Inexpensive Audio Note UK OTO phono SE integrated amplifier, sounds great right out of box

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Well, it's still here but it's back to the AN Jinro for me. I have some work to do in here..

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I reckon Steve gave enough recommendations to put it on your short list if the price range is where you operate.

3. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

Actually, I am very happy to get the Oto back from Steve. My plan is to take this little integrated amp to people's homes, along with a pair of AN-K speakers, and see what kind of response I get. I heard this combination at a few of the audio shows lately, in the official Audio Note room, and it was truly a wonderful combination.

If there is anyone in the Los Angeles and Orange County area that would like to hear the Oto in their home, please let me know.

raferx likes this.
  4. Warren Jarrett

I have started a new thread, "Audio Note UK speaks to SteveHoffman readers". This is just a start. I'll get more out of them. :-popcorn:

5. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

Just picked up that the higher end kondo products are using this pot, from what I gather from the distributor down here.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALPS-RK50-r...thmic-pot-Japan-RK50112-/260966536400?afsrc=1

Would love to try a pot like that :)

6. Steve Hoffman

Warren dropped by today and we tube rolled the OTO. I put two Telefunken ribbed plates and 4 Siemens 6BQ4's in place of the Sovtek tubes so we had all NOS tubes in the line stage. Amazing upgraded performance for not much money. Made us realize that the OTO is truly a world class sounding playback device.

It's gone now but at least we know that the sound only improves with better sounding tubes. Voice to taste!

raferx and jfeldt like this.
  7. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

This is what I had hoped to hear from you Steve; just how well the Oto responds to tube rolling. Thanks again to you and Warren for all your insights on this amp. I can't wait for mine to arrive :)

8. Steve Hoffman

I'm learning that all Audio Note gear is very good with tube substitutions. In fact, they want you to try all kinds of tube brands.

raferx likes this.
  9. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

I'll be trying the Amperex you said Peter recommended to start.

10. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

Warren,

With which AN power amp would you partner the AN M3 Signature? The natural choice is the P3SE or P4SE, but after Steve's appraisal of the EL 84 based Oto SE I started wandering whether the P1SE (which is basically the Oto SE withou the pre, correct?) might be a good contender, love to hear how you see this.

11. Warren Jarrett

Henley, first I would like to say that the M3 preamp is not typically offered in a Signature version, well, it is not in my price sheet, so I ask you to confirm that yours is a Signature. If so, that was about a $3000 upgrade in parts quality compared to the M3. Any M3 is a very high-end Audio Note preamp, with the Signature version providing an extremely high level of resolution. I would advise that if your preamp has the Signature parts upgrades, then so should your amplifier be a Signature version.

The M3 has transformer coupled balanced circuitry, which makes it capable of extracting full advantage from the P4 amplifiers' fully balanced transformer coupled design. The P4 are mono blocks, with the highly beloved 300B tubes, two per channel, for 16 wpc, and takes its design from Audio Note's most impressive amplifiers, the Gaku-On, even though those are higher power, using 211 output tubes. So, the P4 Signature is your obvious choice to truly appreciate the ultimate in Audio Note's capabilities. That said, the P4 Signature amps are about $26000 per pair, and consider that any AN amp is going to provide a very palpable, live event in your living room. So, if you would like to buy an amplifier that takes-up less floor space and less bank-roll, the choices between a P1 Signature, P2 Signature, or P3 Signature largely depend on your speakers' power requirement and your particular interest in specific models of power tube.

The P2 Signature provides 18 wpc for 1/4 the price of a P4 Signature, using 6L6 or 5881 output tubes. The P1 is 10 wpc, less power, but the EL84 is a bit more respected than the 6L6 for providing very clean and accurate resolution, which is exactly what Steve and I heard with the Oto. If your speakers and room can accept 8 wpc, the P3 is definitely an upgrade, compared to either of the above. Based on the Meishu integrated amp, using 300B, this is just a beautiful sounding amp. Any Audio Note amp using 300Bs is very special, but the Signature version of this is indeed amazing in its resolution of very subtle details, "magic" 3-dimensionality, and superb dynamic quality. It is about 1/2 the price of a P4 signature.

