The Rush cd mastering thread (part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ambassador

Ambassador Forum Resident

Only way to find out - ABX tests + ReplayGain.

rcsrich likes this.
  2. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I'll get right on that...now who's going to send me their set of 2009 Rush SHMs? Anyone? No takers, eh? :D

Ambassador likes this.
  3. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I may be able to give you the repeats of P. Waves and Signals that are coming in the mail, but I have no experience with selling things here (or anywhere online). I'll let you know if I figure everything out, then you can PM me.

4. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Tempting offer- I'll have to think about it...I'm not a "collector" in the sense that I am interested in necessarily having every copy of every album- it's more about having the generally agreed upon best (or best within a reasonable budget) copy, plus the 97's (because that's what I've been listening to since, well, '97). I know "best" can be subjective, especially with albums like GUP where it sounds like every mastering has its issues, but in some cases it seems like the differences become pretty subtle. Maybe at some point I'll even ditch the 97's (even though I recently told you not to ditch yours).

I'm just flattered that you'd consider passing some duplicates along to me- just wouldn't want to stand in the way of you getting what they are really worth! :)

5. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Well, have a silverface Hemispheres on the way I got for very little, so that's exciting! I swear that right before I really started to realize that the older pressings were the way to go, there were a whole slew of them sitting in the local record store used bin. Now, only 97's & one AFTK SF I already have a copy of. Bah! At least I have been able to source AFTK, ASOH MP and the US atomic Signals locally.

6. Ambassador

Same as my experience - it's been soooooo hard just finding Anthems at the local store - my Anthem AFTK and 2112 are two I'm particularly happy to have found. :)

rcsrich likes this.
  7. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

That seems to be just the way it goes....now I check a lot more frequently in case someone decides to unload a bunch.
    My sole Anthem is a copy of Counterparts- My US original went missing years ago, sad because I have fond memories of a buddy hand-delivering a copy to me in class the day it came out and what a pleasure of an album it was after RTB. I assume it sounds as good or better than the US version- I only have terrible quality MP3s left of it for comparison....

8. Ambassador

Releases Presto and after are identical in all countries - they standardized the masterings. I prefer the vinyl or AF SACD Counterparts due to the compression and over-processing of the CD.

rcsrich likes this.
  9. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

For Counterparts, get the AF SACD because it's less compressed than any other CD version and it has nice EQ. I'm only talking about the CD layer, so I don't know how much better the SACD layer sounds. I also have the original, '04 remaster, and the Studio Albums remaster, all of which have similar dynamics. We'll get to the Counterparts comparison soon enough.

rcsrich likes this.
  10. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Whoa!!!! That guy really has an axe to grind :) I read the entire thing and agree 100% I also spit out my coffee when I read "Spaghetti Lee!"

11. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

What I am about to say is not a joke but 100% honest to God truth:

As I write this, the entire lot of the 1997 remasters are in a box, on my driveway, awaiting the Veterens to come pick them up today......my donation.

Holy Diver likes this.
  12. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Maybe I'll track down the SACD for Counterparts once I've filled in the holes for some of the older albums. To my ears, the '04 remaster is a tad more squashed, can't comment on the others. When I first got into Rush in the late 80's, Counterparts sounded miles ahead of the "bassless" production of both Presto & RTB. I remember thinking with Presto that they were headed in a good direction, then RTB came out and I was not impressed. With Counterparts, it was still their newer sound, but with more of the "umph" of their earlier albums.

I almost walked out of a local Goodwill with a SACD-capable DVD player a few weeks ago for $15 but I had the good sense to plug it in- the DVD drawer was stuck in a loop of constant open & close.

13. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Dang! Hopefully some kid will pick them up cheap & start down the road of Rush fandom... :D

14. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Took em till '89 to say, "gosh, we can just make one digital master & then send that out to all the plants to use for CD production!" Brilliant. ;)

15. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Actually maybe 2- another for LP. 3rd for cassette?

16. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

I think the mastering for the Cassette version of Test For Echo is different. Its sounds quite different in a good way. I think one song even sounds like a different mix.

rcsrich likes this.
  17. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I know TFE often gets a bad rap, & yes it's compressed, but I thought at the time (& still think now) that it was a very decent album. After TFE, they lost me until CA...

johnny q and Stuart S like this.
  18. Ambassador

Would be interesting if the same "limitations" that prevent vinyl from having a loudness war mix also apply to cassettes.

19. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

Listened to Permanent Waves last night. First US press CD. I liked it. Just picked it up a week or two back. Might not be the best version but everything is nice and crisp..Spirit does have a little distortion right at the begining...like it gets blown out. I've heard that on a few versions though..

rcsrich likes this.
  20. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I don't think so, although if you saturate an analog tape, the result is a lot more "musical". You're not going to make a tape jump a groove because of too much signal tho...

Ambassador likes this.
  21. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I'm pretty happy with my US silverface...

SpinningInfinity likes this.
  22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

23. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Ambassador and Scope J like this.
  24. Ambassador

@rcsrish is correct. I actually tested the Japan mastering awhile back - it's identical to the US/Canada/etc. releases.

Only the SACD and the German/Brazilian vinyl releases as I mentioned are unique.

Scope J likes this.
  25. Ambassador

The 1st press US CD is the same as the silverface. Luckily, Perm Waves was one of the few more "universal" Rush masterings pre-Presto (and to an extent HYF).

rcsrich likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.