Hot Tuna

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by laughalot, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I'm gonna have to disagree here. Are you talking vinyl? Because I have that and I always thought it sounded pretty darn good. I don't have the CD.

2. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Listen to the loud 60 cycle hum at the intro to 'Watch The North Wind Rise'... and the horrific making of Jorma's vocals. Doesn't matter if it's vinyl or CD, this a crude-sonically/thrilling-musically recording.

3. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

I picked up an original US vinyl copy of America's Choice, still sealed and was very disappointed in the poor sound quality.

4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Did you follow the playback instructions on the album cover?:cool:

5. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

As in LOUD? You bet!

reb likes this.
  6. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I've been a longtime JA/Tuna/Jorma fan. On the acoustic Tuna and Jorma outings I learned that turning the volume up really brings the music to life.

LavidDange likes this.
  7. ofrex

ofrex Well-Known Member

For me their first album is their best. Next "Fist Pull Up" and "Yellow Fever".

8. LavidDange

LavidDange Forum Resident

Blame my age(34), or simply blame my lack of attention, since I love Jefferson Airplane, but I just discovered Hot Tuna this past year. Loving them. Been going through their albums, currently on Phosphorescent Rat, and the music has all been fantastic. Now I read that they went through a "metal" phase? Why is this band not more popular? Were they back in the day? They seem to have only an underground following.

For the record, my fav is their 1st album...so far.

9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

The next three studio albums after Rat (America's Choice, Yellow Fever, and Hoppkorv) are jokingly referred to as "the metal years" because Tuna became much more electric/hard rock oriented than what came before (folk/blues). You're in for a treat if you like hard rocking stuff with great jammin' guitar. They evolved into a power trio rocking out kind of like, gee I dunno, Cream, Robin Trower, stuff like that. I wouldn't call it "heavy metal" but it rocks! The electric live stuff on Double Dose takes to another level as well, although in the vinyl days the first LP side of that album is all acoustic, nice stuff. Then comes the "onslaught"!

I discovered them back in what I consider their peak (1976) and saw them live at The Tower Theater in '77 (Philadelphia area). It's a 3000 or so seater and was pretty full if I remember right, so I would say they were at the level of theater bands (as opposed to arenas or stadiums). I probably lost some of my hearing at that show. Jorma & Jack were peeling the paint off the ceiling with their volume.

Tuna were not well known amongst the general public back in the day, but those of us who were clued in were pretty passionate about them, at least in my experience. The live shows could be semi-religious experiences that only ended when the sun came up!

What do people think about their last album (Steady As She Goes, from 2011)? I haven't heard that one. I thought the previous album from 1990 (Pair a Dice Found) was dreadful. I used to be a Tuna maniac but over the last 20 or so years they kind of took a step backwards IMO, Jorma doesn't play enough leads and the band has suffered from guys like Barry Mitterhoff or Michael Falzarano deflecting from the greatness that used to be just Jack + Jorma (& a drummer for the electric stuff). Not meaning to put anybody down, just stating my opinion....I used to see Tuna live all the time but I stopped going about 10 years ago, they kind of lost me.

goombay, reb and LavidDange like this.
  10. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I like the first "Hot Tuna", Electric Hot Tuna", "Burgers", "Yellow Fever", "Phosphorescent Rat", Double Dose. The first Hot Tuna is the best in my opinion.

11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

You've pretty much guessed what it sounds like...Way too much of Mitterhoff and not enough of Jorma. And too much of an easygoing backporch feel, even if Jorma's 70.

12. LavidDange

LavidDange Forum Resident

Awesome reply! And thanks, you've given more of a reason to keep exploring their music. What threw me off was when I looked them up on allmusic.com and saw that their album ratings steadily declined after Burgers. So I was surprised when I listened to Rat today and thought it was fantastic. Looking forward to hearing more. Wish I could have seen them live in their prime!

13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks, that is what I kind of expected I guess (why I didn't pick it up).

14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Since you like the early albums you probably would enjoy seeing them play their live set today. If they come around your area you should check them out. I'm not as into the folksy vibe as I once was I guess. And I used to see Jorma do solo acoustic shows mutliple times a years in the 80's (electric ones too), and seeing him lately, with Mitterhoff doing most of the soloing, kind of frustrates me, he's not in the same league as Jorma IMO (but then again who is? Jorma & Jack make for a pretty awesome pair of instrumentalists, especially back in the old daze).

