Rowland S Howard - RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aswyth, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

I did order it from overseas. :) I just did not know it is released earlier somewhere else.

soundfanz likes this.
  2. matty j

matty j Forum Resident

3. bobfrombob

bobfrombob Forum Resident

RIP Rowland :cry:

4. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

5. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

I've got the black version on Fat Possum. It sounds really good to me and seems quite a nice pressing too. The only trouble is that mine looks almost like a VG+ used copy as it's got a few surface marks on it, some of which are audible. Probably just unlucky and it's not bad enough that I can be bothered to return it overseas!

6. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

I have the Australian red vinyl version, and I think it is terrific.
    Had to walk all over town for a week to find the bloody thing, but it was worth it. There are more copies turning up in town these days, so I suspect that more than the initial 750 as advertised were pressed, and a second batch was held back for later release. Mine has an OBI type strip outside the shrink wrap, but the newer copies I have seen do not.

Any Rowland S. Howard fans with deep pockets might be interested in this...
    http://liberation.com.au/liberation-music-announce-release-rowland-s-howard-anthology/
    http://redeye.com.au/rowlandshoward_preorder.asp

[​IMG]

I'm afraid I might have to settle for the CD version of that one.

humpf likes this.
  7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Pop Crimes reissue was selling better than The Beatles monos in the shops I visited on the weekend.

8. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

9. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

thanks for the news , nice stuff
    hope will be easy to find in Europe cause its a real drag these days to find in local shops any Aussie imports

10. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

great! I got the red vinyl with obi! but pretty expensive overseas, well see how sound pressed in pallas germany etc... audiophile bla bla...

I dont understand the 1st 750 have obi, but new red exist? or between the 750 the first comes with obi and laters dont?

the black USA fastpossum (or something like that label name) it was licenced from Liberation Australia, so I go for the pure australian liberation...

ouch! yes that box looks great but expensive... is an anthology.

I want that LIBERATION OZ reissue a Teenage Snuff Film with the same treatment that new Pop Crimes, pallas bla bla... I go to write liberation asking for!!! ;)

11. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

While I knew of The Birthday Party, I was unaware of Rowland's solo albums. I've just been listening to them and I'm really enjoying them. I ordered Pop Crimes on vinyl. Thanks for the heads up.

12. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I was just going to post that track. Sad news.

L.

imarcq likes this.
  13. D Schnozzman

I don't know what the deal is with the 750. Just saying what I've seen. My copy's OBI states that it is a limited edition, and labels it as the 1st pressing. I think the 750 number came from the press release, as it's not written on the album anywhere.
    The newer copies I've seen in stores do not have the OBI, and I'm just assuming that they couldn't have done a second pressing so quickly, so I'm speculating that there were more than 750 pressed, but the first edition of 750 records had the OBI.

+1

14. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

Me 3.

I have Teenage Snuff Film on vinyl already, and it does sound excellent.
    But I do want another copy as mine has a few clicks and pops throughout.

As for Pop Crimes, I purchased the red vinyl version with the OBI strip and agree that it's a very nice pressing.

15. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Teenage Snuff Film very expensive for now... :(

16. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

Yes. Lets hope for a reissue like Pop Crimes.

17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Every band Simon Bonney was in was called Crime and the City Solution. He had a Sydney and a Melbourne version with completely different lineups before he relocated to the UK.

18. D Schnozzman

Stopped in at the local big box store this morning (JB Hi Fi) and there were at least half a dozen of the non-OBI Liberation pressings of Pop Crimes, which I'd say tends to support my hypothesis above.

I note there is also a reissue of Shotgun Wedding by Rowland S. Howard and Lydia Lunch on the 1972 label. Comments about this label on its Discogs page are not encouraging, however.

19. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

A re-issue of the first These Immortal Souls would be nice - price is through the roof on this. I was lucky enough to snag a copy - one of my fav vinyl treasures.

20. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Vinyl reissue of the classic underated album Shot Gun Wedding from Lydia Lunch and Rowland S Howard from 1991.

awesome album with Lydiá's snarly vocals, nice tight drums and Rowland's edgy guitar licks. Thanks you 1972 / Cherry red records for releasing. Quality is pretty good as well.

well worth it :laughup:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

21. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

anyone have the recent box? sounds good? Im thinking if buy it or not, is not cheap... so...

22. I've been dying to get a copy of "Teenage Snuff Film" on vinyl. It's just so damn expensive, but I listen to this CD more than pretty much any album I own so I think I'm gonna bite the bullet. The price difference between the 2001 and 2011 releases are pretty significant.

Anyone know what the mastering / pressing differences are (aside from the 2011 being pressed on clear vinyl)?

I'm not a collector. I only care about the highest quality sound. This is one album where I'd pay more for the original pressing if the mastering is better, but I can't find anything online about the differences. You guys know?

23. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Teenage Snuff Film was released on both black and clear vinyl in 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.