Beatles mono VINYL box set (Part #13)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I do I have a rubber matt, so vertical tracking is how low the needle goes etc ?

2. vadthebad

vadthebad Well-Known Member

I think so. It makes perfect sense. I raised this subject 2 years ago, but some people here would not agree with me. Now the truth is revealed, at least for me it is 100% clear.

3. What Jim B. said above. Or on the contrary if you are "tail up", just add some more mat(s). You may also adjust the mounting height of your cartridge. All so that your tonearm (or bottom of cartridge) is +/- parallel to the record surface. A matter of taste for the sound also. But as a general rule, parallel is better.

4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

They're also on 1967-'70. :)

Buddhahat likes this.
  5. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

When I read something like this "It would be possible, but they would not sound the same as the eq choices and repairs that were done would not be possible to do in realtime", I realize I know absolutely nothing about what goes in the making of a vinyl record.
    Could someone point me to a simple but thorough description of the process ?

6. Sean Magee: you did great job but "vinyls"? o_O

Gavinyl, Ash76, bluemooze and 4 others like this.

7. This is more modern
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PRxEoWNQls

8. He's trying to be up with it for the hipsters. :laugh:

9. schnulli

schnulli Forum Resident

Making the CDs sound like the old vinyl (means equalized for cheapo record players in the 60s -> no top, no bass) was the wrong decision.
    Thank god, they fixed it with the new vinyl ... :righton:

10. Sort of... I wish I had a link for this but can't find it...

Look up (google) "turntable set-up" "VTA" etc. You will certainly find tons of stuff on the subject. Probably even some nice Youtubes where they show you all you need to know about this.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  11. Rundfunk

Rundfunk Forum Resident

How can you deduce that from Magees quote?

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No engineer made the mono CDs sound like the old vinyl. Tape hiss is perfectly balanced. That means: No EQ was added. Get over it, people.

Gavinyl, zen, bluemooze and 12 others like this.
  13. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

WRONG ANSWER! ;-) IDWTSTP, in what might be the only case in the Beatles' canon, features Paul singing the lower register in the harmony to John's upper. It's not John double-tracked. Listen closely and you could tell it's Paul.

nikh33 likes this.
  14. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

It does look cool. How does it sound to you?

Gavinyl likes this.
  15. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

So you really DON'T know who sings what. John does the highest parts in both early songs, ie "I can do" and "Hand", Paul does the lower vocal in I Don't Want to Spoil the Party. But don't worry, I suggest it may be helpful to you to listen more closely. The Ah's in A Day in The Life are indeed Paul, which surprised me when I discovered it, too.

Maidenpriest and Onder like this.
  16. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Correct (but also true of Day Tripper- Paul starts then goes low under John).

Onder likes this.
  17. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

He can call them anything he wants-platters, wax, vinyls. As long as he doesn't call me late to listen to these!

daveidmarx likes this.
  18. daveidmarx

Plus, you get the 45 mix of Let It Be as a bonus! But doesn't that album (along with the Hey Jude lp for that matter) fade the final drumbeat of The Ballad Of J & Y till it's barely audible?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  19. Rakalm

Rakalm New Member

The Mono Masters was the only LP in mine which was shrink wrapped and had no Love insert like the other records. Has that been the experience of others? I am up to The Beatles listening and all have been great, any warping has been very minor. Very quiet pressings.

Gavinyl likes this.
  20. vadthebad

vadthebad Well-Known Member

I told you, I did not pay attention to it on purpose like you did. I agree it is Paul. So what? It is written on the cover anyway, the main vocal is upper, it is John for sure... What is the trick of yours? :)

21. daveidmarx

So he does... so he does! Forgive me - I'm at work and going from memory (which is almost full).

nikh33 likes this.
  22. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I'm sure it's been done but how do the mono songs on the 2014 U. S. CD Box compare to the 2009 mono CDs?

23. daveidmarx

Clean living, a good diet and regular exercise.

vadthebad likes this.
  24. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Interesting - I already own a Blue Box.....:)

25. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.