I'm thinking of buying a Funk FxR II arm.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by David Ellis, Aug 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just had to do an update. Last night I played my Speakers Corner issue of La Boheme ('72, Von Karajan, Freni, Pavarotti etc) and with the FxR the sound stage was absolutely amazing. I just can't get over it. Depth and width totally limitless, placement absolutely perfect. Talk about being there, talk about holographic. I just can't praise this arm enough.:agree::righton:and there isn't an emoticon that displays how I feel.

2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

That's a pretty quick turnaround David, what's the build quality like? Do you have any pictures of the arm? I'm still not entirely sure what they retain from the Rega and what they replace, I guess I better get selling some records and send my RB-300 off.

Martin

3. David Ellis

Sorry Martin, mine is still on order. Brady's have let me keep theirs until mine arrives (hopefully thi w/e). The build quality seems fine i.e. it doesn't look like it's another arm modified. The only slightly under par part is the arm retainer which is flexible but I've quickly got used to it. However if there is a better arm sonically I'd really like to hear it.
    BTW, I asked Brady's about part ex but Steve recommended I sell on ebay. So I looked and you'd be amazed what RB300s are fetching.

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I thought that was a really fast delivery David, I guess I'd better check the RB-300 prices then, I actually have two, although only one is perfect, the other needs a little TLC. If I get a Funk Firm I can mount it on my Orbe, my Technoarm on my Gyro SE and my RB-600 on my SL-1210 so everything gets an arm upgrade.:cool:

David Ellis likes this.
  5. David Ellis

Serious question. Why do you have 3 TTs? And I reckon the FxR would be unbelievable on the Orbe.

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I've got more than three, but the simple answer is the Orbe has a £1600 MC cart whilst the Gyro has an OM 10 which is great for playing Reggae and Soul singles or anything in lesser condition, the Technics was an experiment to see how good it would sound with a better arm and it's also interesting to mount my other OM10 on it and do a head to head with the Gyro. The only other deck currently set up is a JVC which I bought because it is very pretty, I also have a boxed Ariston RD 90 with an Alphason tone arm which I used to use at work, a Goldring GL-99 which one day I will fully restore, a mint GL-75 to provide spares for the GL-99 and my old Roksan Xerxes that needs some TLC, all other decks are just passing through and are for sale once I sort them out, it's good to save old Duals, Pioneers, Sonys, etc., sort them out and give them a new lease of life. I really need to get a deck set up for Mono and when I finally get the GL-99 sorted it will be for 78s.

My deck wish list would include Avid, SME, Garrard 301/401, Brinkmann, Thorens TD-124 and Pink Triangle, I'd make room for any of those and a few others as well if they came along at a price I could afford.

I nearly forgot, I wouldn't mind a Rega RP10, they do sound good, even though I'm not a big fan of their decks, also a Rega 25 at the right price would be nice, I always thought that was a very nice deck.

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Just checked the RB-300 prices, they have crept up to around £200, interesting, especially as I have the tungsten weights on mine, they seem to be £50 on their own, I guess that any Rega 3s I pick up in future are going to be parted out. I think it still makes sense to use my own arm for the Funk Firm upgrade though.

8. David Ellis

My RB 300 has the Incognito rewire and the Origin Live structural mods so I'm going to be looking fo around £300.
    BTW how do you sell records, on the web or through a shop?

9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

These days more face to face or to people I've known for years, the right records aren't hard to sell, I have a ton of stuff to list on eBay, but just can't seem to bother doing it anymore, I'm also spending a lot of my time working on putting music out these days rather than selling it. I guess that explains why I've got no money.:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.