Grateful Dead Box Set - Spring 1990 (The Other One)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgb70, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

Listening to Copps and Albany first, the two shows I was in. Pure heaven, finally something that captures the energy of the moment.

musicalbeds likes this.
  2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Same thing with the first box, Rocky. I should have kept it but I just don't have the room.

therockman likes this.
  3. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

My Wake Up To Find Out discs came today.
    I asked my wife to order me the complete set for Christmas.
    I am sure she will, but now will have to wait a few months to hear it !!!
    So I am living vicariously through this thread.
    Glen

4. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

I hope this is the first of a wave of hi-Rez releases. I hate to buy stuff twice but some shows like One From the Vault or the 73 Winterland shows in hi-Rez would be great.

5. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

Is the cardboard attached or free standing?

6. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Have only had time to listen to the first show. Great sound and great performance. I can tell I am going to spend some time with this one.

7. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Skipped forward to the 3/28 Nassau. I don't remember them doing Revolution? I also don't remember any previous Dead covers of The Weight before 3/18?

8. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Hearing how great this set sounds, it makes me wish they had just redone 3/24 as a standalone concert instead of needing 4 releases for the complete show.

9. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

Drums/ Space are incredible on these.

Taylor16 likes this.
  10. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Well, that's an opinion spoken as fact, isn't it? Point being, I saw 20 shows from '82-'85 and I guess I caught them at one of the biggest lows of their career. However, a few of these shows rank with the best music I've ever witnessed live (SPAC '83, '84 and '85 among them). Here in 2014, I've only got so much time to listen to music. I am aware that set lists mean nothing when compared to how stuff was played, but I'm in general agreement with Rne, with one addition: MIDI = unlistenable; not something I want in perfect sound quality. I want to buy it, but I just can't. I know I'll be annoyed/disappointed.

As with Rne; enjoy your new material!

11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I kept thinking that when listening to the first show from here. Really kinda annoying if you ask me. How hard would that have been to add a few extra songs that have already been released ?

12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Is it just attached via a magnet, it is not really attached. It might take a little bit of energy to remove it the first time.

13. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

my magnets have already fallen out... may glue em in

14. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Maybe we should start a campaign to have Jeffrey Norman rework this show from the multis for a digital only release?

Erik B., BillG, xj32 and 1 other person like this.
  15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Debut version of The Weight was 3/28/90. They did Revolution dating back to around 1983.

16. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

First Revolution was 10.12.83 at MSG.
    Second Revolution was 10.17.83 in Lake Placid. (An amazing show).
    Third Revolution was 10.22.83 at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse.

Saw all three of these- good times.

17. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

[QcouldUOTE="US Blues, post: 11074950, member: 50197"]First Revolution was 10.12.83 at MSG.
    Second Revolution was 10.17.83 in Lake Placid. (An amazing show).
    Third Revolution was 10.22.83 at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse.

Saw all three of these- good times.[/QUOTE]
    I could only find Revolution on one commercial release....Terrapin Lmited 3/15/90.

18. Bingo

Bingo Forum Resident

Get Back, Day Tripper, Hey Jude, Rain, Lucy in the Sky, Revolution, Why Don't We Do it in The Road, Blackbird, Tomorrow Never Knows and All Too Much...did I miss any other Beatle songs The Grateful Dead played?

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I Want To Tell You

Bingo likes this.
  20. Bingo

Bingo Forum Resident

OK, you can tell me. :laugh:

21. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Also, not exactly Beatles but.........
    That Would Be Something

For awhile in 1995, they were supposedly soundchecking "Watching The Wheels" with Vince Welnick singing. I don't know if there were planning to debut it later on.

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Poking around on Google after reading this I found this interview with Vince from March 95 which is an interesting snapshot of the time. He mentions "Watching The Wheels" and also alludes to a "Strawberry Fields" cover.

23. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Vince was responsible for a lot of the Beatles covers the last few years.

24. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I am loving this set. The sound is wonderful. I wish they'd go back and remix the first Spring 1990 box set and send me a free copy! :) Actually, I would spend the money to buy it again for it to be mixed from the mutli-tracks.

I guess there is no doubt that the band really was ON for this tour. But I also wonder how many other great runs would be more apparent had they been professionally recorded and could be professionally mixed. I really wish the shows from June 1991 were multi-tracked. I always thought that with Bruce & Vince, the 'busy-ness' of the performances were a put off to some because the soundboard (and audience) mixes can be all over the place. Sometimes Bobby or Jerry would kick some midi stuff on and it would come blaring out on top of a run that someone else was doing or Jerry would switch and the volume would go down... and all those keyboards shoved off to the right... If it could all be evened out, it could pretty awesome.

Taylor16 likes this.
  25. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I am seriously considering buying the hi-res digital downloads of the first Spring 1990 box since I missed it when it came out, and I don't want to pay the outrageous prices on eBay. But if there's some chance they may re-mix, maybe I will wait. Does anyone really think this is a possibility?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.