Why are people COMPLAINING about the new U2 album!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bcaulf, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I wish the Smiths were still together and pushing free albums into my iTunes.

Smiths22 likes this.
  2. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Oh, God, it's become the "answer an album cover with another album cover" game!

3. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

when one group has free access to your hard drive and another doesn't, nobody is going to stand behind the former

Shawn and Smiths22 like this.
  4. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

ha ha :edthumbs: i agree but again Morrissey is a pain in the buttocks nowadays....same with U2 & Bono...but still both tolerable for me.

5. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

That's okay. We can pick it up the argument again when the physical versions of "Songs Of Innocence" comes out in

[​IMG]

Gaslight and Spacement Monitor like this.
  6. Spacement Monitor

Spacement Monitor Forum Resident

I might have trouble waiting that long...
    [​IMG]

7. Smiths22

BTW no physical singles this time! thanks God! were a pain to import them!

8. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Damn, you're good!

9. Spacement Monitor

Just old, I've learned a lot since I was a
    [​IMG]

bferr1 and Gaslight like this.
  10. Smiths22

This thread is On The Edge Of WAR!

[​IMG]

11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I pride myself in holding out until the LP is released

[​IMG]

Spacement Monitor likes this.
  12. Smiths22

13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

[​IMG]
    (Not in response to the post above this one, just to the thread's last few pages in general.)

The thread will reopen after a brief timeout for station identification. Stand by.

Hawkman likes this.
  14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Alright, we've wandered way, way off-topic and had our fun. Let's get back to the OP's questions (quoted here) and carry on.
    :agree:

Smiths22 likes this.
  15. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Good you stepped in, Matt, 'cause this thread was making me feel

[​IMG]
    Sorry, couldn't resist!!! :hide:

Gaslight and Spacement Monitor like this.
  16. Spacement Monitor

So back on track, is there any existing band or musician that could have given away a free album on iTunes in the same way, and not been excoriated?

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

[​IMG]

Spacement Monitor likes this.
  18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

It seems like many of the people on http://www.whoisu2.com would have been cool with a free album from Drake or L'il Wayne.

19. Smiths22

Maybe Pink Floyd - The Endless River...and i'm being serious just relaxing instrumental music. Who could get annoyed because of that?

20. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Or, if given the opportunity, would any artist actually turn down the offer from Apple?

21. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been viewing this on and off and I must say I'm impressed with how this thread has been going. Wasn't expecting it to go this long, it's kind of taken a life of it's own. I've seen some funny posts on this thread too. Keep it up! :)

One thing I've noticed a lot of people saying was how this might start a trend, but will that really happy? I wouldn't say so, because I'm not sure how many artists are willing to give their albums out for free like that. Also, if this thing U2 did is really seen as bad as it is then I don't think many artists would want to follow in their footsteps...

That whoisu2 link is funny...I thought most people would know them, even young Nicki Minaj lovers. Lol one post says "why has this **** downloaded on here. who even is u2?" and it shows Iris playing in the picture they posted :D

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  22. Smiths22

Apple and U2 are experimenting right now, if this doesn't work they are gonna try something different next time (specially Apple) that has already been stated they are planning to save the music industry!

and to be sincere if 5million persons have already listened to this album the experiment was a success IMO. Apple won, U2 won, fans won and ordinary users won a new kind of spam and invasion of privacy.

bcaulf likes this.
  23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

One more time, they didn't exactly give their album away for free: they got paid for it by Apple, who in turn gave it away for free for a limited time. If you don't download it for free before the physical release, you will then have to buy it from iTunes, and, of course, the physical release on CD and LP will not be free. From one perspective, all U2 really did here was control the leak of their own album, just as Radiohead did with their "name your own price" download of In Rainbows, which was followed by a deluxe physical release for super-fans, then by a conventional CD release. The super-fans will buy the conventional releases anyway, but, as the bump in sales of U2's back catalog has already shown, giving away a free sample is often a good way to persuade new customers to buy more of your product.

dkmonroe and serge like this.
  24. Smiths22

Do you guys think Universal Music is pissed off because all this? I mean they weren't invited to the party...This was mostly between U2 and Apple Music...sorry (not yet) Apple corporation. :p

I assume they received a part of the loot, wonder if that will compensate the next physical sales lose.

25. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Okay. I stopped following the thread for a while so I must have missed that if it had been brought up already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.