Beatles songs that are better in stereo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have to admit I adore Ringo's cymbal and Hi-Hat work!

2. "I got blisters on my fingers!"

3. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

No sacrilige. I agree.

Drifter likes this.
  4. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

When I first heard in stereo on a UK EMI two-box, as a 14-year old, I was wowed by the fidelity. I could actually hear the cymbals distinctly enough for the 'tango' section. Cool. Still remember that after forty years.

Agent57 likes this.
  5. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

I Am The Walrus on Love.

Was so glad when Giles & Co. fixed that from the old mediocre-stereo-to-duophonic mess.

6. KASHMIR

KASHMIR Forum Resident

Hey Bulldog !!!!

Listen to it in just the left channel then just the right channel.

Awesome as separate and individual channels as it is with both channels at the same time in stereo.

Larry Geller, Isejingu and Mal like this.
  7. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Beatles For Sale and everything from Revolver onwards.

ted321 likes this.
  8. nicolas0280

nicolas0280 Forum Resident

Your Mother Should Know, I can't stand the mono mix

Mickey2, Ulli, Keith V and 4 others like this.
  9. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

The 1999 YS Songtrack remix of "Only a Northern Song". I've always been a 'George Guy' and in particular a fan of his psychedelic and Indian forays. The stereo mixes open them all up very nicely. He packed a lot into those suckers!

10. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I like the For Sale record better in stereo.

11. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Everything except the songs from the Yellow Submarine and Help! films plus Strawberry Fields and Real Love from the Anthology DVDs, which sound better in 5.1.

12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The "Love" mash-up:

[​IMG]

13. Maciek

Maciek Well-Known Member

I have never been a fan of "She's leaving home", because it sounded so slow. Then I heard mono, and wow! What an amazing tune. But according to wiki, mono was sped up so his voice would sound younger? I thought they did it with "When I'm 64", wasn't aware of this one as well. Any thoughts on that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She's_Leaving_Home

Chris M likes this.
  14. blaubleiben

blaubleiben Well-Known Member

The whole lot of Please Please Me (but only because I grew up with the German version with less compressor and equalizing. Easy enough to get a mono mix with the mono button on the amp since it's only recorded two-track anyway)
    Help (just the song itself: the mono mix sounds terrible)
    I'm Only Sleeping
    Yellow Submarine (the song itself sounds dull in mono)
    Maybe Lucy In The Sky (can't get used to the flanger/leslie-effect in the chorus)
    Don't Pass Me By (I prefer Ringo to Micky Mouse)
    Some songs on MMT are nicer in stereo (again speaking for the German Apple/Hörzu)

Some others are undecided yet, still have to get used to the mono mixes since I grew up with stereo and only started listening to mono last year. But mono is gradually taking over...

hutlock and ted321 like this.
  15. slane

slane Forum Resident

A similar process was later used for 'Leave My Kitten Alone', except there it was the piano/tambourine track that got doubled. People keep referring to that one as 'fake-stereo', even though it's as stereo as those two WA tracks.

BTW, the vocals on 'Birthday' are actually manually double-tracked, whereas 'Ob-la-di' uses ADT.

16. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

And I Love Her, Things We Said Today
    all of Beatles For Sale
    I Need You, It's Only Love, You Like Me Too Much, I've Just Seen A Face (has to be the original '65 mix for me)
    parts of the 'White Album'

17. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I'm the opposite...I find the track much more powerful in mono and EC's solo more wailing (especially with the vibrato effect on it) than in the stereo.

18. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

This one always surprises me. The mono sounds so trippy and truly psychedelic, the stereo sounds...fine, but it's not the same.

19. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I like the stereo (original 1965 that is) Rubber Soul more than its mono counterpart. Lots of little things in stereo that I like hearing. Paul's piano on Drive My Car, George's high harmony part on The Word (yes folks, that's George, not Paul), the acoustic/sitar mix on Norwegian Wood... and lots more. Run For Your Life is rather anemic-sounding, but in mono the song sounds smothered. In fact, several songs on the mono Rubber Soul sound a bit muddy for some reason. Continuing to this day... particularly, Michelle and You Won't See Me sounding muddy on the newly released LPs. They don't on the stereo LP from 2009. Ron

20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Everything on Beatles for Sale, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Your Mother Should Know, Don't Pass Me By, Helter Skelter, Revolution 9.
    A ton of other stuff, but those for sure

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Fixing a Hole
    The background vocals on the last verse are more prominent and they are gorgeous. I dislike the mono because of that

22. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Me too.

23. Abbey Road

DrBeatle likes this.
  24. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Let It Be

spindly and DrBeatle like this.
  25. That too..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.