Original Pressings Always Better Than Reissues: Myth? Nostalgia? Buyer's Bias?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

When you see that word 'always' used in a thread title.....RUN!

Even with pizza. It almost always tastes good. Not always.

2. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

There is no rule.

It makes no sense to say that originals can't be bettered in sound quality. Of course they can, and they are bettered, frequently... for our pleasure :D

The times are great, wonderful music with amazing sound quality coming out every week, new and old sounds, specially on vinyl with reissues and new releases that can make any music fan and audiophile go crazy in no time! It's fun and I'm loving it! :) :) Let's have more of it!

Scott Wheeler and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  3. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

It's fun to track down originals and I prefer them but I've been really impressed with some of the reissues, too.

I just found a near mint RL The Band s/t over the weekend for a buck ... That lets me share my Vg+ copy with my friend in Tulsa. A double win!

The recent Experience Hendrix releases are cut by Bernie G and sound fantastic for mostly $20 or so ...

It's actually a pretty great time to be into vinyl whatever your preferences are, if you ask me

4. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

It's not a dogma, but I would say is 80 % true. Things have been changing recently, with some notable reissues

5. It certainly is a great time to be listening to both original & reissued LPs. Lately I've been getting into 45rpm singles from back-in-the-day. Gotta love those hot, punchy mixes.

6. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

I get the OP.

And, there (or here, at least) seems to be a bias toward original pressings or "targets", etc.

"Always" is subjective, but there's a bit of "GET OFF MY LAWN" that is prevalent.

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  7. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

I almost exclusively buy originals, unless its a reissue of something quite rare that goes for silly $$. I will take the time to find originals because I believe they sound & look better ( graphics) & I enjoy the hunt.
    I also started buying old 45s, which I never used to collect seriously, because I recently acquired a jukebox. That's all about fun. No furrowed brow, squinty eyed audiophile judging there.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    zebop and mooseman like this.
  8. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

And also the word "Better"

9. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I don't think you can make a blanket statement about it.
    I have heard a lot of remasters that I thought sucked.
    I have also heard remasters that sounded better than the original vinyl release.
    And those old MFSL and Nautilus half speed master albums always blew the original release out of the water, never heard one I liked less. Even the CBS half speed masters were damn good.

10. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

Not sure if this is considered a "re-issue", but whatever Wally T. did to the Beach Boys "Made In USA" on vinyl - Man that kicks butt!

11. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I have a yellow label 70's or 80's Capital pressing of June Christy's Something Cool. Would it most likely be better than the original? It's got the stereo cover.

12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Myth? No.

Nostalgia? No.

Buyer's bias? No.

Absurd generalization that no actual person ever said? Yes.

13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

And here is vivid proof that we all experience things differently as I feel exactly the opposite. Viva la difference!

hi_watt likes this.
  14. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident Thread Starter

As with the new Beatles Mono vinyl, I have noticed a lot of original bias, nostalgia, etc. clouding judgment. Some are hellbent on making sure their coveted originals stay on top. The Beatles Mono Vinyl was made 100% correctly. If that can't at least equal the originals then the box set was an excercize of futility. I don't know what some are trying to prove by pushing so hard that the originals are untopable.

Basically the standpoint is if they sound identical to the originals the reissues then great. If they sound different than the originals than the originals are better. The originals aren't the be all end all of best sounding Beatles. That would be too convenient. Plus there's the overrating certain aspects of the originals deemed crucial (lol) while underrating the strengths of reissues.

There is nostalgia and bias tied to originals. Some grew up with them (see US Beatles albums) and that was the sound they grew up loving. Anything different isn't going to feel the same.

15. A couple of years ago, maybe a few more, I decided that I have enough of a collection to start seeking out Original (country of origin) pressings and also buying some Reissues. It's been a wonderful journey and I've been very happy with the pressings I have obtained. In my case I have found that while there are differences between the two, I can't say that one is better than the other in the majority of cases.....they are just different and I enjoy them equally.

Additionally, what I have experienced may not mirror yours, but that's simply due to our own hearing acuity, the different systems we each own and a particular sound signature we like.

Just my 2ยข's.

16. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The Monkees' "Head," mastered by Chris Bellman and reissued by Rhino, certainly received a big sonic upgrade over the hissy Colgems LP.

17. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

I guess I haven't been noticing this original superiority too much. There have been a couple folks in that other thread that have have said "its not close" in their preference of the originals over the reissues, but they appear to be in the minority.

It seems that the general consensus is that there is a slight difference, and ones preference can vary song to song. The most important question is are you happy with the reissues? I know I am and someone's opinion that was made with a set of a NM originals that I can't come close to affording, on a system where the interconnects cost more than my entire system, while interesting, are just not relevant to my situation.

Halloween_Jack and EdogawaRampo like this.
  18. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

It all depends on the specific record. Some originals are better, some reissues.

But for the money I prefer a good quality reissue (Music Matters, ORG, Music on Vinyl, Acoustic Sounds) over an absurdly priced original.

For me it's about the music.

I don't get people who pay too much (sometimes hundreds of dollars) for an original record in marginal shape. More dollars than sense.

But hey, to each his own.

I was at a record sale last weekend where a guy at one of the tables had lots of way overly-priced original vinyl from the 60s and 70s.

In the hour I was there I don't think he made a single sale. And he wasn't smiling.

19. GRC

GRC Senior Member

In my situation there is no hard and fast rule - depends on the specific recording. I do cherish the original presses I have but given funds and availability - lack of good music shops (and getting burned once and a while) - I will purchase a re-issue without any remorse. It's my ears and my stereo system - and my goal is to enjoy music listening. I have some re-issues that are disappointing - but I enjoy most of my re-issues and I use this forum to assist in my research - original or re-issue.

kman likes this.
  20. One thing that reissues are great for is gift-giving. My sisters & nephews have been swimming in reissued LPs every time they have a birthday or at Xmas time. They love it!

24voltsdc and c-eling like this.
  21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Original Pressings Always Better Than Reissues: Myth? Nostalgia? Buyer's Bias? - Often all 3 but it varies from title to title. If you are talking reissues by audiophile labels I would say at least 60% better an original. With major label releases one in five may better an original but they are often far cheaper. More titles appear to be getting AAA treatment these days.

mikemoon likes this.
  22. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

You have a valid point. What people forget is back in the day the objective was to master so it sounded good in the home. Nowadays the opportunity for reproduction equipment is better than the past . The Beatles Mono 2014 Vinyl masters is a prefect example.

mikemoon likes this.
  23. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hopefully we'll see a lot more!

24. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I used to say original pressings all the way. Then, I heard the original Miles Davis cd's released in America...oy vey. I bought the box set that came out a few years back and for the first time I found remasters that I really liked, and decided that sometimes the reissues are the way to go. I've found that most remasters from the late 90's and early 2000's aren't so great, because that was the time of the loudness war and introducing remixed versions of classic albums to the world. More recently, audiophile nature in remastering has become more prominent and more serious consideration has gone into making the new remastered cd's sound just like the vinyls. Still, most of the time I prefer the original pressings, just because they usually aren't messed with and are straight vinyl copies. Sometimes, remasters are the best bet, but it really does depend. At least now, I'm a little more appreciative and open to remasters.

25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

All three. It's not as if you can't find fine examples of audio production from the past, it's that it's not all that predictable. Some fine folks worked on the Loving Spoonful's Greatest Hits. Folks with major-league reputations in the realm of audio recording. To say the sound of the original Kama-Sutra pressings suck is inadequate to the task at hand. On the other hand, my Grey label Capitol issues of Sinatra are consistently great, go figure.

zebop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.