "The Cure". Try "Taylor Swift". Because in the end certain fans will accept anything they're a fan of will always be great. But not all fans, just certain ones.

Fans of U2 are not different than any fans of any other band. Certainly you'll find this to be true ;)

4. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I remember when they PRETENDED to be both a rock band an an alternative.
    I was never fooled by it.

5. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

They lost me when their mastering went to crap along with everyone else's.

6. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

So some people are upset that a FREE U2 album appears on their iPod or iPhone without their "consent?" Those would be the same people who blindly and automatically sync their devices not knowing the consequences of doing so.

Colgin likes this.
  7. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Isn't the real problem that they gave the album to half a billion people when only about 2 million or so were going to buy it, hence 498 million people complain.

somnar and Mark like this.
  8. Linus Vendeen

Linus Vendeen Forum Resident

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/15/apple-u2-album-itunes-delete?CMP=fb_gu

I'm not sure people can say it hasn't backfired in some way. Yes sales of old product are up which is good for U2s bank balance but it must be a bit depressing for Bono to realise how many people dislike him. After all he is not Gene Simmons who doesn't mind being hated. I assume Bono thinks he is a great and good man, not an annoying twat.

Most importantly it has backfired for Apple and this is what matters as they not U2 are the people paying out for this. As is often the case with technology they did this because they could, not becasuse they should. And as people get more up tight about privacy, security, device access and survellance companies like Apple and Facebook casually excersising their power to do things like this gets up people's noses. Especially when a simple opt in would have been much nicer and made them appear more generous. In the end it has caused lots of negative PR that Apple could have done without and now they have had to bow to public pressure and try and fix it with a U2 removal tool that will create more bad PR.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    Rasputin likes this.
  9. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

and, if they dont give away the next one for free theyll get flack from the peeps that are now dissing them for giving it away. here is what they will say: U2 are corporate tools for deciding not to give away the album for free instead of going the extra mile and giving it away properly by hiring a couple of thousand of peeps to download to each computer that requests the FREE cd instead of just giving away to everyone.

dkmonroe likes this.
  10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

They'll probably offer it free of charge with a download voucher - you want it, you get it. And we'll have the same conversation again about how they're douchebags, because, hey, U2.

Gaslight and goombay like this.
  11. dkmonroe

This album isn't "mastered to crap."

Gaslight and Billy Infinity like this.
  12. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Because, as far as I'm aware, this is the first time material has been pushed onto peoples' devices. I don't really care about U2 either way any more, but the choice about whether their material should appear on my computer/iPhone/iPod should be mine.

If it doesn't stop now, not sure where it will stop: will Apple push a new album every day? Ten albums every day? A hundred? It's just a click of the mouse for them. Would you be ok with that?

Hawkman and ProgDave74 like this.
  13. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

there is no doubt in my mind that it will happen. offering a free download voucher would mean only peeps that like u2 will probably download it, a ploy by U2 to avoid criticism.

dkmonroe likes this.
  14. somnar

somnar Senior Member

What "problem" that's discussed on this forum isn't a "first world problem"? Cartridge decisions? Mastering woes? Which Elvis Costello reissue to buy?

Scopitone, nbakid2000, cc-- and 4 others like this.
  15. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Hmm … a hundred free albums a day … and none of them take up any of my storage space unless I download them … sounds great, actually.

16. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

Im good with the hundreds of free albums a day too.

dkmonroe likes this.
  17. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I think you'd be in the minority there.

18. dkmonroe

The idea that this opens the door to Apple pushing ten albums a day to your iPod is just ridiculous. Do you really think that after all the tears and recriminations over this one album that they're going to retaliate by giving you ten a day? C'mon, that's just silly.

(Note to Apple: if you wanna give me ten free albums a day, I'm cool with it :laugh:)

The album didn't turn up on any of our devices, it only went to the cloud because we don't set our devices to download everything automatically. If you fear a sudden downpour of unwanted albums, that is an option. But I reiterate: they aren't going to do that.

19. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I think they're also the people who realize the last good U2 album came out in the 1980s.

20. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

If you take the U2 haters out of the equation, no not even close.

21. Spacement Monitor

Spacement Monitor Forum Resident

This is the most depressing part...what if you gave away an album and no one knew who you were?

http://www.whoisu2.com/

22. somnar

somnar Senior Member

It isn't going to happen because there's been so much backlash. That's why it's good we all voice our concerns.

23. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

So am I. Free music, great.

nbakid2000 and goombay like this.
  24. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I'm talking about people who actually hold jobs, play with others, etc.

25. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

As I look over my shoulder trying to not let the boss see me typing this. o_O
    Love these nutty conversations. makes my day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.