CD-Loving Japan Resists Move to Online Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

Yes, because streaming services barely exist in Japan. Most of the major players (Spotify etc) have been unable to reach agreements with Japanese record companies. So digital sales are not down in Japan due to streaming.

Germany is another country where CD sales still constitute a large majority of the market. Even in the USA CD sales still represent over 40% of the total. I don't know what the % is in Australia, but I'd be willing to bet it's still well over 50%. I get the impression that the Japan situation is annoying a lot of people in the industry because they would like to ditch the CD as a format, but they can't when the second largest market (Japan) vastly prefers CDs to downloads.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hallelujah !

Peter Pyle likes this.
  3. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

One might be pleased that this statistic suggests high quality machines that play Compact Discs will likely continue to be manufactured for some time.

Peter Pyle likes this.
  4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean those high quality CD (or SACD) players will be available outside of Japan. Just look at, for example, Denon's domestic CD/SACD player lineup....not available in the USA

5. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Not everyone in Japan live in tiny apartments. This may be true in high rent districts in Tokyo but that is certainly not the norm. Outside of metropolitans people live in houses.

Hutch and Jimmy Agates like this.
  6. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Great article and nice to know that the physical digital media will not die too early ;)

apesfan likes this.
  7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

If necessary, I'll buy two apartments. One for me, one for the CDs. Where there's a will, there's a way. :)

Peter Pyle and John Fell like this.
  8. KeithH

However, a lot of them probably will not be made in Japan.

9. KeithH

This is nothing new, unfortunately. Thanks for the link. Those Denon players look nice. I bet at least some of them sound very nice.

10. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

He didn't say country. He said market and Europe is pretty much treated as a single market for music distribution purposes. The UK possibly excepted.

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I like the way you think!

(Be sure to take pictures!).

12. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

We love ya Japan...:)

Shak Cohen and Peter Pyle like this.
  13. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

It's hassle free just loading up a cd & pressing play.

apesfan, soundboy and abbeyroad2 like this.
  14. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Awwwwww.... my heart bleeds for them.

abbeyroad2 likes this.
  15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Snarks have low reading comprehension.

Pizza and Gary like this.
  16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Still, have to imagine European nation states or sub regions are their own markets for the purpose of the original statement. I'm sure South America is also bigger than Japan if taken as a whole.

17. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

More likely he was dissatisfied with MP3's. Otherwise the hard drive library is perfect for music lovers that love to listen only and not fondle physical media.

18. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Absolutly! Why do I have to get aboard some trend if I dont want to. Sometimes I feel we in this country are very behind Europe and East Asia in free thinking and the" individual" as it pertains to their own preferences. America might not have invented Liberty and personel freedom but we ran with it 240 years ago and somehow we managed to drop the ball. Good for those around us who picked up the gauntlet. John M.

19. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

No, a substantial part of his collection is in flacs. And not that he wants to purge it, but he seemingly needs to pick up physical copies of selected entries to be able to focus on them.

A physical copy creates a special kind of an emotional attachment, which gets established when you decide to look it up, wait for the delivery (if bought online) or bring it hastily home (if acquired over the counter), arrange a place for it on your shelf, pick it up to look at the cover or read liner notes or spin it on your stereo. Some of those steps can be shared and discussed with your friends or forum members. Another advantage is in the limited number of entries you can have, usually restricted by storage space or financial resources, which makes you curate your collection more carefully, occasionally review or trim it.

Indeed, it is all much less convenient than having everything available and sharable with one click, but as with many other aspects of life, the effort can be very rewarding. I would compare it to climbing a mountain and travelling to a remote place, where reaching the final destination is just a part of the fun. I guess that guy has just started to realize it. :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    Ham Sandwich and Peter Pyle like this.
  20. ElvisCaprice

How do you go from climbing a mountain to owning physical media over hard drive digital? Let's just say that "some" people enjoy this special attatchement to physical media, pretty pictures, whatever. Whereas some people love minimalizing their surroundings and hard drive library is perfect for them. You can still get all the pretty pictures on the screen.
    You learn in life that physical possessions become a burden and to reduce those burdens is to free oneself. :righton:

mattdm11 likes this.
  21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I like having physical product as well. This is a hobby and I don't mind handling my cds and lps, it is part of the fun. Staring at a computer screen while listening to music is distracting. I was watching my wife peruse one of her ring binders full of cds and popping in cds in our garage system. It was a nice day to sit outside. No computer needed.

22. Then again, it's pretty common in Japan for there to be places where you can rent CD's, so renting one and ripping it would be stupifingly easy.

ElvisCaprice likes this.
  23. ElvisCaprice

Or better you streamed the music out to the garage, had put it on random play, thus your we're not distracted by the need to get up and pop cd's into a player? It's all relative, isn't it?

nbakid2000 likes this.
  24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Esoteric is available here.

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Streaming means a different configuration, no thanks. I already have a nice system outside, I'm not interested in spending money on streaming. My point was my wife enjoyed flipping through her cds and making selections. Who wants random play when in the mood for a specific title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.