"The Leftovers" (HBO series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Random thoughts...

I think the wild dogs might be a metaphor for sheriff Kevin. Somehow broken and unfixable after the departure.

One of the deer had a balloon that said "it's a girl" by its antlers right around the time Christine have birth to Holy Wayne ' baby.

Nora (whom I am starting to love, by the way) had to endure the absolute most horrible... trick? by the GR by coming down to see her "family" back at the kitchen table. It actually made me angry.

Has anyone who has read the book here? Is this where thy book ends? Are they winging it now? Starting from scratch?

I liked seeing Amy (sheriff Kevin daughters friend) will she be back?

Anyone else think Liv Tyler looked batsh!t crazy being tied up to the light pole, as if vengeance was going to be swift, and fun?

Having asked that...I still don't know what the hell is going on.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Good choice of songs also. I wish I could find a listing of each episode's soundtrack.
    Nina Simone's version of Jacque Brel's Ne Me Quitte Pas (Don't Leave Me)
    Sleepwalk - Santo & Johnny

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, I agree with the first half of that sentence... :realmad:

4. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I'm in this mostly for the visuals, which have a surreal power. I have no idea what the story itself is actually about, beyond being a meditation on loss and how we cope with it or don't cope with it. But the visual imagination is intense here.

L.

stereoptic likes this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

season one:

excellent, without a doubt. should get a whole lot of emmy consideration next year.

justin thereaux (sp?) did a fine job, as did amy brennemen, liv tyler, thereaux's daughter and the leader of the GR.

but, carrie coon, if the world is right and just, will become a true star. she was better than anything or anyone else on TV right now. her upcoming role in "gone girl" should only solidify her ability to act. i looked forward to when she was on the screen. her facial expression at the very end was worth a million words, and the scene at the kitchen table was heart-wrenching.

can't wait to see where this goes next year.

newsroom in november
    !

maxnix likes this.
  6. Peter Harrar

Peter Harrar Senior Member

SPOILER ALERT:

Yes, the novel ends in front of the Garvey house, with Nora holding the baby in her arms, saying "look what I found." So they've pretty much exhausted available plot developments from the novel.

GentleSenator likes this.
  7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

No kidding!!
    That's good news, IMO!
    I would've been disappointed with that as an ending to a book. But, it makes a great 'intro' to a wealth of 'story'; to go where-ever they wanna.... I'm psyched!

8. Peter Harrar

Peter Harrar Senior Member

Actually , it was a nice conclusion to the book, ending on a grace note of hopefulness. I would have been fine with it as an end to The Leftovers had it not been renewed. But clearly in a second season, they'll have to go somewhere else.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  9. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I'm with you on Carrie Coon
    She the best thing about this show.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

read an interview that said they haven't even signed contracts for season 2.

11. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

That can't be so. The show was renewed for a second season about a month ago.

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yes it was, but they haven't sat down and done any preliminary work nor contract since then.

13. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

If they have to end it there, I'm okay with it. What a wild surreal ride that was.

14. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

They won't. It has been renewed for another season.

15. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I'm going to watch the whole thing again starting with episode 9.

16. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Well then, that's not really "the whole thing". :D

I ended up really liking the show, mostly due to it's strong cast, & offbeat storyline. Looking forward to season 2.

audiomixer likes this.
  17. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I meant 9, 1,2,3 etc. but I'm sure you knew that.

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

So what do people think is up with the healer who died and the baby?

Was the healer a shaman? If not, what wish did the sheriff ask for that was "granted"?

And is there something special about the baby, who is now going to (presumably) be in their (Nora, etc.)'s lives?

The fact that the government was so keen to get the healer suggests there's something going on beyond just a con...

19. stereoptic

AFTEC used the premise that "Holy" Wayne was guilty of statutory rape, so they attacked the complex.

At first I thought that Kevin Garvey wished that Wayne would cure himself, but then I think that his wish was to get his family back together.

I don't think that there is anything special about the baby. At least, I hope the plot doesn't swing in that direction. That would leave too much magic and mystery in the plot, and unanswered questions.

I am wondering if Laurie was considering an abortion. The message from the doctor was that there is "a small window of opportunity" and she needed to visit that day. I also wonder if it was Kevin's baby.

20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I would've really 'flipped-my-lid' if, instead of the baby, they found a little 'rubber' baby on the doorstep!
    I assume Paddy knew about it, since she was so close to Laurie.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I think it was pretty clear that Laurie WAS probably going to get an abortion. And pretty clear that it WAS Kevin's baby, since she was taken aback when the doctor asked her that question specifically. (Although, obviously, she could be lying).

I agree with you that I hope the baby is not "special." And I agree that he probably asked to get his family back. Which, it appears, he might.

Statutory rape might be a convenient premise, but it seems there's something more afoot there.

22. stereoptic

Yes, I think that her reaction was quite affirmative. Anyway, another father would make the series a bit soap opera-ish. I've watched each episode twice, some three times. The first time around I missed the dialog by the doctor during phone call from.

Interesting that Christine left the baby in a bathroom stall just around the same time Holy Wayne died in one.

Seems like Wayne's body was shutting down very slowly right down to his last breath.

The bust was covered in episode 2 I think. I don't remember what initiated the attack by AFTEC, but they were using the rape charge as the reason.
    I'll have to watch that one again. In any event, why did they have to shoot and kill as I don't think that anyone drew fire? The guy who threatened Christine was over the edge. So yes, they must have some other suspicions about Holy Wayne.

23. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Can't wait to find out what's up with that issue of National Geographic and I really liked that dog, I was kind of hoping the dog would become a staple of the household there.
    Great show!

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Huh? It was something of a hit (by HBO standards), right? So why are they dumping half the cast?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.