How much can weather effect LP play back?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SpinningInfinity, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident Thread Starter

so I live in southern California and we have been getting hammered with a heat wave...almost hurricane like weather yesterday with lighteningn windn and heavy rain (and 95-105 degree heat on top of it)

but holy cow I am having so much trouble playing LPs the last few days....I don't know if it's static...but like I am having to clean and clean records from tiny pieces of lint and dust (mostly new records) some of the Beatles mono LPs, Weezer Blue Album Mofi, and then the new Robert Plant record (all are NEW records by the way...first plays that were hand cleaned before playing)

I am really trying to figure out if there's just too much static sucking dust onto my records...and ultimately my stylus....

this sucks and it's the first time I've ever dealt with this....today is just like I can't even get through 2 songs without having to clean lint out of my stylus or cleaning the records again and again

any ideas, opinions, insights would be very helpful!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  2. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

In the winter static is a problem for me the air is so dry. I counter by using a humidifier. But for sure weather can present some challenges. It's man versus nature and sometimes mother nature is just a force too tough to battle and I go with CDs.

SpinningInfinity likes this.
  3. SpinningInfinity

thank you Norman....been cleaning and cleaning the records and stylus every time I start to hear "fuzz" collecting and it's for sure helped...there must be a ton of static right now...and the records are pulling lint and dust from the air.

this was 5 blocks from my house yesterday....boiling hot day and suddenly we had a huge amount of rain, wind, and lightening...these palm trees were hit. I was in my backyard when this stuck and let me tell you...it was loud and scary!! (not my photos)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  4. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

We've been having extremely dry weather where I live also - I lifted an LP off the turntable yesterday and there was a huge "CRRRAACK POP" when I did. My antistatic brush didn't seem to help much.

5. SpinningInfinity

yeah I had those a few days back....my daughter was in the room and the CRRRRACKPOP made a sound and she goes "what was that?" and to be honest I wasn't sure...because the record was off the spindle and already in my hands!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.