Jimi Hendrix's 'The Cry of Love' and 'Rainbow Bridge' Treated to Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crazyhorse11, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texquad

texquad Senior Member

So the long version of Room Full Of Mirrors was on the master tapes all along! I wonder why then when Robert Ludwig cut it originally that it was faded out early? May he was instucted to do so?

2. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I am spinning the new COL vinyl for the first time as I write. I will A/B against my RL original and report back later. My first impression is the RL really has it's work cut out, I cannot imagine it sounding better than this new beautiful sounding LP!! It is so open, clear and brilliant sounding....the sustained bass notes at the start of Drifting sounds incredible.

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Does your dad realize that more than a few jazz musicians were into drugs too? :)

4. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Good chance his father was taking drugs too. If so, most likely Dr. ordered...but still.

Biggest drug problem in the US is legitimate pharmaceutical drugs, prescribed and non.

BIG ED likes this.
  5. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

And on the song "South Southern Delta" he apparently used a Gibson Les Paul, but one equipped with p-90 single coils.

BIG ED likes this.
  6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Biggest problem with War Heroes is Mitch's awful overdubbed drums on Tax Free and Stepping Stone. Both vastly inferior the originals. I strongly suspect the overdubbed drums on Stepping Stone drums were done posthumously during the War Heroes sessions. I would not be surprised if Mitch did not replace any drum tracks during his lifetime actually. Happy to be proved wrong of course.

7. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

I bought them when I was just getting into JH and didn't really know about the overdubbed musicians etc. Not the best way to listen to him at all but they were the only way to hear the studio versions of most of those songs for many years. ML still has the only studio version of Machine Gun available officially.

BIG ED and John Fell like this.
  8. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Hi Chris

For these tracks are the same overdubs on First Rays and SSD?

9. Bull Moose

Bull Moose Well-Known Member

To be truthful, our site says jewel cases no matter what it is. Industry data feeds don't differentiate between jewel boxes, digipacks, mini LPs, etc. so everything defaults to jewel box. We'll get that fixed some day but that's pretty far down our to do list.

I just want to correct any misinformation we're spreading.

Wayne Hubbard likes this.
  10. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

I can answer for Chris and say "yes". Both "Tax Free" and "Stepping Stone" are the War Heroes versions. "Stepping Stone" is so much better with Buddy.

jhm and swedgin like this.
  11. Emperor5353

Emperor5353 Forum Resident

My thoughts as well..I have the original Reprise cd of this and the vinyl destroys it....Angel has never sounded better

BIG ED and johnny q like this.
  12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Monster bass and kick drum on Hey Baby:cool:

And that's the tune which hooked me in as a lifetime fan. First heard it surfing the FM radio dial, then made a cassette tape copy as the deck was always ready to go:)

13. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Thanks for that, the version with Buddy I take is the one on the Voodoo Child comp? Bought that and have never bothered playing it. Need to dig it out.

14. OnTheRoad

I don't mind if mine arrive in digipaks. I just don't like when the booklets are glued to the pak. Inserts are good.

15. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Actually (and I was surprised to re-read this as well) the drums on Stepping Stone were re done when Jimi was alive during a session on 24-June-1970 (where additional guitar overdubs were made as well). They even attempted new drums for "Earth Blues" during the same session. Not sure about Tax Free though.

crozcat likes this.
  16. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

I call this the Elvis Perception.
    If the doctor prescribed them it isn't a drug addiction.
    MJ to Rush Limbaugh, so many hold to this concept.
    Again, imo.

17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Yeah, I mentioned earlier in the thread that I told him quite a few of the jazz musicians from the fifties and sixties were heroin addicts.

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Nope, my dad is really straight. He doesn't even drink beer or smoke cigarettes any more and he has diabetes. He controls it with diet and exercise. I believe the only medicine he takes is high blood pressure medicine and an occasional allergy pill.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  19. OnTheRoad

Bottom line though is...

He doesn't listen to Hendrix.

:(

footlooseman likes this.
  20. Chris M

I don't think that is correct re Stepping Stone. Note that McDermott says Mitch added a drum track at an "undocumented session" in his Ultimate Hendrix book. I think the 24 June 70 date comes from the First Rays liner notes and/or first Sessions book - both written by McDermott over a decade prior to Ultimate Hendrix.

crozcat, BIG ED and dino77 like this.
  21. Chris M

Yes.

BIG ED likes this.
  22. OnTheRoad

The drums on Stepping Stone on the Voodoo Child collection is a Buddy Miles track isn't it ?

23. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

He must have been instructed to do that. I can't imagine Ludwig taking that type of liberty with a mastering unless told to do so.

24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Love that song!

reb likes this.
  25. street legal

street legal Senior Member

So if I only have the "Rainbow Bridge" tracks on the "First Rays ......... ", "South Saturn Delta", & the purple box set CD's, would it be worthwhile to pick up the new "Rainbow Bridge" CD? Is the upgrade in sound quality substantial?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.