Beatles mono VINYL box set (Part #13)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slane

slane Forum Resident

The EP CD Box is one of my favourite mono releases too...

BUT...I don't think they are flat transfers. To my ears, they are slightly NR'd and EQ'd, just like the Red & Blue Albums done around the same time. In fact, the R&B Albums use clones of 7 EP Box tracks (4 mono, 3 stereo).

2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

it didn't last long; now back to £288 :D

3. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully you have listened to some of these and found that Sean did a first-class job.

4. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

Within You, Without You is one of the highlights of the set for me. I always felt like this track was so important to the overall vibe of Pepper and I never skipped it. The sound on the new set is mind-blowing. If you didn't like this track before put it on and crank it up. The sound is marvelous!

Gavinyl and chacha like this.
  5. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

I've always wondered why they do that they drop the price maybe for an hour then put it
    up again.

6. Artyom Yakovlev

Artyom Yakovlev Active Member

Not yet! I got my box on Friday at a local store but it's a massive box and I need to clean up some space for it before opening and placing it onto a shelf.
    I've been following the thread since part 4-5, so I'm aware of the perfect job the guys did with these remasters, and my expectations are high!

7. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Stop it. It is simply not true!

Da Commish likes this.
  8. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

My Tone Arm lifts before the Inner Groove so I can't hear what they did :( This is one of the few times when I wished it was not automatic !!

MattyRedSox likes this.
  9. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

More spam. More trolling. No way is this even logically possible. Do your research or stop trolling.

10. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I'm sure someone else has already chimed in on this one, but you're not crazy. One of the Beatles leaned back during the long fade-out, and it made the piano bench (or chair or stool) creak. Clearly audible on all the pressings of Pepper I've heard, unless the record's surface noise intrudes. These ultra-quiet reissues help to make such things even more prominent, and we're all paying close attention to our lovely new records, so I'm sure many folks will hear the creak for the first time. It is indeed very cool!

Gavinyl likes this.
  11. bward

bward Senior Member

And after the creak, there's a "shhhh!"
    At least that's what I've always heard.

12. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

Totally agree with you about different EQ used. The bass and mid-range on the vinyl definitely seem goosed to me. If you take the mono CDs and apply a bit of EQ you can start getting similar results.

13. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

My old automatic had a screw with which you could set the automatic arm lift to trigger further inside towards the label. That way the inner groove will play fine. See if yours has anything like that. Usually hidden underneath the platter.

bluemooze and ParloFax like this.
  14. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Thanks to both of you. Just checked Amazon UK and it states they cannot ship the stereo vinyl box to the US. USD equiv. would have been around $450. Amazon Germany has no shipping restrictions on it for the US, but USD equiv. is about $465. Just read feedback on the Amazon Canada website for the box, and as noted, getting the EU pressings is iffy.

Sadly, looks like I will take a pass. Thanks again for everyone's insight and guidance.

15. Gardo

I've listened to the entire set now. The mono mix of "Hey Bulldog" sounds weak to me compared to the stereo mix. The EQ on "From Me To You" on the Mono Masters lp is shriller than I would like. Otherwise, the set sounds wonderful to my ears, with some real standouts on every album. My box set had three flaws in total. One was the MMT booklet, which was hanging loose when I opened the lp and promptly separated seconds later. Another was "Piggies" on the WA, which had a few audible ticks from a clearly visibly squiggly scratch on the surface. Annoying but not quite a dealbreaker. The last flaw was a slight but visible warp on side 1 of PPM--but with no audible consequences. Otherwise, things were just about perfect throughout, a remarkable achievement for a set of 14 lps. Maybe it's because I have a Rega TT, but I had no trouble with too-tight spindle holes. Oh, and the records were all centered, too--a great relief, as off-centered pressings drive me bats.

I love this set and recommend it enthusiastically.

Oh, and my WA number is 9009339.

Gavinyl, stevenalejandro and Ash76 like this.
  16. Gardo

Cool--I'll have to listen again to hear this.

17. mistercleen

mistercleen Forum Resident

Maybe try discogs.com and look for a German or UK seller with a sealed box. I find the sellers there to be much more reliable than on eBay. YMMV.

Gavinyl likes this.
  18. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

I feel just the opposite with Hey Bulldog. The vocals on the stereo mix end up being so inaudible and panned at times it's unlistenable to me.

19. fab4

fab4 Forum Resident

I've noticed today that the cover might be laminated, at least there is a coating on them and they are not just glossy cardboard. If you look at the inside of the gatefold cover of Beatles For Sale, on the right edge, there is clearly a coating applied on the cardboard.
    Despite this lamination or coating doesn't look exactly as the originals, knowing that these re-issues got that extra coating on their covers, make this albums set a great tritube to the work done in 1960's.

Hawklord, Ash76 and nikh33 like this.
  20. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

It will most likely by more durable. I have some UK originals that have some peeling going on.

MattyRedSox likes this.
  21. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

I always heard it as "Never goosey Annie on the way"!! :hide:

hazard, letmerollit, Ash76 and 4 others like this.
  22. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

Which Beatle? (Sounds like George to me but I only have the inferior CDs so it's impossible to tell). ;)

Gavinyl, Cracklebarrel and Keith V like this.
  23. I sure hear this too! I am always amazed by this mark of "audio innocence" from The Beatles in 1967. I mean they put so much work into the thing, then in the most dramatic of endings someone "blows it" with an unwanted noise... No one should have shush it in fact; it would have been much less offending at the loud volume us fans play this...

Gavinyl likes this.
  24. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I totally agree! The first side was great, don't get me wrong, but once that song came on I was like, "Where have you been my whole life?" When you listen to an album a thousand times and still get chills, that tells you something.

Ash76 and EdogawaRampo like this.
  25. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Has anyone noticed a few ticks at the beginning of Good Morning,Good Morning? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.