Square Pegs, Round Holes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Prog_Wizard, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

2. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

And completely not what the thread is about. Geddy Lee's vocals are an integral part of Rush.

Murph, eddiel, davers and 3 others like this.
  3. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

a Cat Stevens blues album with rick rubin. i wouldnt be surprised if it featured plenty of ukulele on it.

4. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

Dave Navarro when he was with RHCP. He just wasn't funky enough.

ggergm, Sean and SwollenGoat like this.
  5. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Adrian Belew when he was touring with The Talking Heads. I like them both, just not together.

ggergm likes this.
  6. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Forum Resident

Gary Cherone in Van Halen was a one off experiment gone wrong.
    Tom Morello is an amazing guitarist, why he is paired up with someone like Springsteen is beyond me. That's just asking for failure.

davers, Sean and Coricama like this.
  7. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Joe Satriani with Sammy Hagar - Chickenfoot! Just never has sounded or seemed right? Maybe it's just Joe in a band with any singer that just doesn't sound right to me?

8. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

What he said

blackdograilroad likes this.
  9. zen

zen Senior Member

I dig the foot.

Then why not keep it personal?

10. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

Sonny Boy and the Yardbirds.

11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Mick Taylor in the Stones.

No, really.

12. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I think it depends. He was great on Sticky Finger and Exile, and absolutely elevated the music (in addition to coming up with riff's for which he wasn't credited), However, he sounded a bit out of place on Goat's Head Soup and It's Only Rock 'n' Roll. There's a song on It's Only Rock 'n' Roll where Taylor does a whammy bar dives that sounds so not right on a Stones record. :D

13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I didn't say he wasn't good, but I do think he didn't really fit. I was intentionally trying to think of a misfit who didn't stink up the place, and that's all I got. :laugh:

14. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Generally speaking, I do too. Have the records, even the live one. I've seen em here and in Cabo. Just think Satch is the square peg. Vic Johnson's a far better fit, IMO.

15. zen

zen Senior Member

Cool. ...For me, I like the razzle dazzle/fireworks with that band. No offense to Vic.

16. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

He didn't look like a Stone, but since Brussels Affair came out, I wish he had stayed with them. He gave them a hard edge live that I really enjoy.

Dave Hoos, old school and John Fell like this.
  17. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

It's the "hero of the working man and the downtrodden" and "I'm a populist" aesthetic that pulls those two together. I think Morello is an inventive guitarist in an era where it's hard to squeeze much new out of six strings. So, I give him credit for that. And, I don't blame Bruce at all for reaching for something a bit different on stage.

18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Steve Vai in Whitesnake

Sean likes this.
  19. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Not even "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"???

20. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I keep seeing people saying this on the forum and it just makes no sense to me, apart from a personal preference and nostalgia for pre-1990s Tom Petty. To go see Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers live or listen to the amazing Live Anthology (where Ferrone's work appears interspersed with Stan Lynch's brilliant drumming) and say you hear something “wrong” just boggles my mind. It's also a weird criticism of Tom's own taste and enthusiasm — to think that he'd settle for anything less than great or exactly what he wants in a drummer seems a dire mismeasure of TP's integrity and genius.

SwollenGoat likes this.
  21. sami

sami Mono still rules

His contribution is pretty minor in that, don't you think.

Dave Hoos and John Fell like this.
  22. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

LOL at Tom Morello and awful guitar player used in the same sentence.
    I DO agree however that he doesnt belong playing with Bruce. Just 2 different animals. But poor guitarists he is not

davers and SwollenGoat like this.
  23. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

John Cowan has incredible vocal range as a blue-eyed soul singer, but I always thought he clashed with the Newgrass Revival. At first I thought Michael McDonald ruined the Doobie Brothers, but he kinda grew on me.

24. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

What can I say? Do I have to like Ferrone because Petty likes him?
    He's the wrong drummer, mate...

25. Prog_Wizard

Prog_Wizard Forum Resident Thread Starter

I guess it's a matter of opinion. I don't rate him. His gimmicky playing never did anything for me, and when he plays straight it has a tendency to sound like generic 80s rock. Awful tone, effects laden. But it's not really about that. It's that he's a terrible fit for Bruce & co. It's like having Kerry King sit in with Lynyrd Skynyrd or something.

Picca likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.