Mosaic to release Complete Dial Modern Jazz set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

Just heard from my contact at Mosaic that they will be releasing a complete Dial Modern Jazz Sessions set later this year. I don't have any details yet.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    Campbell Saddler and alankin1 like this.
  2. gst510

gst510 Forum Resident

Any chance it will be on vinyl?

3. J.A.W.

No idea, but I guess it'll be CD only - though that's speculation on my part :)

4. Claude

Claude Senior Member

There was a "Complete Dial Recordings" 10CD set released in Japan in 1995. It included 1945-48 sessions with Charlie Parker, Erroll Garner, Dexter Gordon, Howard McGhee, Red Norvo and others.

Maybe the Mosaic set has the same content or is limited to a "Modern Jazz" part of it, depending on how this is defined.

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I'll be watching for this.

6. J.A.W.

Just checked with Mosaic and it will indeed be CD only.

7. jfire

jfire Forum Resident

yes, curious to know what's on this.

8. therockman

All that Charlie Parker material looks interesting, especially March 28, 1946;

Charlie Parker Septet
    Miles Davis (trumpet) Charlie Parker (alto saxophone) Lucky Thompson (tenor saxophone) Dodo Marmarosa (piano) Arvin Garrison (guitar -4/11) Vic McMillan (bass) Roy Porter (drums)
    Radio Recorders, Hollywood, CA, March 28, 1946
    1. D1010-1Moose The MoocheDial LP 201; Spotlite (E) SPJ 101
    2. D1010-2-Dial 1003 (alt.1), 1003 (alt.2), 1004, 1004 (alt.1), 1004 (alt.3), LP 905; Spotlite (E) SPJ 101
    3. D1010-3-Spotlite (E) SPJ 101
    4. D1011-1Yardbird SuiteDial LP 201; Spotlite (E) SPJ 101
    5. D1011-4-Dial 1003, 1003 (alt.1), 1003 (alt.2), 1004 (alt.3), LP 905; Spotlite (E) SPJ 101
    6. D1012-1OrnithologyDial LP 208; Spotlite (E) SPJ 101
    7. D1012-3Ornithology (Bird Lore)Dial 1006, LP 905; Spotlite (E) SPJ 101
    8. D1012-4OrnithologyDial 1002, LP 201; Spotlite (E) SPJ 101
    9. D1013-1A Night In Tunisia (excerpt) (The Famous Alto Break)Dial LP 905; Spotlite (E) SPJ 101
    10. D1013-4A Night In TunisiaDial LP 201; Spotlite (E) SPJ 101
    11. D1013-5-Dial 1002, LP 905; Spotlite (E) SPJ 101
    * Spotlite (E) SPJ 101 Charlie Parker On Dial, Vol. 1
    * Dial LP 905 Charlie Parker - Alternate Masters, Vol. 2
    * Dial LP 201 Charlie Parker, Vol. 1
    * Dial LP 208 Dodo Marmarosa - Piano Moods
    * Dial 1003 (alt.1) Charlie Parker - Yardbird Suite / Moose The Mooche
    * Dial 1003 (alt.2) Charlie Parker - Moose The Mooche / Yardbird Suite
    * Dial 1004 Charlie Parker - Moose The Mooche / Tempo Jazz Men - When I Grow Too Old To
    = Dial no numbers Charlie Parker Septet With Gabriel On Trumpet
    * Dial 1004 (alt.1) Charlie Parker - Moose The Mooche / Tempo Jazz Men - Diggin' Diz
    * Dial 1004 (alt.3) Charlie Parker - Moose The Mooche / Yardbird Suite
    * Dial 1003 Tempo Jazz Men - 'Round Midnight / Charlie Parker - Yardbird Suite
    * Dial 1006 Sonny Berman - Curbstone Scuffle / Charlie Parker - Bird Lore
    = Dial D 1 Various Artists - Bebop Jazz 1947
    * Dial 1002 Charlie Parker - A Night In Tunisia / Ornithology

9. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

My biggest issue with this set is that it has all been out on CD before.

