Beatles mono VINYL box set (Part #13)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

It did indeed say that on the jacket but everything is in true stereo on the disc, go figure.

googlymoogly likes this.
  2. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Thanks. I wasn't really asking about Japanese versions. The ones I saw on sale are the EU versions, so I was just expressing my surprise that these are on sale here in singles whereas they aren't on sale online, at least the not the EU ones and not all.

3. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Which ones?

4. irender

irender Forum Resident

I clean every side.

5. Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  6. mistercleen

mistercleen Forum Resident

I'm getting this too and as far as I can tell it does stop before the music.

7. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

That was the best recorded bass by the Beatles up tothat time. It was recorded at Olympic. It absolutely kills the bass sound that was recorded at Abbey Road Studios.
    The first time that I really noticed it was when it was remixed on the Yellow Sub Songtrack. It sounded great. Never was there a equally well recorded bass on a Beatle record until Abbey Road. I think the bass on the White Album is very mixed and not even close to BYARM bass. Plus, they used the Bass VI a lot on the WA and they did help at all being so anemic.

8. mistercleen

mistercleen Forum Resident

I've ended up gravitating to the Magic Eraser approach http://www.high-endaudio.com/Magic.html and then following up with a soft brush as a precaution in case any Magic debris remains. Seems to work.

Gavinyl and Wally Swift like this.
  9. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Because they were transferred at a higher resolution than was possible on 86 equipment.

10. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

My garden variety ones work. Gold tips are all they have.

fantgolf likes this.
  11. G E

G E Senior Member

Anybody know if Mick Jagger picked up the box set, and if so, what was the number on his WA?

12. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

Some great questions...

Are the new Mono vinyls going to be “true” mono records or records with two grooves which contain identical signal for both – left and right – channels? :confused:

> Sean Magee: “Only one groove containing a mono signal.

Wally Swift likes this.
  13. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

:laugh: That's funny, cause as far as I know, stereo records also contain only one groove...

"Two grooves"? That was an Atlantic Records stereo experiment from the early '50s, some of you may know what I mean.

Ash76 and Ben Sinise like this.
  14. crispi

To clarify, not that the discussion starts again — this is from another of Magee's answers: "Mono playback head yes…Mono cutter no. I have a modified SX74 head which I know better than my own family, borrowing a head would, for me, been a handicap.

15. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

It is likely that this question is a translation, or from someone who doesn't speak English as their primary language, trying to get the response you've just posted. It just sure sounded strange reading it the first time.

16. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

They played it safely, and wisely. If they said the new ones are better than the originals, imagine the outcry from collectors! Saying they cut to make 2014 originals is wise. We know differently; obviously they did not limit dynamics, and they balanced the sound nicely.

17. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Nice little tribute from Sean here:

> Sean Magee: “I wouldn’t have been able to do what Harry Moss did if I had used the the same gear. He was a genius.

18. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

I respect his decision to stick with the tools he knows best.:thumbsup:

19. I have said many times here before; I for one love the 2012 Stereo Vinyl set. Those albums sound really good. It's just too bad the issue with the American pressings clouded the great sound for so many here.

20. Artyom Yakovlev

Artyom Yakovlev Active Member

It was my question, and only now do I understand that I made a mistake. Yes, in my language the same word is used for a groove and for signals contained in a groove (left or right signal). So, I was going to ask Sean if the grooves on the new LPs were stereo grooves containing identical signals for left and right channels. I guess he answered my question when he said that he was using a stereo cutting head.

Your discussion about the word "vinyls" was fun to read, actually. As a non-native speaker, I've been using this word continuously. Now I'm going to change my mind. :winkgrin:

forthlin, Ash76, Da Commish and 3 others like this.
  21. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Listening to my Optimal set right now. Just using using my own ears. Do not care what others think/say. Not my first rodeo. Mazzy, hope Seattle is treating you alright.

Mazzy likes this.
  22. attym

attym Forum Resident

Bought 8 from soundstage. On initial inspection, 4 of them had some form of scratch or scuffs... They offered to send me new copies. Just noticed decent sized scratches on MMT... They're going to hate me.

23. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I noticed that a bit with Pepper on first spin. And I cleaned it too. But on second spin it was fine. Static I presume. I also adjusted VTA before the second spin.

24. crispi

But did you actually listen to them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.