Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Bryce, crispi, GreatTone and 7 others like this.
  2. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I agree with you. I have both because I subscribe but if you have the AP you don't need the MM.

3. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

My favorite blue note albums that not will be released by Musicmatters I prefer to buy them on japanese vinyl, sound is pretty good (but far from the MM sound) and the quality of the covers is excellent.
    One of the albums I would like to have is Paul Chambers sextet - Whims of Chambers, I watched it on ebay hoping maximum 30$... but no, it fetched 52$ ????
    Why does people buy this @ 52$ when you could get the AP 45rpm for 45$ (-10% when buying on the right time) ????
    Well I'm still hoping that Musicmatters will release this on 33rpm !

4. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

This release (Take ten) is from ORG Music. Not ORG Recordings. Not sure if they have something to do with each other though..

5. Josquin des Prez

Yup, you are right. I stand corrected...again.

6. hishou

hishou Forum Resident

It would be a good idea if I found it tiring to have the drums so far away from the horns (which I do) with that extreme hard-panning. And in the words of Rudy Van Gelder himself, from http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue46/blue_note.htm

"There was no artistic rush to get into stereo from the people I worked for… Even towards the very end when we were recording two-track we weren't listening in stereo. We were recording in two-track and we were listening in mono because there was only one speaker in Hackensack in the control room and only one speaker in the studio… And all the judgments, Alfred (Lion)'s judgments, as to mix and balance, and mine too and the musicians too and how they sounded in relationship to each other, and all that during the creative part of those recordings was done in mono. It couldn't be any other way. Towards the end we were running two-track sessions but no one had ever listened to them. So there was no particular… attempt at creating a stereo field at that time."

A
    lso, I was wondering, I have the XRCD version of Soul Station on iTunes and it seems that the drums are on the right and the horns on the left. However, on the MM, it seems that it is the opposite? Who inverted the channels? Or is my system wired the wrong way around? (which would be really embarrassing but it is too late for me to go check... :p)

7. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

I've got a couple MM related questions I'd like to ask. Question #1: could anyone recommend a site where I can purchase the 33 of Kenny Burrell "Midnight Blue"? It's the lone LP I need to complete the 33 collection. I know it's awaiting repress/back ordered and I've tried my usual places like Soundstage Direct, Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds and a couple others already. I imagine there are some (many) other sources I'm unaware of that may still have a copy on their shelves, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

This leads me to question #2: I've recently purchased 5 titles from Music Direct because I have been unable to make contact with Music Matters directly. I know from reading here that the customer service, etc., is very highly regarded when ordering from Music Matters, and I'm sure that there's a good explanation for what I'm experiencing (or not as the case may be...), but I cannot make contact with them. I've called multiple times during different times of day and left a couple messages over the past few weeks and cannot get a return call or anything. Has anyone else had a similar experience? If so, any advice? I'd really like to order directly from them, but seem unable to do so.

Finally, for what it's worth - I had to send my copy of Dexter Gordon's "Go" back to be exchanged due to non fill. It contained the most ear-opening example I have ever heard. I guess I've been completely lucky with other releases (mostly from other labels) as I wasn't ever really sure what it sounded like, but unfortunately this record contained a great illustration. Another reason why moving forward it'd like to order from MM directly (and in light of post #918 upthread) I had purchased this from Music Direct who overextended themselves to accommodate me in returning it, I don't want to make it a habit of infringing on their generosity if the pressing quality of this series continues to be spotty.

8. Nelson

Nelson Forum Resident

9. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

where I can purchase the 33 of Kenny Burrell "Midnight Blue"? It's the lone LP I need to complete the 33 collection.

Did you try Musicmatters ?
    Keep trying making contact, Lori told me last friday that its very crazy these days with MM and that Ron is on a vacation...

10. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Have you tried ordering online via the MM website? Adding an item to the cart and checking out via paypal is fairly painless.

11. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Have you checked your spam filter?

12. Josquin des Prez

FWIW: I have had issues in the past where email to MM went unanswered for over a week, until I complained. Then Ron handled my inquiries directly. However, most of the time Lori is pretty good about responding.

13. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Listened to Midnight Blue for the first time tonight. I only have 20 or so of the MM's but I think this one goes to the top of the heap sonically. Just beautiful.

TimArruda and mikeyt like this.
  14. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I remember reading Alfred Lion saying it was in his top 5 of all BN dates (One of the reasons it sounds great, I figure, is because there's no piano on it!).

15. Josquin des Prez

What does lack of a piano have to do with it. There are plenty of recordings with piano that sound fantastic. :confused:

16. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

RVG's piano sound is not exactly desirable.

struttincool and mikeyt like this.
  17. asindc

asindc Jazzy Cyclist

I actually find the Midnight Blue has too much hiss on side one for my liking, but it is great music.

18. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

The sessions with organ (e.g. Larry Young) and/or guitar subbing for piano always sound better, at least to me.

19. Josquin des Prez

Not everyone dislikes RVG's piano sound. I have plenty of piano albums on Blue Note I just love. I was just listening to some of my Horace Parlan Trio and Quintet records the other night. They sound great.

20. antielectrons

antielectrons Well-Known Member

Anything without Art Blakey bashing away sounds good to me :)

LavidDange likes this.
  21. Josquin des Prez

LOL

I have to be in a certain mood to like playing Jazz Messengers, although I do call myself a fan.

22. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Agreed. The organ dates sound great (again, no piano). RVG, in my opinion and others, never got a great piano sound.

JDP, the performances are great, no doubt, it's just the piano sound is very muffled, almost annoying on BN recordings. I'll probably pick up Undercurrent because there's some killer playing on it, but I'm not expecting superior fidelity like Midnight Blue or Unity on account that you have a piano led date.

SteelyTom likes this.
  23. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

IMO, Undercurrent was not RVG's finest hour.

24. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

have gone through 3 copies of Burrell/Midnight Blue MM33 with no luck. Snap crack POP! The rest of the series have been pretty good QC. This one is eluding me...sigh....

25. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Are you cleaning these records before you return them??

This must kill these record shops--returning the record 3 times?? Knock on wood, I have never had a problem purchasing a brand new record. If more than a couple of crackles come up, wash them.

David Ellis, mistercleen and Manelus like this.