All Things Must Pass: Hinged or flip top?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BuddhaBob, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident Thread Starter

Finally replaced my copy of All Things Must Pass after 4 decades. Seller said unplayed and box "close to NM".

But I really can't remember and wonder if all of them were the same, with a hinge on the box edge. This one lifts right off and looks like it was carefully trimmed where the hinge would be.

I want to leave useful feedback and encourage the seller to be accurate (starting with a PM about my concern first, of course). So, hinged or lift-off--or were there both styles?

2. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

If memory served, ATMP box was hinged... Concert for Bangladesh box was lift off.

apple-richard and Rooster_Ties like this.
  3. I have a beat up box, with immaculate records from the original pressing I found in Columbus, Ohio, nearly 20 years ago. It looks to be a lift off cover, like Bangladesh. I'm sure it was released in both, I've never seen a open top though, in person, or in photos.

wayneklein likes this.
  4. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

My copy, purchased when it was first released, was a lift off.

on7green and Kermit27 like this.
  5. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

I have an original US press and it is most definitely hinged.

vince and rstamberg like this.
  6. ascot

ascot Senior Member

My original U.S. copy is hinged and in decent condition. It still has the poster, too.

7. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Mine is hinged, but just by some thick paper.

8. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Just checked my copies of this--both original issues and an orange Capitol reissue all hinged. Even the RSD release from a few years ago is hinged.

9. We have an old beat-up copy around, which must be an original US, and it has the glue residue line of what was probably a hinge.

My own mid-70s copy, orange Apple, with the poster, has a full black paper hinge too.

10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I have one that's a hinge with credits on the back and one that's a lift off with credits on inside of cover lid. Both orange apple labels.

11. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

US, hinged. Credits on underside. Orange labels.

12. inigo jones

inigo jones Forum Resident

I've got two UK copies and they're both hinged. 1 has a US box and inner sleeves. I think the UK copies without a Clapton credit came in US boxes.

13. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Both my UK and German copies are (barely) hinged. I wouldn't necessarily count it against the seller, if the flimsy "hinge" were neatly trimmed so as to be able to open up the box. It's a PITA. My real interest would be in the playability and condition of the vinyl.

14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Ditto here. Hinged.

15. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

I have an original that's hinged as well, though since it's only thin paper the hinge gave out years ago. Now it's a flip top :)

16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The box for my original USA copy is still HINGED.

Arnie

BuddhaBob likes this.
  17. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Well, maybe I am wrong that mine was a lift off. I will pull it out tonight and check. It's odd how I distinctly remember lifting it off to get at the records inside, but I am not physically close to my albums right now.

18. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

My original UK ATMP is hinged. Original UK Bangladesh is lift off.

19. BuddhaBob

Thanks everyone. Apparently they were all hinged, as I thought I remembered. At least it is a very clean split. On the plus side, the seller had it listed as the U.S. 1976 Capitol, orange labels, and it is the '70 Apple set. :goodie: The poster is Mint on the front with only a tiny bit of tape residue on the back top corners and the original sleeves (3 different colors, with lyrics) are in good shape. The vinyl was listed M, so I hoped for VG+. They look VG- but they will clean up fine and be very listenable at a VG+ level.

I sent a PM to the seller at Discogs with some polite, constructive criticism. I'll wait to hear from them before leaving a mixed bag of feedback. If anyone wants a reference point I paid $46 US for this and am happy overall. If these had been the Capitol orange as advertised, they would be packed already to return, since the other faults would have killed the deal for me.

20. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

The hinged one definitely sounds better. I think it's slightly less compressed.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  21. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

insert smiley face

22. BuddhaBob

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

You were so excited when you first got the album that you ripped the cover right off, and never knew the difference.

Also, sorry that you and your albums are no longer physically close. I know how hard those separations can be.... ;)

Arnie

24. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Ditto on both.

25. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

My ATMPs are all hinged.

My Beatle collecting is clearly UNhinged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.