Beatles mono VINYL box set (Part #13)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schnulli

schnulli Forum Resident

The "Nowhere Man" EP has a tremendous bass. Just like what was said about the Rubber Soul masters. This makes me think...
    Maybe they did a flat transfer making the EP CD's ?? They all sound better to me than the mono CD Box...

2. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

There was always this joke that if you were cooking pancakes, the first few usually were all jacked up before the rest of them started to come out good. I guess my metaphor did not work all that well.

Ash76 and groovelocked like this.
  3. Scott02720

Scott02720 Well-Known Member

Because it is John. No question

4. schnulli

schnulli Forum Resident

Page 104 in the mono Box book. This is where they discussed equalization of RS because the masters have such a heavy bass...

delmonaco likes this.
  5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It was also a review of Tchaikovsky's First Piano Concerto, immortalized in Nicholas Slonimsky's "Lexicon of Musical Invective":

"Tchaikovsky's First Piano Concerto, like the first pancake, is a flop."

And for the record, my copy of Revolver from Rasputin's was pristine and perfect—un-nervingly so.

bluemooze likes this.
  6. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Well, who can be sure... or may be, when they did the Mono CD box, they applied some moderate EQ in order to achieve more balanced and uniform sound for all the tracks.

7. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Face it guys, we've lost this one.

Ash76, crispi, struttincool and 6 others like this.
  8. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

This quote is over-simplifying the process it seems. Go back and watch one of those promo videos where they discussed the whole process. It wasn't like they said they were re-creating the mastering of the originals per se. I took from it that they listened to original mono LPs, reviewed the original mastering notes for consideration, then made the best choices for the new "vinyls" that they could based on all factors. In other words, the team paid due attention to what the fans would expect them to sound like (those who have the original UK mono LPs) and then improved on that where possible with the new ones.

Dee Zee and crispi like this.
  9. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

ah, thanks, I still didn't have the time to read the book.

10. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet.

12. schnulli

schnulli Forum Resident

Unless somebody provides the information about how the mono tapes have been transferred to digital and how the CDs were EQ'd (if at all) it is all speculation...
    There are so many ways making a record, be it CD or vinyl...
    I am glad that the new monos vinyl records have a decent sound and i can live with the CDs too.

Keith V likes this.
  13. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

Having recently purchased the stereo vinyl box as well, I must say that I have been really surprised to find how much I have enjoyed listening to the sound of the early albums on remastered vinyl (both stereo and mono). To think that I almost did not buy the boxes because I thought I would skip the first three albums which each only have a couple songs I really like. For me those early albums are the highlight discovery of these sets... just a real audiophile moment for me listening to how they made those early 60's recordings shine. I don't have any UK vinyl, so these really seem to come alive for me compared to the 2009 mono and stereo CDs.

14. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Actually two days ago I made some comparison between the new mono LPs and the CDs from the mono box of the SPLHCB and MMT. On my setup they sound very similar. All other titles sound completely different. This can be some clue, as long as we know that SPLHCB is flat transfer on these new monos, and presumably there are no any original mastering notes at Abbey Road studio regarding MMT LP cut (as it's a Capitol creation).

15. irender

irender Forum Resident

There were a couple of Beatles songs I was not really fond of......until now. These recordings are phenomenal. Every song seems to have something I haven't heard before. We are all fortunate to have these.

Gavinyl, mihu, Ash76 and 4 others like this.
  16. CMcGeek

CMcGeek Loves records maybe too much

I'm 48, so, if that's still old to you at 45, wow.
    No, on the CDs there are high-pitched tones (on both the '87 remaster and the '09) that are practically in-your-face. I guess they used a whole 'nother thing for that release. I can hear the whistle on the record, I'm just saying it's not as clear as it was on the CDs, which makes me wonder if it was even a dog whistle at all on the CDs. I think the original whistle was cut directly into the lacquer master (if that's what was used to press the original LPs). Maybe it had to be needle-dropped from that record or possibly re-recorded? Not sure.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  17. Kevin Gray?

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Last I heard he was still making LPs. :p

Gavinyl likes this.
  19. MickJ7

MickJ7 Forum Resident

has anyone bought individual albums? any problems with them? I've got the boxset and Hard Days Night has a few clicks on it and light surface scratches.
    I want to try replacing with an individual album rather than returning the whole thing to Italy from UK.

By the way i was playing one album and in the grooves between songs there's distortion immediately before the start of each song. I've cleaned it and it seems a bit better now. I don't think the distortion (a bit like non fill but can't see any) occurs during the actual song but it does seem a bit weird.

20. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I don't know who sings it. Do you think you know?. Like you thought you knew the other ones but were wrong?

21. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Cutting a side of a record needs to be one smooth, uninterrupted process. You generally can't stop the cutting lathe and re-start it part of the way through an album side. If you're cutting straight from the analog master tapes (as they did for the mono box set), the information you're cutting onto the vinyl is the same information on the tape...mistakes and all. You can adjust little things like EQ, on the fly, as the cutting is occurring. But you can't repair little editing mistakes during the cutting process. (You could possibly fix them before hand, but that either involves copying the recording onto another tape...adding one generation to the analog chain...or taking a razor to the valuable original master.)

If you do make EQ changes when cutting from analog tape, you are making those changes while the laquer is being cut (in "real time"). Make a mistake and you have to start all over again. If you're cutting from a digital file, in contrast, you can make all of the EQ changes and repairs you want beforehand on the computer...spending many hours just to tweak the digital file the way you want it to sound...then cut it to vinyl when you have it ready.

Clear as mud?

Ash76, Da Commish, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  22. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

please see my posts on page 31

23. :biglaugh::nyah::laugh:

Robin L likes this.
  24. 28IF

28IF Forum Resident

Only managed to listen to Pepper onwards at this stage. But alas, my Pepper was warped.:realmad: Contacted JB Hifi and within seconds they confirmed a straight swap over NQA!! No sending whole boxes back at my expense etc etc. I knew there was a good reason I went through them. "JB, you've done it again"!!!!!

Ash76 and Edgard Varese like this.
  25. Scott02720

Scott02720 Well-Known Member

I will make a point of listening for it on some stereo pressings I have. I didn't know if you were 18 or 80 when I responded to your post...I'm just saying that when I read about it in the book, I wondered if I would be able to hear it...so now I am curious. I never really listened for it before

CMcGeek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.