Advantages of Upgrading Technics SL1200 MKII to something vintage?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rkellner, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Well $130 is a screaming good deal. I paid just over $300 for my M3D, plus another $80 for a 5mm Herbie's mat.

Don't forget the Mike New Bearing.:D http://www.mikenewaudio.com/bearing.php

jeff

2. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Next time you're in Denmark please drop by and I'll demonstrate what a huge difference a Timestep PSU makes.

3. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

Again it would be nice if manufacturers like timestp could put out before and after comparisons so the difference could be heard... especially if its as you imply being a lot more than subtle.

Thanks for the offer though can't see myself in Denmark anytime soon (Im in New Zealand) :doh:

4. John76

John76 Forum Resident

Indeed! It would be nice if any of the many folks doing these mods would do the same. Unfortunately this is not the case and for me I remain skeptical. No offense to anyone but I think audiophiles are addicts always looking for their next fix and the Technics provides these in spades. There's no shortage of life altering improvements for these decks if you read enough of the various hi-fi forums out there.

Many of these mods are very time consuming to install and are difficult to reverse so doing before/after recordings are the only logical way of accessing whether or not the change was worthwhile. Unfortunately there seems to be such a groupthink regarding the efficacy of these upgrades, ie it's a no brainer that folks just go ahead and do them and spend little time reflecting in an honest way whether it was worth it.

Bolero likes this.
  5. John76

John76 Forum Resident

How would you do that? Do you have another deck setup with the stock power supply to compare with?

6. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Worth putting a RB250 on a 1200? I got one lying around , but then I'd lose VTA! And Id hate that., but would do it if it offers significant performance increase....

7. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Judging by some of the reactions I'm getting while answering questions regarding 1210 upgrades I'm almost affraid giving my honest answer to that question but here it goes: You will experience a big improvement! I did it so I should know. And also you should go for Timestep PSU (or other). This really moves things...

8. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

He could bring his. And while we're at it, you could drop by too:)

9. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Why would I be subtle if I believe the difference is huge? I also changed the counterweight on my RB 250 to a Michell. This was worth it but not a huge difference. A more SUBTLE one.

10. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I'm in the US but would be willing to swap needle drops. Different cartridges phono stages but from how you sound, your setup should swamp those differences. I'm sure we could find some music we have in common.

11. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I know I'm likely to be one of very few from Denmark on this forum. What I'm saying is that I'm just passing my first hand experience on. I wasn't really expecting anyone to drop by even if you would be very welcome! I don't have a converter so a needledrop isn't possible. Having said that I don't think it would be very useful in displaying the improvements of a PSU. I should imagine something like the tracking abilities of a cartridge would be better displayed using this method.

12. John76

John76 Forum Resident

A before/after needle drop should highlight any subtle or for sure significant difference you indicate a power supply would make. All you need is a computer with a sound card and an interconnect cable from the tape output of your amp to the mic input of the computer. I do this with a Mac, but have used a HP desktop in the past using free Audacity software. You should do such a thing next time you make a change to your turntable.

I just recently recorded a couple different cuts from my LP12 and Technics so that I could compare the two without having to plug and unplug and switch over records multiple times. It's really much easier to capture the sound, open both files in Audacity and play any part of the song on each file to analyze the difference. I can't think of an easier more relaxing way to do it.

Bolero likes this.
  13. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Errrr... There is one in the same 1200 with the T3 arm. If I could, I would have one for every 1200 I have. :hide:

14. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

AT150MLX or the Ortofon Black are great choices in MMs, regardless of turntable and arm. Of course they have to match said arm. I can safely say that the AT150MLX is the best MM cart for the Technics, imo. And it is better than the 440mla. More dynamic and transparent.

Danmar likes this.
  15. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

If the OP is interested in moving coils my denon 301mk2 is also a great match for the stock technics arm, quite a nice and refined sound that is nicely detailed. Recommended.

Hopefully it gels well with the new tonearm im planning on getting for my 1200 (the wand) which is similar in mass to the stock arm.

motorcitydave likes this.
  16. motorcitydave

That's cool, it never dawned on me that MCs would work. And good luck with that. :)

mikeburns likes this.
  17. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I currently do not own a PC or a Mac, we get by on smartphones, Ipads and tablets. But seriously, to highlight changes in sound when upgrading, you want to pass the signal through a computer sound card? Any benifits from a high quality outboard PSU would surely be deministed when faced with a low end AD convertion and a very noisy computer PSU!

18. John76

John76 Forum Resident

My recordings sound great and you would have a hard time disguising them from the original source. Give it a try sometime rather than speculate.

mikeburns likes this.
  19. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

If it works for you it probably would for others too. I for one just find it hard to harmonize a computer sound card with hifi. I think I'll hold on to my way of hifi listening which does not involve a PC sound card.

20. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Pics of a Benz Micro Scheu strapped to a 1200mk2, can be found, if 9oogled.

21. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

this is an interesting thread, thx for the input everyone

I have a 1200mk2 and the only thing I don't like is no auto-lift function. and no real options for a cue-tip etc aftermarket one either :(

...been hearing about these mods as well & considering some of them. but I don't want to sink a ton of cash into it

I use an Empire 698 as my main TT ( which I think sounds better ), but I use the 1200 for my non-mint/questionable vinyl

22. motorcitydave

Really. Wow, I never would have guessed, lol. :D

23. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

They really are an over-achieving deck. Cant wait to see where a few upgrades get me!

24. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Feel free to ask me questions as you go along. I've been there.

25. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I'm running a $1K plus Linn Klyde MC cartridge on my stock SL-1200 MK2. The tonearm is more than good enough for the cartridge and is in fact a real nice match height and weight wise for the arm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.