New Grado "e Series" Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I have never heard the RS1, just the RS1i... I don't find them fatiguing at all.

I wonder if the "i-series (actually e-series) cusp models" will earn a nickname... I'll suggest the Old McDonald Grado (e?i?e?i?...oh!!)... :)

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

I have the RS-1i and agree they are not fatiguing at all.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

At least they seem to have FINALLY dumped the famous Grate-o rough foam pads! But they did keep the same Grado "good looks."

4. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

Is there any picture of the new "e" drivers somewhere? I mean how easy is it to see the red color on the drivers?

The dealers are getting rid of their old stock here and I picked up a PS1000 that's from April for $1299 CAD tax included and all (~1184 USD).
    I figured the new "e" series probably has subtle differences which wouldn't make much difference to me so I thought I would save about $700.

I don't think I have a stealth "e" because I don't think I see any red. Too bad.

Still these sound fantastic. I am listening to the recent West Side Story from San Francisco Symphony just now. It sounds glorious through my Chord Hugo.

I've had Grados off and on for a long time. I've had the PS500 for a couple of years.
    I don't understand when people say Grados are genre specific. I think they sound great with everything I listen to (Rock, Jazz, Classical, Indian Classical etc etc).

5. gregorya

[​IMG]

6. gregorya

By the way, congratulations on the new PS1000... that's a great price! :)

7. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

Hmmm...The back of my PS1000 don't seem to have an red drivers like I've seen in some of the pictures.
    But when I look on the inside, I swear I see hints of red around the rim. Could be just my wishful thinking off course.:)
    I compared them to my PS500, the drivers look similar on the outside but on the inside I don't see any hint of red on the PS500 around the driver.
    In this review http://headfonics.com/2014/07/the-ps1000e-by-grado/2/ it says
    "There is nothing on the outside that will tell you that you have the new e series apart from the label itself. It is the same also for the interior of the PS1000e except for a small hint of red glitter on the rim of the driver. Grado have in fact alluded to this red marking already as being the tell tale sign of an e series headphone and driver."

So I am confused if I did luck out with a stealth "e" or not. I won't be disappointed if I don't but it would still be cool to know.
    Also the driver from the outside does definitely look bigger on the PS1000 than the PS500 (but maybe that was always the case).

8. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

I think I misunderstood that line in the review I mentioned in my previous post.
    Mine must have been just before they started shipping the stealth "e". Oh well.

9. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I recently bought a pair of the 80e's not knowing much about them or their predecessors. Seem OK to me but I found the pads uncomfortable and replaced them with Sennheiser HD414 yellow pads. A bit more comfortable. The thing I like about the 80e's is that they are not too bassy; something I hate in a headphone.

10. gregorya

If you email Grado and give them the serial number, they should be able to confirm which version you have... either way, I bet it's a great headphone. ;)

11. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

Ha, I already did that an hour ago. This is what they said:

"all "e" series headphone have drivers that are red in color.
    The new drivers are a little more efficient, have a little more bandwidth and speed.
    We did not touch the voicing at all
    "

Yes, it is a great headphone. After they are broken in I will have to compare them with my LCD3s.

12. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

The price for these e-series cans are quite a bit higher where I live compared to the previous line. The new RS1e is NZD$200 more than what I paid for the RS1i last year... which makes me glad I bought mine last year. :D

13. LeeS

The prices are the same in the U.S. as before. They do sound very good on my first listen last week at Audio Alternative.

14. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

The local "surcharge" rears its ugly head again. :laugh:

15. LeeS

I guess so! :)

16. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

I've been contemplating upgrading from my original SR-60 pair (purchased circa 1994, which suddenly disintegrated on my flight home New Year's weekend) to either the 80e or 125e. Is the 125 worth the extra $$$?

17. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

Yes, the 125 over the 80 is worth it. The 225 is worth it over the 125 if you have a decent source.

Andrew likes this.
  18. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Just purchased the Grado SR60e from Amazon the other day and received tonight. Listening right now and I'm very pleased.

I had been in the market for new headphones under $200-$300 bucks that I could drive easily on my MacBook. I'm pretty much done with closed back and over ear so that narrowed the field a bit.

These perfectly fit the bill for what I was looking for and I'm extraordinarily happy with their open and spacious sound field. I know a knock on them is that they are lacking in the low end but I find them to be accurate thus far. Looking at my avatar you can pretty much guess what I listen to a lot of the time.

I had a pair of SR80i's some years ago and seem to remember them not being as comfortable (maybe they changed the pads on the e-series). Also, the cord seems more proportional now than in the past. Without looking at the specs, I would say somewhere between 5-6 feet, and heavier than I remember.

In short, I've only had them on my dome for about 1 hour now but I'm giddy.

19. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

I've had the PS1000e for a little over a week. Spent 24 hrs breaking them in before the first listen. So far, I like them. Very light and comfortable, signature Grado sound but more bass, good mids and high end. I started with the 225e but quickly decided I wanted to keep the signature but have more bass and more detail. More like what I was used to with my Audeze LCD2F and NAD HP50 for that matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.