Jazz Beat (Part 29)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Aug 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

It's an excellent set. The sound is very good, I have all but the "new" material here on other sources, this is the best it's ever sounded.

It'll be around a while, but be sure to get it before it goes.

Exciting news I read today: Mosaic is planning another Eddie Condon Mosaic: Commodore and Decca sides.

2. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Cool. Nice to hear about more Condon!!

3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Has anyone ever done a big box of Red Garland?

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

As far as I know not officially, but I don't know about those European public-domain labels.

6. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

Oliver Lake & Donal Leonellis Fox - Boston Duets

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  7. Lonson

8. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

As far as I can tell, there were 2 released in the last few years -- I've seen them in emails I receive from Jazz Messengers -- one containing the recordings of his trio PLUS Coltrane AND one containing 9 of his "classic trio" albums with Paul Chambers and Art Taylor. That one, I believe, contains "Moodsville #6", which has never made it to CD.

9. Lonson

10. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

Jason Moran - All Rise - A Joyful Elegy For Fats Waller

[​IMG]

Joyful is the word, downloaded in hi-rez from Qobuz, sounds great !

11. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

Purchased these for £4 each sealed/new yesterday.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

12. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

RIP Kenny Wheeler - one of the most distinctive voices on his instrument

[​IMG]

Campbell Saddler, DrJ, hkm3 and 7 others like this.
  13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Got the hybrid SACD a few days ago and I'm now listening to the CD-layer: George Wallington - Jazz for the Carriage Trade - Prestige/Analogue Productions (mastered by Kevin Gray). A 1956 quintet date with Donald Byrd (trumpet), Phil Woods (alto saxophone), George Wallington (piano), Teddy Kotick (bass) and Arthur Taylor (drums).

[​IMG]

14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Maybe Mosaic would put something together. He was only on two labels AFAIK (Prestige and Galaxy) so I would think it wouldn't be too difficult to pull off.

NP Ahamad Jamal's Alhambra (Argo) live recording with his classic trio.

DrJ likes this.
  15. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

See my post #910. The 2 I mention are definitely "gray-market" releases, probably sourced directly from the OJC CDs and vinyl for the album that never made it to CD. Mosaic has rarely dipped into the Fantasy (now Concord) catalog. The HRS set is one example that I can remember. I'm sure Cuscuna wouldn't mind doing so, but I think the "corporate" types at that company are reluctant to license their stuff out.

16. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Red Garland recorded for Prestige (including sublabel Moodsville), Riverside, Galaxy, Timeless and I'm probably forgetting a few labels.

18. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

And, although I can't speak for him, I strongly suspect that Cuscuna would view a Garland set in the same way he would view a Three Sounds set.

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I think you're right. Let me put it this way: not everyone finds Red Garland's playing very interesting.

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Two labels I forgot to mention are Riverside's sublabel Jazzland and 32Jazz.

21. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

:laugh: Well, before we inspire those to speak up who simply cannot help themselves from doing so, all I'll say is that there is definitely a sameness to most of those Prestige recordings. And if I may go even further (although I know I may regret this), it's one of the reasons I find Miles' 2nd quintet recordings more interesting than the 1st quintet's.

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now something completely different: Archie Shepp - Four for Trane - impulse! (Japan). A 1964 date with Alan Shorter (fluegelhorn), Roswell Rudd (trombone), John Tchicai (alto saxophone), Archie Shepp (tenor saxophone), Reggie Workman (bass) and Charles Moffett (drums).

[​IMG]

23. Lonson

Cool! I'm eager for my preordered cd!

24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

The bulk of his output was Prestige/Moodsville and Galaxy.

25. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.