LavidDange likes this.
  15. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

If I had to pick a favorite, it'd be The Phosphorescent Rat. It has a great balance of country blues, hard rock, and "Jorma psych/folk" originals. I love the "soda can tab" pop-art on the album jacket too:

[​IMG]

LavidDange likes this.
  16. psubliminal

psubliminal Forum Resident

I've been a fan since "Burgers" was released. I've got all the LPs and CDs, including that RCA "Yellow Fever" (I think it's French or something) and a promo only LP called "The Last Interview?". I, too, favor the Metal Years. I saw the band out of state (I live between Detroit and Ann Arbor) around the time of YF or Hoppkorv and they were one of the loudest bands I have ever seen in my life. Finally saw a version of the band in 1988 in Detriot; if they came to town during 1972-78 I must have missed them.

slipkid likes this.
  17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The French Import Yellow Fever cd came out in 2000. The original cd was released in 1990. I have both of them and the last interview lp disc too! When the Tuna catalog was remastered in 1996, they did (5) titles leaving off Yellow Fever and Double Dose. The first Tuna LP I bought was Hoppkorv- still one of my faves- killer record- imo

slipkid likes this.
  18. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Started seeing Hot Tuna in 1976 (Capitol Theater, Passaic, NJ)... and have seen them or Jorma more than any other band/artist. I couldn't even tell you how many times I have seen Tuna/Jorma live - it is that many!!!

I was at one Capitol Theater show (either 76 or 77) where they played for more than 4+ hours straight - bordering on nearly 5 hours (after an opening band no less). It was hard to keep our eyes open for that one.

Lately, up until a few years ago, Tuna/Jorma has been playing a small hall in Mt. Tabor, NJ (The Tabernacle)- which holds only 300 people or so. What a thrill. I was at every one of those show - got there early, hung out to get a front row seat. One time even got to say a few words to Jorma (although Jack didn't seem to want to be bothered). Was able to talk at length to Barry (even though he isn't really, IMHO, a crucial element to Hot Tuna).

Unfortunately, the last two times I saw Jorma "solo" (since Barry Mitterhoff is always there), it lacked spirit or energy - it was somewhat boring (I hate to say it).

I have a soft spot for every Tuna album, even the newest album - but anything from the 1st LP, up until Double Dose are just killer. (I have to lump Quah in there as well - even though a Jorma solo LP - Tuna does many of those tunes live).

reb and slipkid like this.
  19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Talk about loud- I do mean loud. When Jorma went on his own playing acoustic sets on the bar circuit- those shows were great. Then he got bored I guess and put together that punk rock band Vital Parts. Now back to the first sentence Loud- Jorma playing electric in a bar with maybe 200 people there- now that's loud. Not the loudest I've seen though. That title goes to The John Entwistle Band- loud to the point of being obnoxiously sickening.

slipkid likes this.
  20. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I caught Jorma and Vital parts live as well. Strange shows..and if i remember correctly Jorma had orange hair. Around the same time got to catch SVT at a place called the Meadowbrook in Cedar Grove, NJ, the "punk" band Jack was part of around the same time.

slipkid likes this.
  21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Cool! I saw Jorma in his punk phase too - I think he had pink hair when I saw him. The Vital Parts & White Gland band days. Weird unexpected stuff from Jorma at the time. Think I saw him in a couple clubs in NJ but can't recall the names.

I saw SVT also - they played a small bar/club in Philly called Stars. Jack was wearing a striped referee shirt. I'll never forget seeing him walking around south Philly on South Street in that.

At the time me & a couple of my friends, big Tunaheads, were extremely disappointed at the breakup between Jorma & Jack & extremely perplexed that they both were playing kind of new wave-punkish stuff.

22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Yeah, Jorma was sporting pink hair iirc. He also had a wickedly tough brute of a roadie with him. Big afro American dude with a Mohawk, beard and muscles like a bull. Ask me how I know...o_O Made the mistake of yelling out hot phuckin Jorma sucks one too many times during a Vital Parts show. Oh, and SVT- knew of the band but never saw a show. I do have a 7" SVT single- can post a pic tomorrow. I thinks it'd probably relatively obscure/rare.

slipkid likes this.
  23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

From late 70's to early 90's that would be the same for me too - Jorma was playing Philly clubs (or nearby in NJ) quite often. Either solo acoustic, acoustic with friends, electric with his own bands, and also there was (finally) some Tuna shows after he reunited with Jack & got Tuna back together in '83. I have a ton of crazy concert memories & adventures from those shows. Passing J's around in the audience, handing them up to the stage, then getting them back again circulating through the audience....just giving Jorma unlit ones that he would stick behind his ear for later consumption....great youthful times.....I could go on & on.

