Doug Trumbull Wants to Save the Movie Business

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Sep 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

For sure. If they can't make CGI items look like they're there, why make it that much more obvious?
    Amen! I'd rather read a book.

2. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

I'm not sure if this fits nto this conversation. Is it me or does the original Star Wars space ship scenes that were filmed with real models look way better than the digital manipulated scenes from the newer trilogy films? The old ones seemed to have more depth (floabt)

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I doubt it (not that I've watched the new trilogy). If there's one thing CGI can do well, it's rigid ships in space. You may not like the designs, but that's a different thing altogether.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

It's tough on acting. I think lower resolution adds a protective gauze that covers a more traditional acting approach. As resolution and frame rate increases it requires re-thinking the acting process, or it seems hammy and stagey (sorry for the tech talk - haha). I often notice this in video doc extra features that the film looks more fake.

5. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I guess what I'm really saying is acting needs to change. This might sound radical, but it did when films took over from stage is the primary medium. Watch a 1930s actor like Frederic March, then watch Bogart, then watch Marlon Brando, etc.
    IMHO

6. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

What are some recent films shot on 35mm or 16mm?

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

So you mean all those soap opera actors are actually not bad? (sorry I couldn't resist).

I agree, I noticed this in the Hobbit. The extra edge of clarity clearly showed some people over-acting, mainly extras.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  8. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

The Walking Dead is shot on 16mm. Not sure you'll find many feature films shot on that format, though. Maybe some indie short films or docs, but even that stuff is probably 99% digital now.

For 35mm, off the top of my head:
    • Terrence Malick films
    • Christopher Nolan films
    • Tarantino films
    • Star Wars Episode VII
    EDIT: I know Ken Burns used to shoot interviews for his docs in 16mm, not sure if that is still the case or not. I started watching The Roosevelts last night, and the talking head portions do look pretty film-like to me. Just speculating, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.