Beatles mono VINYL box set (Part #14)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

According to this Wall Street Journal report, about 2,300 people in the US bought the mono box set since its release last week. It says more than 2,000 copies of each of the following mono albums have also sold: Sgt. Pepper, White Album, Revolver and Rubber Soul.

Are those good numbers for vinyl these days? I think so. Doing the math, that's 32,000 mono albums sold in a week just from the box sets, and another 8,000-plus from the individual sales of those 4 albums, so at least 40,000 mono albums in a week.

Consider that Abbey Road, which was the top selling vinyl album in the US for 3 years running took an entire year to sell 41,000 copies in 2011, 35,000 copies in 2010, and 34,800 in 2009. So for the Beatles to move 40,000 mono copies in one week on vinyl in 2014 seems pretty damn good.

2. Scott02720

Scott02720 Well-Known Member

I think the inclusion of the German versions is not only historically accurate, but appropriate for inclusion and also fun to listen to.

Plus, one of the two songs is entirely a different recording, as they were unable to separate the vocals from the musical tracks. I forget which of the two it is, but it is mentioned somewhere in the book. The other one is simply an overdubbing of the German vocals on top of the original music tracks.

Anyway...I don't particularly "like" those versions, but I do think it is cool in the context of Beatles history.

762rob and Da Commish like this.
  3. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Dismal sales figures. Rule of thumb, double the US sales for worldwide figures gives ca 5K. If they really made 40,000 box sets expect some discounting soon.

groovelocked likes this.
  4. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

Could you guys imagine if the $46 Amazon.ca preorders were filled? That would have been the deal of the century!!

Ash76 and morinix like this.
  5. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Soitenly!

6. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

I doubt it. I would think they expect to get sales throughout the year. And Christmas is coming.

For the Beatles to move more than 40,000 vinyl copies in a week of music that is between 4o and 50 years old is pretty impressive, and close to the one-week sales record Jack White just set of 41,000 vinyl for his latest album.

24voltsdc likes this.
  7. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

If he was joking, shouldn't he then have used a :D instead of a :). Now I'm :confused:.

8. zen

zen Senior Member

My wife told me a large box (from my Mom) came in the mail today.
    I told her she could open the box and see what it is (w/ fingers crossed) and minutes later, I got the good news.
    So cool. It was back in the 60's when my Mom's folks (living in the U.K.) send us the mono LP's. I think me Mum is being nostalgic.

Time to buy a new record needle. lol

9. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

My mom bought me all of my first Beatle albums over a few years on Christmas, still have em...

nitsuj, morinix and zen like this.
  10. 28IF

28IF Forum Resident

I can't believe Sean would miss something so obvious!!! Have you tried the y cables??? :D

11. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Wasn't the US version released before the UK EP?

nikh33 likes this.
  12. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

For the Beatles to have the success they had with the 3 C.D. Anthology sets, which George Harrison called the bottom of the barrel, 40 years after their break-up, now THAT'S impressive.:tiphat:

13. hops

hops Forum Resident

A week ago, my box arrived from blowitouttahere.com and tonight I opened it. The enclosure and all inserts are intact in mint condition, including the booklet inside the "Magical Mystery Tour" cover. There's a fairly deep scratch in track 1 on side 2 of "With the Beatles," a light scratch across tracks 6 and 7 on side 2 of "Help!," and what appear to be a couple vinyl shavings from a spindle hole melted deep into track 2 on side 3 of "The Beatles." I do not plan on exchanging any of the records based on these minor defects. All the records appear flat so far but I've not yet placed them on on my turntable to check. My copy of "The Beatles" is numbered 9007111.

14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Well as it turns out, my copy of Hard Days Night is a little noisy.
    Anyone else get any clunkers?

15. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Not worried about those scratches sounding?

16. And jack white did that one week one LP

Ash76, e.s. and nitsuj like this.
  17. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I rarely rave about pricing, but these reissues will (hopefully) force the price down from the money-mongers out there. To have this quality in all aspects at this price is nothing short of a miracle. At HMV, they're going at $22 CAD. Most AAA records go for over $30-$40. Some regular ones go for over $45 CAD. Music on Vinyl are even selling some digital-sourced Opeth LP"s for over $50! To have these Beatles treasures, and pristinely pressed by Optimal, is truly Christmas three months early!

buckeye1010, melo85 and bluemooze like this.
  18. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

I was encouraged by the J.W. LP sales. The kids are alright.

But...he will be lucky to get a Wikipedia mention in 50 years, let alone cut a reissue LP.

In my opinion (and many others I suspect) no other band/musician(s) could achieve this 40 years after calling it quits. Timeless.

Vinyl_Blues, Ash76 and Mazzy like this.
  19. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

My Beatles For Sale has this problem also. I never thought it could be shavings from a spindle hole... It is on 2 spots on Side 2. One spot is almost white. I played the disc a few days ago and I don't notice any noise or clicks when the stylus hits those spots. I double checked the 'white' spot, watching it as it passed by the needle. No noise.

I think there may be another spot with a melted in shaving on one side of one of the later LPs, but I can't remember which one. All in all.. ugly defects (especially the white spot one), but no problem with the sound. I debated on sending mine back, but with no other problems in the box, I thought it foolish for a minor cosmetic blemish.

20. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

It's been 8 days and the new is still nowhere near being worn off. These records are amazing.

ek1psu, Ash76 and Headfone like this.
  21. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yeah, you're right, almost two decades since beginning his music career, Jack White is just a flash in the pan.

I love The Beatles, but the constant need to denigrate anything new on this forum completely baffles me.

22. hops

hops Forum Resident

I'm not yet, but after cleaning the records later this week and giving them a spin, I might be. Even then I think I'd rather just buy replacement copies from a local shop than try to exchange individual records with blowitouttahere. I'm still really impressed with the quality of the box set so far.

23. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

I was not necessarily implying Jack White would permanently fade into irrelevant obscurity, unless you think Wikipedia is obscure. Rather, I was stating the obvious: that JW (most likely) will not celebrate cracking the Top 200, 50 years from now (neither will a ton of other talented musicians/bands). I am not denigrating him or his work by conceptualizing these facts and riffing on them.

There are many "new" artists that are enjoyed, respected, and discussed in this forum (by me as well), but rarely are they discussed in a "Beatles" thread.

hi_watt likes this.
  24. SATLOS

SATLOS Forum Resident

Anybody else get an upside down book in their set?

If I open the book with "The Beatles in Mono" title facing me--like any sane person would assume--I end up looking at the last page of the book, upside down.

:wtf:

groovelocked, Dee Zee and Hawklord like this.
  25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The book is normal. Your missing the special edition lysergic acid is all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.