Poll: Should Carpenters be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

EXACTLY! I provided a link above to all the R&R hall of fame inductees LOL!

2. Michael

Indeed...that guitar lead was pretty heavy back then!

3. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Couldn't disagree more. There was nothing rock & roll about the Carpenters, whereas Run DMC (and Madonna, and Public Enemy, etc.) had attitude and style and broke ground and took risks. So while their music didn't necessarily fall within the parameters of what rock & roll may be, they at least propagated the spirit and ethos.

The Carpenters made well-produced, pretty songs that had absolutely nothing to do with rock & roll in any way, shape, or form. They had no balls.

4. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

The guitar solo in Goodbye To Love was "pretty heavy" for 1972? Really?

D.D.

5. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

At this point....why the hell not ? :)

6. Michael

really...for their style of music... yes it was...

7. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

No, because nobody that had anything to do with rock n roll should be in there now.
    A new one needs to be started up, a REAL one that is about rock n roll. Not about everything that comes down the pike.
    And they should be in IT.

At this point, it is to an artists credit to not be in the RRHOF.

Sneaky Pete and Scott S. like this.
  8. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

Love Rock & Roll.
    Love The Carpenters.
    Voted No.

9. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

"For their style of music", perhaps. For 1972, nay nay.

I'll give Carpenters fans this : Karen Carpenter's voice was quite a thing. But maybe they should be held back until there's a Whitebread Hall Of Fame. Maybe one should be built specifically for them.

D.D.

10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

If Joni Mitchell and James Taylor overcame the wuss factor to get in, the Carpenters should too. On artistic merit, they trounce half the people who are in already.

11. before LINDA that's a real slap in the face

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I guess the Beach Boys could join them there.

Diamond Dog and JohnnyQuest like this.
  13. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Arguing who's in and who's out is part of the fun of any HoF! I wonder how many haters have actually been? After taking my first trip to Cleveland and expecting to spend a couple quick hours at the venue, but leaving only at closing time (5 1/2 hours!) and I still didn't see everything I wanted to! Carpenters? tough call. certainly not before the Moodies, Deep Purple, Chicago, Jethro Tull, and Yes, but honestly, I think they do need to spread out the inductees as they need someone with significant credentials every year of the classes would get tiny. An older friend of mine asked a brilliant question...What about Paul Anka and Neil Sedaka????

For that matter, I don't think Lennon or Harrison really deserve to be in on their solo work. Not that they aren't great, just not very prolific as soloists. And the E Street Band as a separate entry from Springsteen???

Since they've always had a person or two as non performers, why is Alan Parsons not in? He's likely as responsible for more of the greatest recordings as anyone.

What about Blood Sweat and Tears? Stevie Ray Vaughn, Doobie Brothers, King Crimson. For that matter, I was very surprised to see absolutely NO representation of the 80's hair bands - Iron Maiden, Def Leopard, Poison, etc. I'm not a fan, but surely one of them should be in there!

This could go on for days....so yeah the Carpenters could go in but way down the line!

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

There are different ways to take risks than wearing a ripped t-shirt or smashing a beer bottle on stage.

Sonic Youth didn't get your memo:

lj01, JimC and Fullbug like this.
  15. Don't even joke about something like that you might give the induction committee ideas

16. Kiss had the big hair does that make them a hair band?

17. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I get the impression that there are those who think that rock music was some bizarre stereotype that was about fuzzy sounding distorted guitars and loud drums.
    They just don't get it.

McLover likes this.
  18. Michael

The R&R hall of fame is so diluted it really wouldn't matter who they induct.

19. John54

John54 Senior Member

On the understanding that the Hall of Fame is a joke because numerous acts that deserve to be in it aren't yet (which I'll ignore for the purposes of this vote), and on the principle that the Hall covers "popular music" in general over the past 50-60 years, and despite the fact that I pretty much dislike the Carpenters' style of music in its entirety, I vote Yes anyway because I think they made their mark. Same as for Joni Mitchell: I'm not a fan whatsoever although I like a couple of songs, but she made her mark and deserves to be in.

20. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I vacillated between "frankly I don't give a damn" to "yes". I chose yes because the Hall of Fame really isn't about rock and roll per se, anymore. I say that as a fan of The Carpenters as well as a few of the "they ain't rock and roll" artists already in the Hall of Fame.

21. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Carpenters projected as charter members of the Treacly Eating-Disordery Singer-Songwriter Hall of Fame.

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Yes. End of story.

23. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Run DMC only had anything to do with rock when they collabed on Aerosmith's song. Attitude shouldn't cut it for the RRHOF, quality songs should be far more important than that. Madonna turned the RRHOF into a joke.

24. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

Maybe the can call it the 'Music Hall Of Fame'

25. Run-DMC are more "rock" than the Carpenters by several orders of magnitude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.