Jimi Hendrix's 'The Cry of Love' and 'Rainbow Bridge' Treated to Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crazyhorse11, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It would make too much sense to release the original version of VoN . We already know there is no rhyme or reason as to how the Hendrix posthumous material is released and administrated.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Which highlights that Kramer wasn't always the best evaluator of releasable music. There was also a lot of other compelling music recorded at TTG in '68 that could have been considered as well. Kramer has ideas of what should constitute a mainstream, commercial record and that can cloud his judgment (like it did recently with VoN and PHA).

BIG ED likes this.
  3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

There was definitely good stuff left in the vaults but they may not have had some of the tapes available when the early releases were compiled. I believe that Janie has stated before that when Experience Hendrix took of the administration some "missing tapes were returned or acquired."

BIG ED and jhm like this.
  4. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I've already done it for my own listening using a period correct Fender Jazz Bass and I played exactly what Billy did on other versions of the songs I've heard. I like the intro to that version rather than the released intro which is just the middle of the song tacked on to the beginning! :cry:

5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

6. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Here in the UK we get Rainbow Bridge on Sept 15, Cry Of Love on Oct 20th - one question, I see that we are getting two LP versions of each - a 180g and a 200g, the latter being more expensive - my question is, why? I'm thinking I might just get the 180g versions and save a bit of money, what possible benefit can there be from the difference in weight...unless...one is a EU release and the other a US....??

7. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

They will probably get around to releasing a "Sessions" box--including "Valleys of Neptune"-- sooner or later. After all, there is a market for it.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  8. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I've probably said this many times now but anyway...Valleys of Neptune was never finished, nor it ever will be, but it was one of the songs that Jimi had in mind for his fourth studio album. Therefore, i suggest that would EH release a FROTNRS box set with the original vocal version AND the instrumental take from 1970. We don't know for sure what songs would have been on the album, but we know enough to tell where he was heading.

9. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

One interesting thing about 'Lifelines'
    Holy Crap that looks Horrible.
    the beave

10. abbeyroad2

abbeyroad2 Forum Resident

True.

11. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

Excellent! Does anyone think Two Great Experiences (1971), Rare Hendrix (1972), and Moods (1973) will be next after those?

dino77 likes this.
  12. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Well, I hit one of the Best Buys this morning and on asking was told they didn't get the CD's. So I went to the Barnes and Noble across the parking lot and they had em but hadn't put them out yet and paid $11.99 each. Saw someone else here saying BB didn't have em. Looks like B.B. is getting out of the in store music bussiness.
    BTW-Room Full of Mirrors on the new Rainbow Bridge CD sounds like the extended outro version that I remember hearing once the radio before the album came out with the shortened version. Way to go G.B. & E.H!
    G.B's mastering is pretty close to the original non-no noised Reprise CD and even a vinyl sourced German CD bootleg of Rainbow Bridge. Thank god it's not brickwalled like the First Rays MCA & Legacy versions.
    My friend still says he's schedualed to get his R.B. today from Amazon. I'll probably wait till the vinyl show up at one my neighborhood Half-Price Books in the months to come unless I brake down sooner than later.

BIG ED likes this.
  13. texquad

texquad Senior Member

You guys were right! Just got an update from my friend and his R.B. vinyl has been delayed to Oct. 7.

14. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

So your saying if the "Record Plant" session tracks were finished those tracks would have gone too Cap/Chaplin?

Unbelievably GREAT "Timeline"!!!
    Getting too see what concerts Jimi was going too is too cool.

Purple Jim likes this.
  15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Who knows? If Gypsy Sun & Rainbows had got it together in the studio, if Jimi hadn't cracked, he might have had a lot of new material in the can by the end of 1969. He might have considered putting an album together from the tapes to settle the Chalpin dispute. Because BOG were a little slow to get off the mark in the studio in November/December meant that the live option was the one they went with.

16. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

The 'essay' is just accumulating & passing along conjecture. So nothing's "True or False"; just stories.
    Specifically bout Jimi's death i'll always go by the coroner & Monika.
    Nothng else butt the medical registrar, not even Burton's proposed 'suicide note'.

17. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Then what about "Loose Ends"?
    Your saying Reprise turned down Jeffery & Reprise's own chosen tracks!

18. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Maybe, maybe not. the marketing from EH, or Sony or is it that kid they pulled in who was passing on the street? is reliable in its lack of clarity. Some would say honesty! They pulled a few tricks with regard Monterey earlier in the year. two different albums marketed as the same release bar the vinyl weight, the US 200 and EU 180.

JP Christian and BIG ED like this.
  19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Kramer and Mitchell were out by Loose Ends. Jeffrey made the picks and it was declined by Reprise as not up to snuff.

BIG ED likes this.
  20. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

You mean that folks will have already have sold their vinyl copies to Half-Price Books by that time, or that Half-Price Books will be selling factory overstock within the next few months?

21. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Yes. He needed to give an album to Capitol. That is a fact. After countless studio sessions, it proved to be far easier to make a live album.

22. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Finally, "Who Knows" that Hendrix was going too give finishED studio songs away too "C/C", well i know he didn't.
    BIG thanks for that.

23. texquad

texquad Senior Member

HPB is selling new vinyl these days and I've purchased about a half dozen new Hendrix titles in the last year.

BIG ED and Emperor5353 like this.
  24. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

How does the price compare to Amazon or the local record shop? I assume it's considerably lower.

25. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

"Two Great Experiences" was sort of re-issued by BMG a few years ago. It's interesting stuff found in better sound quality elsewhere. "Rare Hendrix" and "Moods" have no Hendrix performances on them.
    Yes, I know it was a joke :).

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.