I love this, very silly: BOWIE, BRIAN ENO AND TONY VISCONTI RECORD 'WARSZAWA'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

ledsox likes this.
  2. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

You've got a pretty thin skin for a New Yorker. Serious question...do you find the Sopranos offensive too?

goodiesguy and richard a like this.
  3. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Kind of, yeah. Though I did watch the show, there are aspects of it that bug the crap out of me.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

What have you guys done to my thread? Geez..

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

6. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Was just about to call in the big guns for a gentle reminder that this is a music forum - but then I'm thinkin' 'Give 'em enough rope'....

richard a and ginchopolis like this.
  7. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

If you find that offensive , how do you interface with the real world? I could get on the 4 or the D train, get off at Fordham road , walk around a bit and find guys talking like that even in 2014.

ParloFax likes this.
  8. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I mean this...you seem to get off on appearing morally superior to other people so you go out of your way to point out any failings you perceive in others, without being prompted to do so, in an attempt not only to reinforce your own your own self-established position of superiority, albeit based merely on your personal perception of morality, but also to divert any potential recognition from others of your own shortcomings.

Or you're just a bit of a dick, it could go either way really.

9. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Since we're all having fun and being silly, I'll share one of my favorites

10. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Sorry for my part in derailing the thread. The video is hilarious and I hope he does more because his Bowie voice is spot on.

Would now be a bad time to ask "What's the matter? Why do you look so sad?"

:hide:

goodiesguy and vince like this.
  11. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

As a card carrying Italian, I find none of this offensive at all. Actually, that initial post had me laughing out loud, as did the Albini clip.

katstep, goodiesguy, drasil and 2 others like this.
  12. OldShiftyEyes

OldShiftyEyes Forum Resident

Those Bowie videos had me laughing so much my toddler thought I was going crazy. I love music geek comedy. Wait, that's not offensive, is it?

vince likes this.
  13. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

it's 2014 people are still making jokes that people who get obscure humor about David Bowie are equivalent to someone who bites the heads off of chickens huh

Dudley Morris likes this.
  14. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

With all due respect: Some of your posts on this subject may have been provocative just to be provocative, as other people here have implied. I don't know. But this is the one comment of yours that carries some rhetorical weight with me. I don't care for political correctness in the use of language, as it paints with way too broad a brush, wiping out humor and ignoring the user's intent. However, I always have to pause and reflect when a P.C. advocate adopts this rhetorical approach, the one you used, which I highlighted above: basically, asking us to ask ourselves, "How would I react if that joke, that figure of speech, or whatever, relied on similar stereotypes about African Americans, or Jewish people?" Honestly, I don't think many users here would engage in the same kind of linguistic humor if you substituted "African Americans" or "Jews" for "Italians". So on that point, I think your implication is right; there may well be a double standard, and that's, of course, unfair. I think some of the resistance you're getting here is just an expression of how annoying many people find PC thought to be, that's all. Your argument is a serious one, and it merits a serious discussion. But -- and this is a HUGE but -- this is a music forum. :whistle:

15. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Eno is the ultimate Charlatan. He epitomizes the premise of being at the right place at the right time. Hard to count how
    many careers he derailed.

I love the fact he proclaims he uses an anti intellectual approach yet his descriptions of his "productions" are the ultimate
    in pseudo intellectual psycho babble.

EwaWoowa likes this.
  16. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

17. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

this was precisely, and absolutely spot-on, my point. I did find that content offensive and the response here, predictably, was that I should get over it because it was just meant in humor. as you accurately pointed out, the same people who made those comments would have been uniquely deficient in their political incorrectness had a non-white group been the target of the stereotyping. instead they found the ethnicity ridiculed part of the safe club and felt comfortable laughing. that's pretty embarrassing but not at all atypical. and yes, it is a music forum, and for that reason I didn't push this thing as far as I could have, but I realized very quickly that when people are resorting to arguments along the lines of, "you're just being a jerk if you find this offensive," it's a safe bet they apply their moral outrage conveniently rather than honestly.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  18. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Whatta, now youse gotta a problem witha tha Melanie Safka?

19. Ay yi yi, why you mention the Melanie? She no good, she sing the silly songs. Here, why you no go listen to that Mr Bowie? He work with that nice Antonio Visconti, a good Italian boy who do more than you think, si?

ginchopolis likes this.
  20. onanboy

onanboy Forum Resident

I find MotO neither a troll nor overly sensitive. What he stated was a legitimate observation. IMO

21. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Possiamo essere 'Heroes' per un solo giorno.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  22. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Silly? My skates no gotta no key! Why she gotta make-a me feel bad?

23. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Oy.

24. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

I love that the second Bowie clip begins with a copy of the Good Neighbors opening. And, what is that stuff oozing out of Aladin Sane anyway? Always looked like mercury to me.

25. This was no more offensive than if "Bowie" had used a stereotypical turn of language from, say, a character from the "Shaft" movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.