Stop/Start the platter when swapping records?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rob9874, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

With a Rega you are not supposed to stop the platter when changing sides. In the five years that I owed a Rega I managed to destroy two albums because of it:cussing:
    One was a very rare promo copy of Barry Galbraith Guitar and the Wind from 1958.

2. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

In what way would it be good for the platter to start and stop every time you change side? :confused:

3. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Have a hard time understanding how the felt map would destroy your records. Rega have used a felt map forever and ever and always told the user to not stop the platter. If you use a hard mat then I would understand it though. Or if your felt map is very dirty. I clean my mat every now and then and never put on dirty records.

4. arar

arar Senior Member

Apparently you can damage the platter if you change LP while it is spinning.
    I don't know, till now I never turn it off.

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

True all that, but I never said that it was the mat that destroyed my record.
    The record fell from my hands as the mat produced a strong static electricity charge while I was trying to change sides. This caught me by surprise and then the record fell from my fingers and got badly scratched.:D
    So, it wasn't entirely Rega's fault.
    But still, even after spinning vinyl for almost 25 years and having used many different tables, the whole idea of removing the record while the platter is still moving makes me very uncomfortable.

Bronth likes this.
  6. Been turning off my TD160 for 37 years now.

Ortofun and Chip57 like this.
  7. Bueller

Bueller Forum Resident

I place my records directly on the aluminum platter of a VPI Classic, so stop and start is a must. I give the heavy platter a little bit of a push start before turning on the TT so the pulley and belt don't squeal.

Coricama likes this.
  8. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I wouldn't do it (and don't).

Ortofun likes this.
  9. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

With an acrylic platter I'd be much more comfortable stopping the motor when changing records. If you've got a Rega with felt mat, well it's not a problem unless you have massive amounts of static electricity, in which case you are possibly courting disaster.

10. Citroen

Citroen vinylholic

Quick lift and place back, turntable speed not noticeably slowed, hard vinyl platter mat, no visible damage to vinyl, never slipped out of my hands on the Aura.

Quick, simple, and much better than stopping my high mass platter, and the waiting for it to regain accurate speed.

Having said that. I do not do this on the Garrard 401, as it seems to be much more sensitive, in terms of interrupting rotating speed, despite my thinking that it would be more resilient to this side changing.

The Well Tempered Amadeus on the other hand, turning sides is a breeze.

So turntable specific, rather than platter specific?

BTW, vinyl is a quite durable material and you really have to do quite a bit to damage it.

inperson and Long Live Analog like this.
  11. Chip57

Chip57 Member

Hi just a quick question to the OP in case I missed it.
    What type of TT are you running?
    I'm reading all kinds of turntable replies but we might better help if you tell us what yours is?
    Sorry if I missed it somewhere in the thread.:shh:

Ortofun likes this.
  12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

His profile says that he is using a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon.

Rob9874 likes this.
  13. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Rarely bother to stop it -- unless I am packing records away and wondering what to play next. Generally do a needle lift and return, clamp lift, then LP up and over, clamp back, needle drop….it's pretty automatic by now and I am not sure I could unlearn it. My SME seems to age better than me.

arar and Long Live Analog like this.
  14. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Spinning - never had a problem. Ever.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  15. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

I always Stop/Start to change records. Not worth risking any of my records for the couple of seconds it takes to do so. I have a VPI Scoutmaster.

TLMusic likes this.
  16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

When I get static, my mat usually comes off and gets dangerously close to my stylus! So you ain't kidding! I guess I should get a static gun.

wgriel likes this.
  17. ranonranonarat

ranonranonarat Well-Known Member

i don't think we'll ever get a definitive answer on this...

i personally don't ever stop the platter, not sure if it's because of sheer laziness or the fear of messing up the power on/off switch by wearing it out potentially. there are of course going to be a lot of detractors to this which i understand but i would love to hear from people who used to never stop the platter while changing and had issues with damaging the motor etc later on.

how long is that start/stop button made to last btw?

18. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

I had huge problems with that when I had a TT with a felt mat. Even when the motor was off, the felt mat stuck to the LP and often came dangerously close to the stylus. I wound up replacing the felt mat because I figured it was just a matter time before I damaged something.

19. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Next poster was right, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

20. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I stop my VPI Classic 2 every time. I can't really think of a good reason not to.

21. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

As with everything from your car to your computer. Start/stop shortens the life time of the product, increasing risk of damage to the components.

I have used a leather mat on my Rega to reduce statics but always went back to the felt mat. The bass is always getting compromised with other mats than the standard felt mat. I guess it's because the thick felt mat is a better support to the record. If a record is slightly warped I can see that the felt mat is still supporting it compared to the leather mat which cause a small separation between mat and record.

In terms of statics the best way to remove it is to clean the record in distilled water and put it back into a antistatic inner sleeve. Doing so will decrease static problems with a felt mat with almost 100%.

22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

My precious LPs just have to suck it up.

23. Artyom Yakovlev

Artyom Yakovlev Active Member

What? How on Earth is it possible to destroy a record while stopping the platter?

24. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Thanx! That worked well.

dianos likes this.
  25. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I always turn the motor off. Something about removing an item from something that is moving that makes no sense, almost as nothing good can happen. I mean....none of us would step out of a moving vehicle, would we? would we?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.