I'm gonna tell you guys one really funny Tuna story. Apologies if I already relayed this in another thread. This would be in '83, when they got first back together & played electric with that Japanese drummer. Falzarano was in the band too on rhythm guitar. It was pretty hard rockin'/fast stuff.

For the show at the Brandywine Club in '83 (Chadd's Ford, PA) I decided to do something funny - take a can of tuna fish with me modified with the artwork logo from America's Choice and sneak it onto the stage, my goal being to have something crazy/funny happen with it, who knows how the guys in the band might react to it just showing up on stage.

That club was one of my favorite concert venues. You could get there early and grab a table right up front. There were no hassles as far as being able to bring a camera and get great photos (I used to take photos at concerts back then). So we got the first 5 or 6 seats at the table right in front of Jorma. Me, a couple friends, my camera, and a can of "Tuna" fish.

I decided to wait until just the "right" moment to put the can up on the stage. Wanted to sneak it up there in the dark so it was a surprise....all night though my friend Ed's wife Ceil kept bugging me to put the can up there but I was like "no, not yet....be patient!".

Finally the time was right - the lights were down and it was pretty dark. Jorma had walked away from the front of stage where we were located to adjust his amps in the back. His pedals were right in front of me, and unseen to anybody I leaned over and put that tuna can down on the stage right next to one of his guitar pedals.

Jorma came back up to the front of the stage and I could not have scripted it any better. I'm there with my camera at the ready, and before starting the next song he leaned down to adjust the pedal right next to the Hot Tuna can. As he leaned over he realized something was else was sitting there and got this look on his face like "WHAT THE EFF IS THAT?", then seemed to recognize it as a Tuna "artifact" and he literally swooped down and grabbed the can and without hesitation used it as a slide to start the intro of the next song - A Man for All Seasons (which we all knew as "Junkies On Angel Dust" for the lyrics).

We were all laughing our asses off and going crazy and after a couple bars of the song, while facing us, he actually threw the can over his shoulder towards the back of the stage without looking where it was going to end up, the band is rocking out and this tuna fish can is bouncing all over the place including hitting the drum riser! It came to rest on the stage in front of the drums and remained there for the duration of the show.

After the show ended I waited for the roadies to start breaking the gear down and I asked one of them, "hey could you grab that tunafish can back by the drums for me?". The guy looked at me like I was a complete nutcase, saw the can, went over and picked it up and handed it to me, without saying a single word, but shook his head as if to say "you people are CRAZY, now I've seen everything."

Here's a closeup photo of Jorma using the can for a slide. Look under his middle fingers and you can see the America's Choice Tuna emblem I put on there.

[​IMG]

As a postcript to that story, I actually still have that can. It sits on a shelf in my music room alongside some other concert memorabilia like when Jorma used my bottle of Heiniken for a slide (I have a bottle of Rolling Rock that Randy California ripped from my hands while I was still drinking it & used for a slide too, but that's a different story). I used to bring the can along to other Tuna shows & just wave it around and be silly. I stopped doing that though since the tuna inside pretty much putrified after a couple years and the can started bulging with botulism. As a precaution lest it burst, I have it enclosed in multiple plastic bags now. Back in the days of the gulf war a friend told me I could probably sell it to Saddam Hussein to be used for germ warfare. I guess I should get rid of it lest it burst and wipe out everybody on the eastern seaboard but it just seems wrong to unceremoniously dump it in the trash.

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I think we must've yelled out HOT PHUCKIN SHIIIT annoyingly often at every Jorma/Tuna show back in the day, although many people did that same thing in honor of the original band name at various times all night long. No "sucks" after it though. I take it that part was your reaction to the weird Jorma punk phase!

25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I used to have quite a few of their albums but some were lost or damaged along the way but I still have the first one and Jorma and Tom's Quah which I highly recommend. There's a reissue of the latter now so might be available to you.
    At a minimum, the first three are worth your time exploring. They each have their own flavor, vibe, whatever you want to call it.

p.s. I just saw Hot Tuna perform a couple of months ago and they still have it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.