Jeff Lynne /ELO Live Hyde Park 2014 Complete Show Streaming BBC Radio 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LSP2003, Sep 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member Thread Starter

I was hoping that that was going to released as a bonus with the documentary. There never was a physical release.

2. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

The news story I quoted said that it was the first time Jeff had performed with Richard since 1986 - I was just noting that they had performed together in 2001.

3. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

About a year or so ago there was talk of a release of the Bungalow Palace tracks on DVD but it never happened.

Scott B

LSP2003 likes this.
  4. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member Thread Starter

I figured that it would come out, at least in England. That version of Stepping Out is great.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't know how long it'll last, but here's a YouTube version of the complete show available to U.S. viewers:

Seeing more of it now, I can say the show is even worse-directed than I originally. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy direction and camerawork, just horrible, cuts and angles that make absolutely no sense musically or visually. But Lynne is a fantastic performer, and the music is great. Loved the show.

Anonamemouse and O Don Piano like this.
  6. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Nonstop goosebumps! I MUST see him if he tours! Better start saving now I guess........!

7. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I don't see anything wrong with the direction. 100 times better than recent McCartney live DVDs, for example, that spend far too long focused on the audience.

8. Witney Devil

Witney Devil Well-Known Member

The thing is the BBC were also covering live the Invictus Games concert for one of their main television channels on Sunday night. I would imagine that took precdence.

The red button transmission of the Hyde Park festival was live from 2.00 pm in the afternoon. It is all pretty much raw footage. In the past when the BBC has done this for events such as Glastonbury they then re-edit it should they decide to show it on one of their 4 main TV channels. I would think the ELO show will get a proper edit and cut to a 1 hour length for transmission for one of their Friday night music "specials" on BBC 4. The audio was also a lot better on the BBC Radio 2 feed than from the red button transmission.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Call me crazy, but why not just hire a proper director who knows how to cut a show for live TV? America has had no problem with the Grammys, the Tonys, or the Oscars. I think the single worst thing the BBC director kept doing was to cut to huge wide shots, which do not work on television -- not even 16x9 HD TV. TV is a close up medium, and wide shots do not translate... especially when they hang on them for 20, 30, even 40 seconds at a clip. Just boring as hell. Missing most of the guitar and piano solos was almost unforgivable.

I guess I've worked in TV too long and am offended by sloppy work when I see it. There are brilliant shows where the director clearly understands the music, tells a miniature story with each song, shows the visuals that precisely parallel the music, and -- maybe most importantly -- pays close attention to the rhythm section. This BBC show was so all over the place, I'm convinced the director was listening to an entirely different show. Whoever directed it should be banished to doing Rutland Cable Access shows.

The recent Grammy Salute to the Beatles was damn near perfect... though admittedly, it was not a live show, but shown a few days after broadcast, and no doubt a lot of post was done. But decent live musical shows are possible, as shown by the Tony Awards and similar shows. Hell, while I hated the audio on the live Sound of Music show, the direction and camerawork were fine.

10. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I just watched this show and the more I saw, the more I came to the conclusion, that there are too many backing vocals and some sound so much like Lynne himself. And what Lynne strummed on his guitar sometimes makes no sense to me. That brought me to a weird idea.....
    I took out his 2012 remake album, loaded "Mr Blue sky", "Can't get it out of my head" and "Telephone Line" into my computer and.................they play absolutely IN SYNC !!! (Only the break in "Telephone line" varies a bit in length, but then it's in sync again)
    So draw your own conclusions.....

namretsam, Comet01 and Vidiot like this.
  11. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Lynne most likely did use his remakes album as a basis and probably a click track for the drummer. So that's why it's perfectly in sync. And that's been standard, normal procedure for the last 3 decades or so and is OK with me. But the sound and timbre of the band remained consistent throughout the concert, so, no- they didn't play entirely to tapes.

Galeans likes this.
  12. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

That video from London look and sound suprisingly great.
    Looks like also as there is a bigger (tour)plan behind it ......................so mayby hopefully we will see an announcement in the next weeks.

13. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Agreed. Although he hired a lot of people to stand and "sing" backgrounds onstage, the vocals sure sounded canned (especially the choir in Mr. Blue Sky).

I know that he can put on a great show. He is like the kid who has mastered riding a bike yet will not relinquish the training wheels for fear of a result that is less than perfect.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    Helmut likes this.
  14. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

havnt watched the concert. it might be awesome...but that setlist is horrible to me.
    almost none of my favorites.
    mission, el dorado overture,daybreaker,oecanbreakup/king of the universe, big wheels, fire on high.
    nothing from time. one song from discovery and its a dumb one.

15. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Even though it is 480, grabbed and saved about a week ago. Who knows, maybe something will come of this!

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

One of the UK papers said that Lynne rehearsed for a solid month before doing the live show. He hit enough bad vocal notes that I think at least his parts were live, but he had a few backup singers doing some of the high notes and harmonies (ala Jeff Foskett & Brian Wilson), but I think this can be forgiven.

17. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Hmmm.. I don't think so. Some exposure to the 1978 ELO Live At Wembley film would really show you what sloppy direction and camera work is!

18. FACE OF BOE

Eh? How do you tell a minature story or show visuals that precisely mirror the music? It's a live performance for heavens sake!

19. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

Ever heard of Broadway?

Vidiot likes this.
  20. FACE OF BOE

Yes and Broadway involves costumes and sets not something you get at live rock concerts. So the anology doesn't really fit.

21. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

There have been costumes in rock concerts even before Gene Vincent buckled on his leather jacket and "sets" since the '74 Dylan/Band tour had living room furniture and lamps on-stage. At least Lynne was an early adopter as there have been pre-records in concerts in ELO's world since '73.

She is anyway likes this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's a miniature story in that it shows how the instruments are involved with each other, who's carrying the melody, who's handling the harmony, which instruments have a solo, when the vocals come in, and so on. If all you show is wide shots and images of the audience, ignoring what the music is actually doing, you're not telling the story of what's happening during the concert. You're just presenting random images that have nothing really to do with the music.

Comet01 and She is anyway like this.
  23. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Probably because it wasn't on live TV. It was on the BBC's streaming service and will have picked up, compared to any of the BBC's TV channels, a relatively small audience, a large percentage of whom will have been watching on PCs and portable devices. It was never intended to be any more than a live visual stream of what was primarily a radio broadcast. The entire event was run under the auspices of Radio 2. As such, it would not have been worth the expense of anything more than very basic coverage.

The sound on the radio broadcast, as has been stated elsewhere, was massively better than the live video stream.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's never that expensive to just hire a director who knows what he or she is doing. I've seen live concert video at the Hollywood Bowl, cut by the guy at the Bowl, that looks 10 times better than this... and nobody is seeing it other than the audience in the seats. All it takes is talent and effort -- not tons more money. Stevie Wonder could've cut a better show.

She is anyway likes this.
  25. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

im finally watching it now. im not seeing the issue. im watching an uncut version i got at a torrent site. maybe its different from the one on youtube?
    i checked its the same...except the announcer intro at the neginning is different.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.