IFi Nano (and Micro)-GAME CHANGERS

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Sep 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think this is what happened to a lot of DSD projects in the last 10 years. As far as I'm concerned, DSD was D.O.A.

2. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. I tend to move my iDSD around on an almost daily basis. Car, work, home. So I'm plugging/unplugging the RCAs (and powering down/up the iDSD and the other end) quite a bit. I'm thinking that's why I'm seeing this so much.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

4. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

5. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

Nano works fine with my Sennheiser 580 headphones and lately I've moved it into my audio system. It seems to be behaving so far.
    I'm not using the built in battery, but, just running it off of USB power. I guess I worry about totally draining the battery and shortening its lifespan.

Great sounding unit, IMHO. Love the PCM played back at DSD X 4.

6. ServingTheMusic

That will definitely put a bit of strain in the connectors and some where and tear, but hey, they are cheap to replace!

7. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

Thanks guys, this thread has been educational to say the least. My appreciation of DSD has grown, like a Rolling Stone(s), loving those releases. Awesome that Dac's are so quickly getting cheaper and better. Sounds like the Ifi Micro is a winner in it's price range. The only thing I don't get is this extreme up sampling in DSD, especially from PCM, sound like a novelty. But not knocking the DSD ability of the Micro from what you guys are saying. I'm enjoying DSD playback thru the Hugo. Will have to have a listen with the Micro, when the opportunity arises.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Who's using it?

9. ServingTheMusic

That was MY question!!!

10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I wanna hear more about how the Nano and Micro stand up when used in a high end system with loudspeakers.

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I am working on that.

misterdecibel likes this.
  12. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

Using JRiver software and the Nano, I've been comparing some recordings done from vinyl to my Korg MR1000 in DSD and WAV (24bit/96khz)... wav played back via PCM and also output as DSD256. I can hear more nuances with the native DSD playback... enough to where I would agree that DSD is a better format based on sound quality.

13. ServingTheMusic

Been doing just that...system is Thiel CS2.4 speakers, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated.

Let's just say that in the case of the Micro, I am no rush to go back to my $4000 Simaudio Neo380D or my $2200 Bryston BDA-1 DAC just yet.

LeeS and misterdecibel like this.
  14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I'm curious to hear 16/44 with the SPDIF input on the Micro as well.

misterdecibel likes this.
  15. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

@LeeS
    @ServingTheMusic

Can you guys describe the differences and your preferences between the iUSB and a good SPDIF/USB Converter such as the iLink or Musical Fidelity V-Link 192? I have the V-Link 192 and just wondering if I'm going to get any better results with the iUSB or to save some money and stick with the V-Link 192 that I have already.

Before when I was using a Rega DAC, the USB port on the Rega wouldn't process anything over 96/24 (and wasn't asynchronous) so it was a no-brainer to use the V-Link 192 not only for jitter reduction, but also to be able to process 192/24, but now I have aquired a McIntosh D100 and it can process 192/24 via Coaxial and 192/32 via USB so it's not so cut and dry at this point. I guess I could say that since the USB does go to 192/32 it may be best to start using USB for the extra headroom from this point forward.

Thanks for any feedback!

16. ServingTheMusic

Hi Beowulf:

Well, the iUSB the battery power supply, and it creates isolation between the DAC and the source.

I always say that the most direct path is the best. If you can avoid an SPDIF convertor, I would. That being said, the V-Link 192
    is one of the better ones I have heard, bar none.

If it were me I would opt fo the McIntosh and eliminate as many boxes and cables as possilbe.

ElvisCaprice, beowulf and LeeS like this.
  17. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Agreed. Also, I have a V Link 192. However the iLink seems just as good.

beowulf likes this.
  18. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

LeeS likes this.
  19. ServingTheMusic

You bet. BTW, I am sure that Mcintosh piece great. Their recent product roll outs have
    been very impressive.

20. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

This thread is bringing up a lot of issues that are top of mind to me. The landscape of DACs is changing rapidly and the choices are plentiful. The discussion on the VLink is also illuminating. It seems that the new generation of DACs might make USB-spdif converters obsolete.

I am planning to upgrade my Rega DAC to something like a PS Audio Perfect Wave II, W4S DSD SE, Lampizator Amber (when available) or Chord Hugo and was planning to spend $1.5 to $2K. If a $500 Micro is competitive with the Bryston DAC it really makes you wonder how well their next version will compete with DACs currently priced in the $2 to $4K range.

I don’t think DACs will evolve at the same progression as computers but the technology does seem to be moving fast. I am looking forward to more comments on the Micro.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  21. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

I'd consider the Sony too, probably the best bang for the buck for a digital source right now.

I'd also try the Micro because of the comments here, if you can save $1500 that's not insignificant, at least for me...

I've heard some good comments on the Lampis, would like to hear one someday.

22. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The new Sony server sounds excellent based on my limited listening so far.

23. ServingTheMusic

But ergonomically a disaster. Closed system=DOA for me.

24. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

It's not that bad. Not perfect though for sure.

You don't need to have only one digital source, I think the Sony is great for music you have and a DAC like the Nano would be great for playing random stuff on the internet, which is usually compressed anyway. So, $2k for the Sony, $.2k for the Nano... :D

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Listening now to the iDSD Micro on the Sony SACD player with the SPDIF input. Very nice sound so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.