If you need the power, you will choose between a P4 Signature or a P2 signature. If you can afford the P4 Signature, that is the one from which you will never desire to upgrade. To save some money, it is between the P1 SE Signature and P2 SE Signature. I would choose the EL84 tubes for their accuracy and extended bass and treble, or 6L6 for their greater power and characteristic tone.

So, as expected, my answer is that I like all of these amps for different reasons, and each of them would provide their characteristic advantage with your preamp.

raferx likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Thanks, Warren. I have not heard any of those except at a few shows and I was too preoccupied to get my facts straight. That's all changed now!

13. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

Warren, what about the AN Paladin or Vindicator if you don't need too much power to drive your speakers? And they are not much more expensive than the P1/P2?

14. Warren Jarrett

The Paladin and Vindicator have considerably less power than the amps we were discussing. The Paladin is 2 wpc using 45 tubes. The Vindicator is 3.5 wpc using 2A3 tubes. Thus they require truly very efficient speakers. I have not heard either of these amps, but I have heard horn-speaker/SET-amp enthusiasts rave about 2A3 and 45 power tubes. I would say these are very special amps for enthusiasts of these particular power tubes. Of course, I look forward to an opportunity to hear them for myself. A friend of mine is about to buy a pair of Avant-Garde horn speakers, so I believe I will get this opportunity soon.

15. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

Warren, thank you for your extensive answer, your insights are well appreciated given the extensive options of equipment pairing within the Audio Note catalogue.... Your right, the M3 is just a regular M3 Line so without balanced inputs (optional + $2,500-), would this mean that pairing it with the P4 still provides the advantage from the P4 amplifiers' fully balanced transformer coupled design, or do you required the balanced inputs in the M3? As all the internal wiring of the M3 (transformer, circuit and mains) are copper, does it still makes sense to pair it with other Silver/Signature edition AN equipment (amp, D/A, speakers) using silver wiring throughout, or is this a lost investment in synergy that will not be translated?

What I still like about the P1SE (besides Steve’s endorsement of the EL84 design) is that it is relatively inexpensive and will provide me some time to save up for a final upgrade in Audio Note’s rank, although I think that at $26,000- the P4's will stay out of reach for a while and possibly forever…

But first up are some Audio Note speakers. Next week I have the option to buy a nice demo pair of Audio Note AN-E’s with Hemp cones from an Audio Note dealer for a very attractive price. Given their efficiency of 98db, they could potentially be paired with the above mentioned Vindicator, which is something that I will serious consider as long as I can test this combination before buying as my listening room (living room) is midsize at 4.5 x 15 x 3.5. A lot of options and a lot of listening to do the upcoming months/years!

16. Steve Hoffman

Enjoy those Hemp E's. Great speakers.

Henley likes this.
  17. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I read this is single-ended pentode. I wish more people would give this topology a chance over the venerable triode. I've built my own SEP amplifiers using the EL34/KT88 and even a 807. I love the punch and dynamics - the sound is a little leaner than a SET but very clean and fast.

18. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

Thx Steve, I will probably go for a listen this Sunday or later next week, he has it hooked up to AN Oto Se Signature so this will be great fun.

19. Steve Hoffman

Let us know your impressions. Take pics.

raferx likes this.
  20. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

6BQ5/EL84s, 6L6/5881 amps? Swapping out tubes? If you're ever in the lovely Midwest, come on by... :wave:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  21. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

Bought a demo pair of AN-E SPE Signatures in black piano, for an attractive price. They will be delivered this Saturday, I will open a new thread with pics once they are in place. The Oto Se Signature will be my next purchase, beautiful amp and pairs really well with the AN-E's...

Don Parkhurst, Ortofun, gregr and 2 others like this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

Never saw them in PB. Congrats. Any idea what the seller replaced them with? Looking forward to the new thread.

23. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Wow, I bet they sound and look amazing. Please do start up a new thread and post pictures, I bet they're gorgeous. Congrats again!

24. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

I bought them from an AN dealer who is setting up a new dealership in Germany, he will base his system over there on the less expensive AN-E LX HE. Which I think is easier to sell then a pair of $26,000 Signatures.

He played and demoed with several different amps on the AN-E Sigs (98db) including the Ongaku, and he still thinks they partner best with the Oto Se Sig, which unfortunately he wasn't selling at a demo price....

25. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

Will do, but just strained my ankle.... hope I will be able to lift anything at all this weekend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.