10. J.A.W.

Yep, and all those CDs are still available from Spotlite, that's why I was surprised to hear they were planning this set. Maybe the booklet will make the difference.

11. Okonrad

Okonrad Forum Resident

I agree. Many of us who would be otherwise interested in this will have these recordings in many different forms. Having it all together in one set will be an interesting presentation though and there is the possibility of much improved sound from what has come before. Back when Mosaic started there was a plethora of unreleased recordings to work with. Those days are gone now though.

12. J.A.W.

The various Spotlite/Dial discs were taken from the masters, which are owned by Spotlite. I wonder if the sound can be improved very much.

13. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Mosaic's options are decreasing by the minute. I'm surprised about this and the other upcoming set because I got the impression that they now felt their best avenue would be to release previously unreleased live recordings. They did that (partially) with the latest Satch set, and I expected them to continue down a similar road. However, the fact that Universal is now a 50% owner does open up some interesting new possibilities. Maybe Mosaic will finally get to dig into the Impulse vaults. Who's with me on a Shepp Impulse set? :)

lschwart, markp and Campbell Saddler like this.
  14. J.A.W.

I agree; some of their recent sets quite surprised me and, so do the upcoming ones. That said, it would indeed be interesting if they'd get access to the impulse! catalogue, although I was recently told (not by Mosaic) that Universal are not very keen to license their catalogue, including the recently acquired EMI stuff. The fact that they did license quite a few of their Verve and impulse! albums to Analogue Productions in the last few years contradicts that, of course. I would love a complete - and really complete this time - John Coltrane studio set with good sound. I didn't like the sound on the "complete" studio set that Universal put out years ago and that one is missing tracks that came out later on other releases. The AP impulse! hybrid SACDs that were mastered by Kevin Gray are wonderful, but they don't have the extra tracks the digipaks from the 1990s had. And yes, a Shepp impulse! set would be very nice :)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    Soulpope likes this.
  15. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

You can make it at least three people interested in an Impulse/Mosaic Shepp set :agree:

SteelyTom likes this.
  16. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Impulse would be a great label for Mosaic to explore. Agree with Shepp, plus Shirley Scott, McCoy Tyner vinyl box, and Possibly some theme sets like the Clifford Jordan Strata East set.

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  17. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

I hope they don't futz with the sound, which would be a fool's errand. The Spotlite reissues I have are flat transfers, AFAIK, and even the clicks and pops have a certain period appeal.

bluesbro likes this.
  18. J.A.W.

19. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

20. J.A.W.

Yep. I really don't understand why Mosaic chose to release this set.

21. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

The importance of this music is unquestioned, but yes I agree. I don't believe they feel they have many options left, though. As I said somewhere else, I think Cuscuna sees his best avenue is to find unreleased live stuff for the most part. Hopefully, part of that will be to convince certain artists to "let go" of their own personal archives. I guess we'll see.

EDIT TO ADD: I just noticed that this is an exact replica of the set compiled in Japan in 1995. This may be our answer. No cost to compile tracks. A way to make a few of the "easier" bucks for a project like this despite probably having to pay for permission to re-release THAT boxed set.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  22. therockman

For a guy like me, this is all new material and I am very interested in it. Does anybody know anything about the mastering abilities and techniques of Steve Marlowe and Jonathan Horwich? If this set is transferred from the original master tapes and well mastered, it just might be the ticket for a guy like me.

23. J.A.W.

Jonathan Horwich mastered the John Carter & Bobby Bradford Mosaic Select. He has also reissued a few rare jazz albums on his own label International Phonograph Inc.: http://www.discogs.com/artist/1351687-Jonathan-Horwich

24. J.A.W.

Yes, just saw that too. Interesting for those who have very little or nothing at all of this material - though I can hardly imagine any real jazz lovers without the Parker stuff :)

25. J.A.W.

Forgot to add that the original Dial masters were used; they are owned by Spotlite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.